atos phone call regarding wca medical

hello, I had a missed call today, I googled the number and it was ATOS,but they left no message. I thought they would write to me regarding an appointment for the WCA medical. I suffer from anxiety and depression, and never answer the phone to unknown callers. Does anybody know if I will get a letter about an appointment, or is it all done over the telephone? I also requested a home visit, am I likely to get one?

Replies

• wellyneverwellynever Forumite
    908 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts
    ✭✭✭
    Seems to be a phone call,

You will then need to get your doctor to fax ATOS for a home visit, I to also suffer from Anxiety Agoraphobia and Panic Attacks so having to go through all of this I got the phone call a few weeks ago they gave me the fax number that I needed for the doctor, Hope this helps.
  • trish67trish67 Forumite
    44 Posts
    Tenth Anniversary 10 Posts Combo Breaker
    Thanks, my heart is pounding at the thought of having to speak to them, it might seem ridiculous to some people, but it really is making me feel sick. I have a doctors appontment later today, and although I have a good relationship with my gp, i still feel terrible everytime I have to go and see her,find it hard to talk at times, and always end up in tears. I hate all of this. It is so difficult.
    908 Posts
    ✭✭✭
    trish67 wrote: »
    Thanks, my heart is pounding at the thought of having to speak to them, it might seem ridiculous to some people, but it really is making me feel sick. I have a doctors appontment later today, and although I have a good relationship with my gp, i still feel terrible everytime I have to go and see her,find it hard to talk at times, and always end up in tears. I hate all of this. It is so difficult.

I know the feeling, I find it really hard to use the phone you don't actually speak to them as such you confirm who you are i put my phone onto speaker and left it on the desk and let them run through it all just saying yes no to the odd thing then asking for home visit where they gave me the fax number to give the doctor,

My partner had to take the fax no and a letter off me to my doctor asking for home visit, The problem is because of the panic Attacks i don't do home visits of strangers so let the fun begin.
  • UncertainUncertain Forumite
    3.9K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    There is no legal obligation to answer your telephone if you don't want to are are unable to do so.

The will not leave a message due to confidentiality rules.

After a few attempts they will simply send an appointment through the post.

If you are not able to attend and are unable to phone to re-arrange you can email their (so called) customer service department who will, if you explain the circumstances, get it changed. Do make sure you offer a valid and true reason.

You can normally only re-arrange once, without exceptional circumstances, or you will be treated as not co-operating.
  • rogerblackrogerblack Forumite
    9.4K Posts
    trish67 wrote: »
    hello, I had a missed call today, I googled the number and it was ATOS,but they left no message. I thought they would write to me regarding an appointment for the WCA medical. I suffer from anxiety and depression, and never answer the phone to unknown callers. Does anybody know if I will get a letter about an appointment, or is it all done over the telephone? I also requested a home visit, am I likely to get one?

As I understand it, it's also possible it may be them trying to contact you about details of your condition, so they can avoid the medical.
  • MorglinMorglin Forumite
    15.9K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    They are supposed to phone first now, to advise that the forms are on the way.

The DWP (DM) also phone the claimant to discuss the decision, when it's made, and to see if the claimant will be appealing (this is the point where they sometimes then change the decision lately, probably to prevent yet another appeal going the full distance lol)

Obviously, if the phone isn't answered, they will put things in writing anyway.

Lin :)
    You can tell a lot about a woman by her hands..........for instance, if they are placed around your throat, she's probably slightly upset. ;)
  • Always ask ATOS who is the HCP that's going to give you the medical. Ask for their name, what they are, e.g. a doctor, a nurse etc ask for their professional body and registration number. Keep these details in case you need to appeal since if the appeal goes in your favour you can report the HCP to their professional body, e.g. the GMC, and they may take action against them for acting against the patients best interest. Currently around six doctors may be struck off because of this and there are cases of ATOS using non registered HCP's (Health Care Professionals) to conduct medicals, which is illegal.
  • dave030445dave030445 Forumite
    997 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    I had this when you ask for a home visit the Dr then phones you to see why you need a home visit and to see if they can help you in anyway to get to there center.IE taxis
  • I know how you feel. I can't get out of bed, I feel so ill and can't talk to people.

A friend of mine is the same, she has major depression and anxiety.
    She refused to go to her medical and got a home visit. She knows her rights and is lucky that she had the confidence to insist on them coming to her.
    They have to, if you are too ill to leave the house.

And you can have someone with you at home, to explain how bad you are.
    908 Posts
    ✭✭✭
    Had my home visit the doctor could see how much i was in a panic, Well we only seem to hear bad things so here is a good one,

As the doctor could see how bad i was doctor said that they need to ask a few things but will be out of here within 10 mins,

Asked a few questions didn't examine me at all and even added things i don't really suffer from to make sure i passed, Well it's down to the DM and won't know for a few weeks yet,

So now because of what the doctor wrote i'm now a agoraphobia zombie who cannot do anything at all and i do mean anything :eek:

Doctor was in and out in less than 10 mins i asked what i need to do now doctor just said wait but hinted i would pass no problem.
This discussion has been closed.
LATEST NEWS AND DEALS