PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

How do you eat healthly on £50 a week?

Comments

• patchwork_cat
    patchwork_cat Posts: 5,874 Forumite
    quintwins wrote: »
    Northern.ireland

Ahh the ferry crossing would cost too much for me to come and stock up!! Damn
  • jem1980
    jem1980 Posts: 191 Forumite
    Way to make leftover chicken and sausages into filling meal:
    Fry chopped onion & garlic. If you have any leftover peppers etc add these too. If using raw chicken (1 breast in small cubes?) add now, but you can add cooked chicken near the end instead.
    Add turmeric & mild chilli powder, along with rinsed long grain rice, and fry for 1 min (keep it moving!) before adding chicken stock and a bayleaf. Make sure there's enough liquid for rice to absorb and cook. Add more liquid as needed. Cook for 15mins (or until rice is cooked), stirring occasionally. Then add frozen peas, cooked chicken if using, cooked sausages cut into pieces if using, few defrosted frozen prawns if you want? (you can vary all these and a little goes a long way). Cook for 5 more mins, stirring regularly. remove bayleaf and serve.

I do this with lots of rice and less meat, and it goes a long way. Like a home-made savoury rice? Not sure where recipe came from.
    June GC 21st May - 20th June (£78/£200)
  • Hi Guys, it's been ages since i've posted but i'm an avid lurker lol. My SC, steamer & breadmaker are essential in my home. I just did an online shop today for the month & came to £150 approx, will prolly last more than a month but that didn't include fresh meat, fish or veg, i've had horrible experiences with fresh stuff in online shops. I'm disabled so i find it a Godsend to online shop for bottle of juice & heavy stuff. The problem i have is an autistic 6yr old son. He's so fussy it's beyond belief, i have tried puttin things infront of him & said that's all he's getting, but even down to if it's not cooked in the same way, then he will choose something familiar like a cheese sandwich, the only pizza's he'll eat are chesse & tom, no bits ... tonight, dinner was so cheap, i made a daily loaf today in the breadmaker (i found the cheapest bread flour is from Lidl @ 60p per bag & i get 3x loaves from it.) i cut off 2 chunky slices, put on 2x tbsp of lidl pasta sauce (17p) & 2x small handfulls of asda grated cheddar .. he said it's the best pizza he's tasted, bless him :)
    I'm just frustrated he won't try anything new or out of his comfort zone, i'm an avid & qualified cook, so his nutrition is extremely important to me. he won't eat fruit or veg at all, not even an apple, but will drink it in juice. I tend to shop alot at Lidl as it's my local store (right next door in fact lol). i can't drive & i take my granny trolley (4 wheeler) shopping. The staff are used to me now after 2 yrs of filling my trolley as that's all i can take home, saves me over buying. With my arthritis & back injury getting worse, i can't shop around & have to resort to asda online or lidl. As i love fruit & veg, there's always alot in the home. i've been eating alot of my own take on greek salad, it's cheap & cheerful :) I just wish my lil monster would eat it. Last week i got a free range chicken from lidl & slow cooked it, took everything off it & 1 of the dishes i made was a chicken & tagliatelle it made 3x meals for me, i sauteed 2x red onions, 2x cloves of garlic added the shredded chicken, then added a loyd grossman's smokey bacon sauce, added the cooked tagliatelle & 2x handfulls of grated cheddar, i had 1x portion with my greek salad & salad leaves ... so yummy ...
    Any help or idea's for my son i would be grateful for .. i've tried hiding veg in things etc & he know's. Or, if he comes into the kitchen & see's me preparing it with hidden extra's, he won't eat it. I'm near to tearing my hair out!!
    Thanx ... GB
    £2 Savers £22
  • MaggieBaking
    MaggieBaking Posts: 964 Forumite
    Grotbags69 wrote: »
    Hi Guys, it's been ages since i've posted but i'm an avid lurker lol. My SC, steamer & breadmaker are essential in my home. I just did an online shop today for the month & came to £150 approx, will prolly last more than a month but that didn't include fresh meat, fish or veg, i've had horrible experiences with fresh stuff in online shops. I'm disabled so i find it a Godsend to online shop for bottle of juice & heavy stuff. The problem i have is an autistic 6yr old son. He's so fussy it's beyond belief, i have tried puttin things infront of him & said that's all he's getting, but even down to if it's not cooked in the same way, then he will choose something familiar like a cheese sandwich, the only pizza's he'll eat are chesse & tom, no bits ... tonight, dinner was so cheap, i made a daily loaf today in the breadmaker (i found the cheapest bread flour is from Lidl @ 60p per bag & i get 3x loaves from it.) i cut off 2 chunky slices, put on 2x tbsp of lidl pasta sauce (17p) & 2x small handfulls of asda grated cheddar .. he said it's the best pizza he's tasted, bless him :)
    I'm just frustrated he won't try anything new or out of his comfort zone, i'm an avid & qualified cook, so his nutrition is extremely important to me. he won't eat fruit or veg at all, not even an apple, but will drink it in juice. I tend to shop alot at Lidl as it's my local store (right next door in fact lol). i can't drive & i take my granny trolley (4 wheeler) shopping. The staff are used to me now after 2 yrs of filling my trolley as that's all i can take home, saves me over buying. With my arthritis & back injury getting worse, i can't shop around & have to resort to asda online or lidl. As i love fruit & veg, there's always alot in the home. i've been eating alot of my own take on greek salad, it's cheap & cheerful :) I just wish my lil monster would eat it. Last week i got a free range chicken from lidl & slow cooked it, took everything off it & 1 of the dishes i made was a chicken & tagliatelle it made 3x meals for me, i sauteed 2x red onions, 2x cloves of garlic added the shredded chicken, then added a loyd grossman's smokey bacon sauce, added the cooked tagliatelle & 2x handfulls of grated cheddar, i had 1x portion with my greek salad & salad leaves ... so yummy ...
    Any help or idea's for my son i would be grateful for .. i've tried hiding veg in things etc & he know's. Or, if he comes into the kitchen & see's me preparing it with hidden extra's, he won't eat it. I'm near to tearing my hair out!!
    Thanx ... GB

Can you speak to your local doctor and see if he can recommend a nutritionist for advice?

I'm not really sure about how strong your son's condition is but I have seen in the TV shows for children's eating habits that one of the best ways to deal with it is to help them familiarise themselves with the food rather than seeing it as "alien". Asking them for help to make smiley faces from fruit, rainbow kebabs, help you prepare dinner so they handle carrots and things and at no stage during this should you tell them to eat anything. More, you have a quick nibble on something say "yum" and ask if they want to try, if they don't - carry on and don't dwell on it.

If he likes cheese and bread, perhaps one day ask for his help shopping and get some different cheeses, and some different breads and make a platter with him, cubing up the cheese and the bread for your dinner, not his and see if he fancies trying something. Not every kid has to like everything but when they feel the pressure they think they "have" to eat it and that makes them dislike it automatically. Help him see that different foods are different - you don't like broccoli but you do like cauliflower and perhaps he might like broccoli for example.

2011-03-15-double-rainbow-pancakes-skewers-500.jpg
  • Vee_Moore
    Vee_Moore Posts: 2 Newbie
    edited 20 July 2011 at 9:51AM
    CH27 wrote: »
    I go to the farm shop once every 4 weeks and buy

4 chickens £16 -- each chicken makes 3 main meals & sandwiches and soup

2 gammon joints £10 -- each does 3 main meals + soup & sandwiches

2kg mince beef £5 -- this will make 7 main meals. I make chilli, spag bol, cottage pies etc

18 sausages £8 -- these makes 3 main meals

18 rashers of bacon £9 -- makes 3 main meals when added to pasta sauce.

I also buy whatever is on offer ie pork or lamb mini roasts etc.

I never spend more than £60 to last 4 weeks.
    The meat is all excellent quality.

I went to the farm shop today & bought

5lbPotatoes
    2lb carrots
    Green beans
    6 onions
    2 leeks
    6 eggs
    mushrooms
    red pepper
    10 apples
    5 bananas
    5 pears
    5 small oranges
    melon
    Lemons
    Limes

Cost £12.50 so I spend £50 every 4 weeks on fresh fruit & veg.
    I grow my own tomatoes.

So I spend £60 on meat & £50 on F&V which leave £90 for pasta, rice etc.

Hope it makes sense. I'm trying to do several things at once:D

That certainly looks like a good shopping week. I will try getting the same value for money.
  • itsallinthemind
    itsallinthemind Posts: 3,114 Forumite
    Grotbags.......I feel your pain. My A typical child eats anything and is a fruit, veg, salad monster. My autistic child will not eat anything cold and wet(like salads) or dry. So it is lots of curry, chili, tagines, casseroled here! Every few weeks I make up a vat of freezable starter sauce and freeze in small bags. I add every veg imaginable, cook it and blend with tinned tomatoes. Also does he not have a contact at the school/hospital/CHAMS? They would normally help with this if his food intake is low as a result. How about giving him a high picture content cookbook and asking him to choose something for you to cook together but that it must be something that you have not had before, then go into LIDL together to get the ingredients and cook together? Try a few things, thinking out of the box and always baby steps
  • ubamother
    ubamother Posts: 1,190 Forumite
    Grotbags69 - I think your two issues are getting him to be comfortable with new food, and getting better nutrition down him while you're doing it. In terms of getting more fruit down him, pureeing and sieving berries then freezing as ice-lollies works well - things like blackcurrants give a good fruity taste and hide banana puree really well. As MaggieBaking said, getting him to help cut up fruit would be great (especially when he gets fruity hands - if you can get him to lick the juice off their hands at least he's getting a taste of the fruit by his own actions so he feels some control) Is he competitive? If so doing a 'food olympics' can be a good way of getting new food in him. If he likes a cheese sandwich, would he try a cheese savoury sandwich? If he copes with messy food, it's amazing what you can get into a bolognaise or tomato based pasta sauce with spaghetti, or if he can't do sloppy food, a cheese and onion pastie can include finely chopped carrots, peas etc. Watching cookery programmes together can spark an interest in new and unusual things - my 11 yr old thinks masterchef is fabulous and we watch and talk about ingredients, flavours etc. that they're using that we've never tried.
  • itsallinthemind
    itsallinthemind Posts: 3,114 Forumite
    Oh, quick thought grotbags, if he loved the mini pizza, get him to make it. Getting involved with any food, even if not new, will help him.
  • JWF1958
    JWF1958 Posts: 19 Forumite
    I spend just over £40 pw for 2 adults + 1 veggy teenager, who actually rarely eats with us. Diet includes home made bread, few items from the garden, most meals made from scratch, weekly veg shop at market, 'value' items for store cupboard (value tinned toms no different to one costing twice as much), porrige for breakfast (cheap and filling). I've really cut back on snacks and junk food, so they have become the occasional treat, not everyday. 11p noodles from Morrisons make good late night snack. Wine concentrate £5.50ish plus sugar + yeast + 6 weeks ok for 6 bottles of plonk. I think we eat really well, but if food continues to rise... btw I pay £1 per kilo basmati - back of Tesco with all the 'ethnic' food.
  • DebtFree2012
    DebtFree2012 Posts: 3,573 Forumite
    JWF1958 wrote: »
    I spend just over £40 pw for 2 adults + 1 veggy teenager, who actually rarely eats with us. Diet includes home made bread, few items from the garden, most meals made from scratch, weekly veg shop at market, 'value' items for store cupboard (value tinned toms no different to one costing twice as much), porrige for breakfast (cheap and filling). I've really cut back on snacks and junk food, so they have become the occasional treat, not everyday. 11p noodles from Morrisons make good late night snack. Wine concentrate £5.50ish plus sugar + yeast + 6 weeks ok for 6 bottles of plonk. I think we eat really well, but if food continues to rise... btw I pay £1 per kilo basmati - back of Tesco with all the 'ethnic' food.

Hiya there - are the tinned toms (value) not quite watery? I use mostly value products but when I bought some tinned toms a while back they were watery and gave very little taste - hoping this isn't the case now based on your post?
    Debt - CCV £3792
    CCB £1383 (took a hit for a holiday)

Loan 1 £1787
    Loan 2 £1683
    Total £8601 Was £39302
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts