have I missed the point of wide screen tv??

sons got a 32" huge widescreen tv and myself and the old fart sat watching it , hes looking sideways at me and im looking sideways at him and were making the appropriate noises

when we got in the car I said to him " was it me or where the people on the telly all squashed down and looking fatter or have lady tennis players suddenly got huge thighs??

but he  agreed

so come on  what is this wide screen thing  what are the advantages ?? looked the same picture to me only   errrm  wider and shorter

??? ??? ???

Replies

• trutru Forumite
    9.1K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    You can see more of the picture. On the TV remote, you can change the picture from widescreen to 'normal' to scrunched (well that's what I call it!). I don't really notice when I watch something all the way through on the same size picture, it's only if I change it that I notice a difference.
    It's much better for films though.
    Bulletproof
  • cathy_3cathy_3 Forumite
    1.5K Posts
    ✭✭✭
    well son showed us all that but we couldnt see a diff at all in what we could see on the screen

(we sound like two dinasours dont we)

but they all looked squashed down to us. and surely what you gain in the width you lose in the height??

I dont know im just asking sorry to sound thick

:(
  • trutru Forumite
    9.1K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    It looked squashed to us at first too. I wonder if TV programmes are filmed 'not so wide' as films, so the picture is distorted when you watch it in widesdreen. Films are meant to be wide for the cinema screen.

I'm sure some male or other will be here to defend and explain, after all it's usually men who try to convince us that we really need this type of thing, LOL ;D
    Bulletproof
  • jaz_2jaz_2 Forumite
    139 Posts
    > I'm sure some male or other will be here to defend and explain, after all it's usually men who try to convince us that we really need this type of thing, LOL

Possibly, but not this one :)

I've still got an old 14" portable TV in the living room - if the content justified anything better I'd replace it, sadly IMO it doesn't.
  • trutru Forumite
    9.1K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Our 21" TV died on us, that's why we bought ours. If it was still working, I'd have been happy to keep it. Hubby wanted a 32", I wanted 24", we compromised and bought 28". It seems massive compared to the old one.
    Bulletproof
  • Tony_H_3Tony_H_3 Forumite
    2.6K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Your right Cathy, widescreen's produce squashed images for regular 4:3 broadcasts, videos, dvd's etc.... The widescreen comes into it's element only when viewing a broadcast produced using "Widescreen" format equipment!!! :-/ But the good news is that more & more productions are being done in widescreen format, this includes regular tv programs... Yippee!! ;D
  • cathy_3cathy_3 Forumite
    1.5K Posts
    ✭✭✭
    ahhh well that makes sense

like on the telly when theres a widescreen film and you get a black bar top and bottom

ahhhh

the scales fall from my eyes

still like the high one tho
  • > I'm sure some male or other will be here to defend and explain, after all it's usually men who try to convince us that we really need this type of thing, LOL

Football.... nuff said
  • trutru Forumite
    9.1K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Football.... nuff said
    Football....blah.
    Bulletproof
  • its only really worth it if you have digital tv and a dvd player

if you watch a widescreen programme/film (most of digital tv is now widescreen) on a normal TV you see the full height of the picture but lose the left and right edges - on a widescreen you still see the full height AND the edges. it's best for dvds though which are almost all widescreen - on a normal TV you either lose the left and right edges or have to watch with bl;ack bars.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides