McAfee On-Line Banking Suite

Options
*Scarlett
*Scarlett Posts: 1,760 Forumite
Hi all

My current security subscription - Norton 360 is due to expire next month.

I have an offer on my MBNA credit card for free McAfee On-Line Banking Suite for 12 months (and 1/2 price for the following 12 months).

Is this package comparable to the Norton one I am currently using and suitable for everday internet usage? My concern is that it is just for banking.

Also I would be signing up for 24 months with McAfee with the 2nd years cost unknown - they say that it's currently £29.99 for 2nd year.

I know a lot of advice would be to compile my own security from other options but I'm not at all techie and don't really have the confidence to do this, so have been using the Norton package for quite a few years.

Any advice much appreciated.

Comments

• dixiebb
    dixiebb Posts: 666 Forumite
    Options
    Personally I would not touch McAfee with a bargepole; of the two, the latest version of Norton would be better. An excellent free one would be Avast :cool:
    A new abacus :D:A.

red robin ribbed :kisses2:.
    Someone please contact the Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Cans!
  • poppy10_2
    poppy10_2 Posts: 6,575 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Don't go anywhere near McAfee, it's worse than having a virus on your computer - slows it down so much, and deliberately made very difficult to uninstall.

Either stick with Norton or (preferably) use Avast or Microsoft Security Essentials, it's not that complicated.
    poppy10
  • john1
    john1 Posts: 406 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I use Microsoft Security Essentials which is a free download from Microsoft

http://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/security_essentials/default.aspx

gets good reviews also
  • macman
    macman Posts: 53,098 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    If your online bank is Barclays, you can get Kaspersky Internet Security (3 PC licence) for free.
    I also would not go near McAfee, seen far too many PC's infected that used it naively as 'protection'.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
  • *Scarlett
    Options
    Sorry I haven't been back to the thread for a few days but many thanks for all the replies.

I think I have been throughly warned off McAfee and I'm so glad I came here for advice before going ahead with it.

Such a pity - I used to work with a Mr McAfee (nothing to do with computer security) and he was such a nice, principled gentleman that I have an illogical high opinion of that name. Ridiculous, I know!

The Windows Security Essentials looks easy to install but says I should uninstall any current antivirus software (I guess this is the same for all) so should I wait until the current Norton subscription runs out if I want to go with this one? Will Norton disappear automatically if I don't renew or does it still need to be uninstalled?

Sorry to be such a complete thicko about this!

Again many thanks to everyone - I really appreciate all the replies and advice.
  • RussJK
    RussJK Posts: 2,359 Forumite
    edited 5 July 2011 at 7:21PM
    Options
    I'd wait until Norton finishes, because as I said it's a decent antivirus. Norton used to have a deservedly bad rep, but they've since turned it into one of the best (by poaching a more competent team from another company I'm told).

When Norton runs out I'm sure it'll tell you - then just uninstall it and use the removal tool:
    http://us.norton.com/support/kb/web_view.jsp?wv_type=public_web&docurl=20080710133834EN&ln=en_US

In reality, everyone who comes here for help with an infection is running one of the major antivirus programs: Avira, Avast, MSE, Norton, AVG, etc, so while important to have an antivirus, it's unfortunately no longer the complete answer no matter how expensive the suite.

That's the only reason I mentioned Malwarebytes in the first place - IMO the best value for money you can spend on Windows security. No need to buy an antivirus since the free are just as effective or better than the paid.
  • *Scarlett
    Options
    Thanks RussJK.

I've never had any problems with Norton but they want £64.99 to renew the subscription and if I could get someting similar without having to pay for it (or pay as much) it would be great.

And you're right - they are telling me every few days the date that the subscription runs out.

Pennies are tight these days but I obviously don't want to compromise on the security of my computer.

Thanks for that link.
  • cajef
    cajef Posts: 6,266 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Plenty places offering Norton subscription a lot cheaper than £64.99 if you want to stay with it.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=norton&x=19&y=19
  • ChiefGrasscutter
    ChiefGrasscutter Posts: 2,112 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    cajef wrote: »
    Plenty places offering Norton subscription a lot cheaper than £64.99 if you want to stay with it.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=norton&x=19&y=19

Yup,
    That's how I do it.
    Keep my installation of Norton NIS.
    Buy another disk/licence key from amazon for 3 computers.
    Ignore the disk
    at the renew time ask theNIS program to renew and then it offers up a window for a new licence key as one option.
    I enter up new licence key from the amazon pack.
    Then it authenticates...job done.
    The only thing to note is that you need to do this on the last day of the current subscription. If you renew with a new licence key prior to the old one expiring it does not automatically credit you with the "days left" from the old key. You then have to contact Norton to get them to do this manually from their end.
  • *Scarlett
    Options
    Thanks cajef.

But, hell's teeth! You've made me look at Norton again - it's certainly a more attractive price.

My head is now officially melted with internet security options! :eek:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport