PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

How do you eat healthly on £50 a week?

Comments

• Shashwoo
    Shashwoo Posts: 239 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I am only new to this whole saving money thingymajig but I am learning things every day!!!

I spent £75 on a shop 2 weeks ago to last us a month there is only me and the OH and we have OH's son over every other Sat night.

I carefully planned and bought things I knew I could make several meals out of e.g frozen chicken breasts they cost about £5-6 but you get plenty. also as i call it smack price items, a lot of them, I figured half the time you can't tell the difference or add salt/pepper/spices to it to stop it tasting bland.

The only thing I have had to go out and spend money on since going shopping is Milk, and to be honest I usually buy the UHT stuff but forgot this time.

There is ways to shop for less howver still eat healthy it's just finding help to show you the light :)

Woo x

:kisses2::smileyhea:love: 1st June 2012 @ 1pm I married the man of my dreams!!!
  • quintwins
    quintwins Posts: 5,179 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    i use value chopped tom,and i find them fine, we also use value pasta and i always keep a tube of tom puree in so if the boys need a quick tea they have pasta with a handful of frozen peas and sweetcorn and some tom puree makes a very cheap meal and they love it, oh doesn't acually like tomatoes altho he will eat chilli or spag bol but he won't eat this but it's good for the kids if we decided to get a takeaway or they need to go 2 bed and were running late
    DEC GC £463.67/£450
    EF- £110/COLOR]/£1000
  • CH27
    CH27 Posts: 5,531 Forumite
    I use value chopped tomatoes too & they are fine.
    Try to be a rainbow in someone's cloud.
  • macwah97
    macwah97 Posts: 126 Forumite
    quintwins wrote: »
    i use value chopped tom,and i find them fine, we also use value pasta and i always keep a tube of tom puree in so if the boys need a quick tea they have pasta with a handful of frozen peas and sweetcorn and some tom puree makes a very cheap meal and they love it, oh doesn't acually like tomatoes altho he will eat chilli or spag bol but he won't eat this but it's good for the kids if we decided to get a takeaway or they need to go 2 bed and were running late

Must be a Norn Iron thing!!!! My daughter will not eat tomatoes but will eat spag bol AND rice with tomato puree!!!!! stirred through Eugh!! BUT puree veg with tom puree and she gets her veg with brown rice or wholewheat pasta.

For anyone who has an aversion to chicken thigh meat I found that Nigella's Chicken with 40 cloves of garlic a godsend....I use boned and skinless thighs when on offer and do not use 40 cloves of garlic, the wine is then used as a treat and the children eat the greens because they have helped cook it.....do not use potatoes but use Lidl baguettes and spread the sweetened garlic on top - yummy.....here's a link (hope it works)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/chicken_with_40_cloves_64582

Can be as cheap or expensive as you want.....I buy sticker stuff

xx

(ps our french friends cook this with a heavy weight wrapped in foil placed on top of the thighs in casserole - helps get more juice from meat - and serve with spinach or chard + the bread)
    Live as cheaply as possible
    Current debt £85k (includes mortgage):(
    Taxman £7500 :mad: bank of FiL 760 Simply B 945 Jacamo 150 Ccs 3000
    A lurker not a shirker, part-time worker and carer for DH (recovering from Cancer and recently diagnosed as a Diabetic with Heart problems) and DS who is suffering from MH issues
    £1 a day Xmas 2015 7/364
  • feedumall
    feedumall Posts: 360 Forumite
    amazon do a basmati rice 10kg for 10.97 or less delivered,one of the best i have tried,i split it with my daughter
  • macwah97 wrote: »
    Must be a Norn Iron thing!!!! My daughter will not eat tomatoes but will eat spag bol AND rice with tomato puree!!!!! stirred through Eugh!! BUT puree veg with tom puree and she gets her veg with brown rice or wholewheat pasta.

For anyone who has an aversion to chicken thigh meat I found that Nigella's Chicken with 40 cloves of garlic a godsend....I use boned and skinless thighs when on offer and do not use 40 cloves of garlic, the wine is then used as a treat and the children eat the greens because they have helped cook it.....do not use potatoes but use Lidl baguettes and spread the sweetened garlic on top - yummy.....here's a link (hope it works)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/chicken_with_40_cloves_64582

Can be as cheap or expensive as you want.....I buy sticker stuff

xx

(ps our french friends cook this with a heavy weight wrapped in foil placed on top of the thighs in casserole - helps get more juice from meat - and serve with spinach or chard + the bread)

How many Garlic cloves can you get away with??! Thanks for the recipe thouh. I thinkI will have a go at this one. :D;)
    Did you see on the Nigella Link the the Top Recipe tip at the bottom?? I loved that also and think I would make up too many chicken thighs to make the next days tea too!!
    Thanks for your help and suggestions on this thread Peeps! :T
    Foxy
  • Hi
    Haven't posted on the thrfty forum before but have been inspired by other posters.:)

Family of 4 - 1 very hungry OH!
    me
    2 kids - with massive appetites....

I shop monthly - topping up with fresh stuff once mid month.
    I work out a full months menu at the begining of the month - it includes a wide variety of meat dishes, fish dishes, veggie dishes - a mixture of cooked from scratch meals and easy to do for those rush evenings!! (breakfasts, lunch - for me and the kids - and dinners - with proper homemade puddings at the weekends, fruit and yog's during the week)
    From this I make a complete shopping list,
    adding store cupboard items - flour, mixed fruit, all soft drinks, etc.
    I also add all household essentials - cleaning products etc
    I add all the toilettries for the whole family, including moisturisers, make-up, etc
    I add 4 large bottles of value cider. 4 bottles of wine - for me and OH for month.
    I add food for 2 hamsters and 2 rabbits:D.
    Often I add one or two specials - ie more socks for the kids, a pair of leggings for me, new mop, whatever is needed.

I only get what's on the list at the supermarket, use any money off vouchers, search the yellow stickers and deals - but never deviating from the list!! If it's not on the list we don't need it and it will probably end up not being used!!:o

All of this - including the mid month top up - £250.00 - approx £59 per week.:)

If I had a big chest freezer and more cupboard space I could prob get it down further :o - and to think about 3 years ago I was spending about double that !! Yikes:eek:

Been loving all the receipe suggestions too - some of which I'll be including in November's monthly menu!!:T
  • DebtFree2012
    DebtFree2012 Posts: 3,573 Forumite
    Thanks for bumping this thread - it's an old fave of mine :)
    Debt - CCV £3792
    CCB £1383 (took a hit for a holiday)

Loan 1 £1787
    Loan 2 £1683
    Total £8601 Was £39302
  • There are two simple ways to save loads off your supermarket shop budget.

1. Never ever ever buy meat in pieces because it is a LOT more expensive than if you just buy it whole. I got an absolutely massive whole 4kg salmon and paid about 11 quid because it was reduced, took it back to the fishmonger who cut it into fillets and it did us for about 20 meals, buying salmon fillets from the fish section would cost about £5 for two. Same with chickens, 2 chicken breasts for nearly £5 is not in any way a deal when you can get a free range chicken for £9. Just roast the thing, pick all of the meat off the carcass so you don't mentally think of it as individual pieces and serve it that way and then you can use the meat for anything from pies, to risotto, to sarnies and then boil the carcass for soup which brings me to number 2

2. Don't just cook one meal at a time. That is by far the most expensive way to cook because you are having to have 7 different lots of ingredients for an entire weeks worth of dinners. If you make Ragu for a bolognese, then don't just make enough for one meal, make a massive pot of the stuff so you can either have it for dinner for a few days, or you can freeze the bulk of it and have it later.
    It's not easy having a good time. Even smiling makes my face ache.
  • LameWolf
    LameWolf Posts: 11,234 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    It's going to be even tougher to fill the family's tummies with the price of food going up and up....:(

Fwiw, I generally budget for £200 per month for the two of us, we don't stint ourselves (gives me some cutting-back leeway if things get worse;)). I have a really tiny appetite, but my DH could eat for England.:D

Also, we eat veggie food at home always (DH has meat if we're out for a celebration) because I simply cannot cope with handling meat or fish._pale_

I always try to keep enough food in the house that I could feed us for a fortnight from the cupboard and freezer (in case my dodgy health takes a turn for the worse and I'm unable to shop - I don't like online grocery shopping as I can't handle delivery men coming to the house) and keep these stocked from the monthly budget. I also stock up if I see a non-perishable item I use regularly on special offer.

We buy a month's worth of cheese (of which we use a lot:D) at the monthly Farmers Market - there's a wonderful stall that does all their own cheese and it's all made with veggie rennet; I buy eggs at another stall there, and bread flour. We visit the fruit'n'veg market weekly, as I get better quality and value than in any supermarket; we use several different supermarkets, depending on what I'm purchasing; and in season - and when I'm well enough - we go out and forage for free food - I got a whole load of apples for free recently, and blackberries, so lots of crumbles being made for puds at present;:D and a while back we had a load of cherry plums from local trees - I make all our own jam, too, btw.

I used to grow a lot of my own veg, but sadly I'm not able to garden anymore.:(

I do cook from scratch always - as much as anything, because I have to be careful to watch for hidden things like gelatine in food, that would make me ill.

With toiletries and cleaning stuff, I always have one on the go, and one spare in stock. When the spare gets opened, the item goes on the shopping list, so we're never desperate enough for something to have to buy it from the garage convenience shop, iyswim.:o

I have all the expenses and a meal plan on an Excel sheet - the meal plan is flexible enough that I can switch a couple of days around; for instance if I had a complicated meal down and I was in a lot of pain on a given day, I'd switch with a day when we had pasta with cheese sauce listed, which I can make on autopilot.:o
    If your dog thinks you're the best, don't seek a second opinion.;)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure