advice please

Options
today i went to a cash and carry, who at this stage shall remain name less. I bought a few things, including a pair of shoes, at the check out i saw the cashier check the shoes in the box, scan them and pass to me, i paid for all items and left the shop.

However when i get home, i discover that the cashier had not taken the security tag off the shoe,,,,,,,,i phoned the company who informed me they would call me back within the hour, 2 1/2 later i called them spoke to some delighful lady ? who asked "what do you want me to do about it, bring them back" i explained that i have a young baby, it is a good 50 minutes drive each way and that it would no be possible today as i am working and i can't make tomorrow as i have a hosp app that has taken 8 months to come through (yay go NHS) the delighful lady then said "nuffing we can do about it, bring em back" and hung up on me.
Now if one things makes me really cross is when some one hangs up on me, so i call head office where i get an even more delightful older lady , who asks what do you want me to do about it - take em back !! i got a bit sarcastic with her and she then took offence, and promply hung up on me AGAIN.
i then call there customer service dept, and spoke to a very helpful guy, who thought it quite funny that they tag had been left on, until i informed him i did not find it at all amusing, and said he would call the store and he would call me back in 30 mins - 1 hour later im still waiting so i call him again - he assured me that he called the raleigh branch and they they assured him they would call me - im still waiting for my telephone call and customer service is now shut.
the problem is i need these shoes for saturday and if i take them back can i claim my petrol expenses from them, its a 2 hour round trip and it is their error to start with.

any constructive advice would be appreciated.

Comments

• gordikin
    gordikin Posts: 4,422 Forumite
    Options
    Chill...comes to mind immediately?
  • gordikin
    gordikin Posts: 4,422 Forumite
    Options
    Remove the Security tag yourself?
  • Tokalosh
    Tokalosh Posts: 305 Forumite
    Options
    i did say constructive advice - chilling is not constructive and does not help my situation.

And yes i have tried to remove the device myself, unfortunatly i do not have any bolt cutters on me, have never needed to use them for some strange reason !
  • arcon5
    arcon5 Posts: 14,099 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Fair enough you can't make today or tomorrow -- but will you be in the area any other day?

Or maybe take them to a shop near you, explain what has happened and see if they will do it for you...
  • Tokalosh
    Tokalosh Posts: 305 Forumite
    Options
    Hi Arcon5, need them for Saturday, or i would not be so bothered by the whole situation. And i only go there every couple of months, by the time i go again summer (what's that) will be over and i will not need these shoes/mules then.
  • Sambucus_Nigra
    Sambucus_Nigra Posts: 8,669 Forumite
    Options
    Whereabouts do you live? Surely another shop similar nearby will remove them for you if you explain...someone did that to me once and I set off every alarm as I went in, I explained to the third shop what had happened [it took me a while to work it out] and they removed it for me.
    If you haven't got it - please don't flaunt it. TIA.
  • McKneff
    McKneff Posts: 38,825 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Do all shops use the same sort of de tagging, perhaps if you took them into a major store nearby and explained then they would do it for you.
    And I think 'chilled' was pretty good advice really, youre getting yourself worked up (stress leads to stomach acid which harms you to a degree) to a frenzy and i think it was advised in good faith and with the best possible intentions.
    make the most of it, we are only here for the weekend.
    and we will never, ever return.
  • pendulum
    pendulum Posts: 2,302 Forumite
    Options
    Reminds me of a job interview I had! I went out the night before and bought new clothes including a new pair of black trousers, as my only other pair had a broken zip. Next morning at 7am, I went to put the trousers on and discovered the security tag still attached to the back of them :eek: If I went like that they'd think I nicked them!

I seriously had nothing else to wear. I knew what the dress code was and jeans weren't allowed so I was panicking. I got 2 pairs of pliers and introduced them to the security tag... I got it off in the end but it took me about 15- 20 minutes, they're tough little things.

I didn't have time to Google a better method but I bet there is one. I think I'd take the tag off myself or take the items back, you don't really have many other options.
  • OlliesDad
    OlliesDad Posts: 1,825 Forumite
    Options
    What sort of shoes are they?

Are they available locally? If so, buy them locally and next time you are at the cash and carry take them back for a refund.

The petrol money issue wouldn't be relevant to you surely as you don't have time to take them back anyway.
  • pleasedelete
    pleasedelete Posts: 2,286 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    If I havevto return a faulty item I request petrol at 45p a milevand any parking costs. Tesco, next, sainsburys have all paid without question.

I got a DVD from tesco. Got home and it wasn't in the box! They sent a new one with a lad in a taxi. 25 miles each way plus a complimentary bag of sweets for children (it was a Childs DVD bought as a treat for babysitter night in that night)
    June challenge £100 a day £3161.63 plus £350 vouchers plus £108.37 food/shopping saving

July challenge £50 a day. £ 1682.50/1550

October challenge £100 a day. £385/£3100
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family