Samsung TV - Manufacturer repair the only option?

Options
Hi

I've read through several “TV fault” threads on this forum but haven't found all the answers I'm looking for. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I bought a Samsung TV from Currys 32 days ago. It has now developed three or four 'dead' pixels that create a noticeable black spot, especially when watching programmes with lighter backgrounds. I know it seems trivial but personally I don't think this is acceptable for a new and expensive TV.

I therefore contacted Currys to request that the set is either exchanged or repaired. I've tried calling them twice (wanted to check I was being fobbed off the first time) and on both occasions they were adamant that they would not exchange and that I must contact Samsung directly to have it repaired. The most they would do was give me Samsung's contact telephone number.

This seems to contravene the guidance on this website that the onus is on the retailer to deal with faults. By pointing me towards Samsung, is that all they have to do to be seen as 'dealing with the fault'?

Currys states that it will always refund or exchange faulty goods within 21 days of purchase. I assume this is their way of establishing when a customer has 'accepted' the product. Obviously i'm outside this limitation, which is annoying! Is this stated policy cast iron or is there room to argue that it takes longer to 'accept' a complex bit of kit like a TV? Basically have I any grounds to push for an exchange rather than an inconvenient self-arrange repair, or are things entirely black and white?

Thanks in advance for any responses.

Comments

• *confused*
    *confused* Posts: 351 Forumite
    Options
    I had a similar experience with Dixons with a faulty Samsung (not dead pixels, it randomly started turning itself off at about 6 months old) - they tried telling me that Samsung had to sort it out. Samsung told me it was Dixon's responsibility. After going around in circles for a while I spoke to trading standards who told me what to say etc. Unfortunately I can't remember the exact information but it was to do with the Sale of Goods Act and about goods needing to be fit for purpose etc. It worked anyhow, mine was repaired and I even had a loan set while it was away :)

Hope you get it sorted.
  • wealdroam
    wealdroam Posts: 19,181 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    OP, I think you have gone past the time when you could've rejected the television.

You are now at the stage where a fault has appeared after acceptance.

During the first six months following purchase, the fault can be assumed to have been present at the time of sale, and it is for the retailer to prove otherwise.

No, the retailer cannot simply state "here is the manufacturer's phone number" and absolve themselves from further responsibility.

You can go back to Comet and force them to provide a remedy under Sale of Goods Act. Where that remedy can be either a repair, refund or replacement.

However, you may get a better response by talking to the manufacturer... who knows.
  • neilmcl
    neilmcl Posts: 19,460 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    However, dead pixels are not necessarily considered a fault particularly if they are within manufacturer tolerances. OP, it may be worthwhile, and perhaps easier in the long run, to get the manufacturer involved under the terms of the manufacturer's warranty.
  • deanos
    deanos Posts: 11,223 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Uniform Washer
    Options
    wealdroam wrote: »
    You can go back to Comet and force them to provide a remedy under Sale of Goods Act. Where that remedy can be either a repair, refund or replacement.

Would be a bit embarrassing seeing as the OP bought it from Currys :D
  • wealdroam
    wealdroam Posts: 19,181 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    deanos wrote: »
    wealdroam wrote: »
    Would be a bit embarrassing seeing as the OP bought it from Currys :D
    Oops... sorry about that. :o

OP, probably best not to go to Comet. ;)
  • CoolHotCold
    CoolHotCold Posts: 2,158 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Fozarino wrote: »
    Hi

Currys states that it will always refund or exchange faulty goods within 21 days of purchase. I assume this is their way of establishing when a customer has 'accepted' the product. Obviously i'm outside this limitation, which is annoying! Is this stated policy cast iron or is there room to argue that it takes longer to 'accept' a complex bit of kit like a TV? Basically have I any grounds to push for an exchange rather than an inconvenient self-arrange repair, or are things entirely black and white?

Thanks in advance for any responses.

It could also be argued in the opposite direction (also btw Dixons Retail (PcWorld or Currys) will allow you to refund or exchange within 21 days, and a unpublished rule internally to exchange within 28 days), but yes, it can be argued that due to the complexity a electrical product will either work or not.
  • Esqui
    Esqui Posts: 3,414 Forumite
    edited 3 July 2011 at 7:35PM
    Options
    You can ask the store to arrange for you, but it's a lot easier to do it at home - Samsung will go through some troubleshooting steps with you that could fix the problem over the phone, and you'll need to have access to details like the serial number (so that they can order the right part for the TV).

Also, on the acceptance thing, it's my understanding that the spirit of the law is to allow you to check that the product initially works as intended, and does what you expect. So for a TV, it'd be almost immediate: as soon as you turn it on, you can check it shows pictures and makes sounds. For a camera, it may be a day or so, allowing you to take photos and see the results. For a pair of skis bought in the summer, you could feasibly reject several months later, as you wouldn't have had opportunity to check them out.
    Squirrel!
    If I tell you who I work for, I'm not allowed to help you. If I don't say, then I can help you with questions and fixing products. Regardless, there's still no secret EU law.
    Now 20% cooler
  • cherie1122
    cherie1122 Posts: 490 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    We bought a Samsung TV from Currys and it developed a fault when it was 6 days old. (a puff of smoke and a nasty smell in the room and then it wouldn't work any more)

We returned it to the shop to be told that we had to contact Samsung but we wouldn't be fobbed off by the salesman and asked to see the manager. They weren't too happy but after a while they did exchange the TV.

I just kept politely pointing out that it wasn't fit for the purpose and I felt it should have lasted for longer than 6 days before it broke down. I asked for a refund or replacement. This was a few years ago when flat screen TVs were new on the market - the TV cost us £1200.
  • Esqui
    Esqui Posts: 3,414 Forumite
    Options
    Well then, they suck. They should have called Knowhow to log the fault and get an exchange number.

Mind you, that was quite a while ago, most things sucked back then :D
    Squirrel!
    If I tell you who I work for, I'm not allowed to help you. If I don't say, then I can help you with questions and fixing products. Regardless, there's still no secret EU law.
    Now 20% cooler
  • paddedjohn
    paddedjohn Posts: 7,512 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    Although your contract is with Currys i echo the people above who recommend going direct to Samsung, personal experience tells me they will sort you out with the least hassle.
    Be Alert..........Britain needs lerts.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.6K Travel & Transport