We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

My Aquaponic Growing Unit !!

Options
Micro
Micro Posts: 464 Forumite
A couple of months ago I saw an article in the US about this new up and coming form of home grown foods called Aquaponic. It uses a system where fish and plants are grown in together and where nutrients created by the fish feed the plants and the plants filter the water for the fish. The theory that both plants and fish grow rapidly together.
So... I bought myself a system and off I went...
I have to say that its an amazing system. I have today eaten my first salad and it tasted fantastic ! I cant stop telling people about it. No watering, feeding, weeding, fast growing salads and fish and it can all be done in your back yard.
Has anyone else got any similar experences ?
I owe many thanks to free-easy-money.com !:beer:

Comments

• oldtractor
    oldtractor Posts: 2,262 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    I have heard of them but I expect anything involving living creatures isnt as easy as it sounds.
  • Micro
    Options
    I must admit that my experience has been that is pretty simple. In fact all I do it feed the fish every couple of days and eat the food !
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    What kind of fish are you growing?

I know these systems aren't a load of carp, but so far all the info I've seen has been a tad 'sub-tropical.' My polytunnel hit -12c last winter and I'm wondering if British winters might be a limiting factor.
  • Micro
    Options
    Davesnave wrote: »
    What kind of fish are you growing?

I know these systems aren't a load of carp, but so far all the info I've seen has been a tad 'sub-tropical.' My polytunnel hit -12c last winter and I'm wondering if British winters might be a limiting factor.

I grow carp that have come on leaps and bounds - no polly tunnel. I started it in Jan - after the really cold spell but still in the middle of the winter and I had no problem. I started growing my salad in Feb (under some plastic - just to protect them a little) and have now had my 4th crop. I'm one of those people who dont rave on about much but my aquaponic system is something that I have become a bit fanatical about !! I think before long people will realise how productive and easy to run these things can be. If you need any advice I'll happily provide
  • a1cat
    a1cat Posts: 1,355 Forumite
    Options
    How much did you pay for the kit in the first place and what are the ongoing monthly costs? :D
  • Jojo_the_Tightfisted
    Options
    What about some photos then?

What type of carp? Crucian? Leather? Grass? Mirror?
    I could dream to wide extremes, I could do or die: I could yawn and be withdrawn and watch the world go by.
    colinw wrote: »
    Yup you are officially Rock n Roll :D
  • a1cat
    a1cat Posts: 1,355 Forumite
    Options
    I'm sure it pays for itself - lettuces are worth loads :D

And carp doesn't taste like mud :rotfl:
  • forgotmyname
    forgotmyname Posts: 32,572 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Grow watercress in my koi pond for ages. No blanked weed or algae. But when you tell people
    its been grown in the pond full of fishy poo they soon turn their noses up at it. lol.

All those roots etc are a perfect spot for little nasties to hide. Makes it hard to treat the pond also.
    Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

• Micro
    Options
    a1cat wrote: »
    How much did you pay for the kit in the first place and what are the ongoing monthly costs? :D

It cost me £500 but to be honest I didnt buy it to save money just because a liked the idea. Re the money side, well I grow koy Carp in there and could probably sell the 15 I have in there for about £20 each at the moment. Monthly costs are 31p - 1p per day plus 2p worth of fish food (although I cut this down a bit by feeding them with me veg scraps from the kitchen).
  • Micro
    edited 7 July 2011 at 11:26PM
    Options
    a1cat wrote: »
    And carp doesn't taste like mud :rotfl:

Our Polish friends around here consider Carp a stunning dish (they have Carp as a traditional dish) and want me to source it on a permanent basis ! Not got the time to get into commercial growing... well not yet !
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport