PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

How do you eat healthly on £50 a week?

Comments

• I do think a lot of it depends on where you live, and how much time you have to shop around...

So for me and other half...my overall shopping bill (including cleaning products, laundry products and some toiletries)is between £60-£70 a week. However my OH is a meat lover so we do eat it often and I do get some of it from my expensive butchers. I think if i had a farm shop near here that did deals as good as some of the ones you guys have it would be less than £50!

This is similar what I spend each week for me and OH for food, toiletries etc (and I grow a lot of my own fruit and veg too).

It also depends on what you call 'healthy'. I only ever buy wholemeal pasta, brown rice, wholemeal couscous and these are always much more expensive than the alternative white products and they are usually not on offer either.
  • floss2
    floss2 Posts: 8,030 Forumite
    CH27 wrote: »
    I'm in the North West.

So am I but my nearest farm shop is 17 miles away....
  • Butterfly_Brain
    Butterfly_Brain Posts: 8,862 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! Post of the Month
    edited 13 July 2011 at 9:18PM
    m33r4 wrote: »
    My local one sells brown rice (which takes long to cook so more gas is used) costs £6 for 5 kg.

Basmati rice = £8-£10 for 5kg.

2 litre oil (lasts me 2-3 weeks depending on how often I fry) = nearly £4 .

I only ever buy brown rice, wholemeal pasta etc and I use spelt flour, wholemeal flour an bulgar wheat and I cook on quite a tight budget.
    The main thing to look at is portion control.
    http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=portion+control&hl=en&rls=com.microsoft:en-gb:IE-SearchBox&rlz=1I7GGIH&prmd=ivnsl&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=zvwdTsbbOIjJhAfE1fDmBw&ved=0CDYQsAQ&biw=1024&bih=546

Brown Rice is easy too cook you just need about 4/5 cups of water to one cup of rice first rinse the rice well under a running tap then boil for 20 mins, drain well, put it back in the pan with a tight fitting lid (off the heat )for 10 mins and you have lovely fluffy brown rice
    Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones that let in the light
    C.R.A.P R.O.L.L.Z. Member #35 Butterfly Brain + OH - Foraging Fixers
    Not Buying it 2015!
  • lizzywig
    lizzywig Posts: 289 Forumite
    I budget for £125 for 2 people per fortnight, I do one large shop (online so I'm not tempted by yummy looking things) and normally spend £80 of that £125. The leftover money goes into savings but I dip into it for things like milk, bread and more fruit after wk 1 of the two weeks.

I have a spreadsheet (yes I'm sad) for each day of the two weeks and week 1 and week 2 usually look pretty similar. E.g. spag bol on each monday or Jacket, beans & cheese each tuesday. That way you spend the same amount of money for two meals as you would for one. I buy 500g of mince for two batches of spag bol, I cook it in one go on the first day and use loads of carrots, celery, mushrooms etc to bulk it out and freezer half for the next week.

I also have a spreadsheet with about 60 or so meals on, they're listed down the left, along the top are headings saying things like "weekday dinners", "batch cooking", "friday dinners" and all of them are cost effective. The corresponding boxes have Y or N in them and I have applied filters along the top so that if I want to cook something yummy on a saturday night but have run out of ideas I can easy see what I can afford. It didn't take me long to put together and has saved me oodles of money - still building the list as I think of more things too.
    Don't Throw Food Away Challenge January 2012 - £0.17 / £10
    Grocery Challenge 16th Jan - 19th Feb 2012 - £254.72/£200 (Ooops very bad start)
    Grocery Challenge 20th Feb - 8th March 2012 - £0/£200
  • patchwork_cat
    patchwork_cat Posts: 5,874 Forumite
    quintwins wrote: »
    our local butcher does 3 large chickens for £5

Where do you live?
  • foxgloves
    foxgloves Posts: 11,069 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    There are 2 of us, but a chicken would go something like this:
    Roast it on Sunday. I would have about 100g breast meat (dieting), partner would have a leg (with lots of veg & at the moment homegrown new potatoes)
    Monday: I remove all the rest of the meat from the carcass, chuck the bones in the slow cooker with the usual additions to make a stock. The rest of the meat is usually divided up into 3 containers.
    Container 1, which has the most in it: Used on Monday night to make a chicken curry or chicken with mushrooms in white sauce both of which would be served with brown basmati rice. The curry has veg in it too, to make good portions.
    Container 2: Smaller amount of chicken in this one, so I generally do something that can be bulked out with other ingredients such as a stir-fry. Usually add onions or spring onions, a sliced carrot, green pepper, garlic, then either a sachet of ready-made sauce or make my own sweet & sour sauce. Served with noodles.
    Container 3: All the littlest pieces of chicken are collected in this one. This usually makes 2 packed lunches for husband. I use half of it to fill a w/meal pitta along with a load of salad & a good dash of hot peri-peri sauce. The next day, I mix the other half with a bit of mustard & mayo or some chopped spring onion & mayo and that does the next day's packed lunch as a sandwich filling.
    The stock is used if anything I'm making on the Mon & Tues requires chicken stock or if I am making a soup that week (which I do a lot in the colder months and if not, it is frozen until needed.
    portions don't have to be small becasue there isn't a huge amount of meat in it. My husband has a huge appetite and believe me, if left to his own devices, could easily polish off the best part of a roast chicken in a sitting, so I make sure I carve it and serve good but sensible portions. I find telling him that if he has a load of extra chicken on his plate on Sunday, then he won't be getting a curry on Monday and that does the trick! As there are only two of us, I can sometimes get a portion of whatever I've made with the leftover for the freezer as well.
    "For each of our actions there are only consequences" (James Lovelock)"For in the true nature of things......every green tree is far more glorious than if it were made of gold & silver" (Martin Luther King Jnr)
  • I either buy a whole chicken cook it whole and strip it, using the bones for soup/stock. Or I buy As** sp frozern chicken portions which are £1.39 for a 1kg bag. I only ever buy chicken breasts if they are reduced or on a very good offer. I find the drumsticks and thighs much tastier when used in a caserole or curry.

We both have good appertites and we would used some of the whole bird to feed 2 adults and 2 children 13 and 9 who also both have healthy appertites, then day 2 we would make a chicken pasta bake with the remainder, and use the carcas to make a soup for lunch for a few days. Normally adding the carcas to a batch of caserole veg and herbs and lentils into the slow cooker. Removing the bones when it is cooked, and then removing some of the stock and veg to whizz up in the blender and stiring back in to thicken to soup. Often we will have this on an evening, adding some boiled potatoes or a chunk of bread.
    Keeper of 2 children, 2 dogs, 2 cats & thankful that you can only have 1 husband at a time.
  • quintwins
    quintwins Posts: 5,179 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Where do you live?

Northern.ireland
    DEC GC £463.67/£450
    EF- £110/COLOR]/£1000
  • After reading this through all of this thread again.... I don't think we could eat as cheap as some people on here because we simply wouldn't cope with those portions! There are only two of us, but some of the portion sizes mentionned for 3/4 people wouldn't even touch the sides.

Maybe we over eat? But we only eat homemade food, everything I do is from scratch and we don't snack realyy between meals excpet fruit and perhaps cereal. Neitherr of us are overweight though (I'm 5' 7 and 8 stone 11 and OH is 5'8 and is 10 and a half stone) and and have maintained the same weight for over five years of eating as we do, so it seems our portions are working for us...they just cost more than £50 a week lol
    :cool:"More people would learn from their mistakes if they weren't so busy denying them." - Harold J. Smith:cool:
  • rozmister
    rozmister Posts: 675 Forumite
    lizzywig wrote: »
    I budget for £125 for 2 people per fortnight, I do one large shop (online so I'm not tempted by yummy looking things) and normally spend £80 of that £125. The leftover money goes into savings but I dip into it for things like milk, bread and more fruit after wk 1 of the two weeks.

I have a spreadsheet (yes I'm sad) for each day of the two weeks and week 1 and week 2 usually look pretty similar. E.g. spag bol on each monday or Jacket, beans & cheese each tuesday. That way you spend the same amount of money for two meals as you would for one. I buy 500g of mince for two batches of spag bol, I cook it in one go on the first day and use loads of carrots, celery, mushrooms etc to bulk it out and freezer half for the next week.

I also have a spreadsheet with about 60 or so meals on, they're listed down the left, along the top are headings saying things like "weekday dinners", "batch cooking", "friday dinners" and all of them are cost effective. The corresponding boxes have Y or N in them and I have applied filters along the top so that if I want to cook something yummy on a saturday night but have run out of ideas I can easy see what I can afford. It didn't take me long to put together and has saved me oodles of money - still building the list as I think of more things too.

Please teach me your Excel Budgeting Spreadsheet ways - I keep meaning to make one but I'm not good enough with Excel!!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.9K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure