Praise: Public sector strikes

I'd like to say a big thank you to all the public sector workers striking today!

For the first time in years my journey has taken less than 30 minutes to work, and I managed to grab myself a coffee and something to eat.

Keep at it guys!
Per Mare Per Terram

Comments

• Plus as they are striking they are not getting paid saving the country a fortune.

Keep up the strikes and us in the private sector can enjoy more seats on trains.
    Iva started Dec 2018.
  • Taiko
    Taiko Posts: 2,711 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    I still came into work today in local government, still got a job to do that I enjoy doing.

A fair few staff short, but the picket line which I can see consists only of two people. I think the rest are treating as a jolly.
  • hoyles10
    hoyles10 Posts: 1,283 Forumite
    Taiko wrote: »
    I still came into work today in local government, still got a job to do that I enjoy doing.

A fair few staff short, but the picket line which I can see consists only of two people. I think the rest are treating as a jolly.

If this morning is anything to go by most of them will be on a golf course somewhere.

I passed a couple of school picket lines today which re-assured me that the countries cord trouser and tweed jacket makers are clearly still doing a roaring trade :D
    If At First You Don't Succeed, Call It Version 1.0 :D
  • Taiko
    Taiko Posts: 2,711 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    A relative of mine works as a teaching assistant. They're not in a union that was striking, however all the teachers were, and all opted to take strike action.

School had to be closed, as was just the head left. Teachers then apparently said to the head "We'll do cleaning on the strike day" and got annoyed when the head reminded them they wouldn't be allowed on the premises that day.
  • paddedjohn
    paddedjohn Posts: 7,512 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    local primary school by me had only 4 teachers on strike but the head closed the school anyway
    Be Alert..........Britain needs lerts.
  • flexrider
    flexrider Posts: 745 Forumite
    Ah the days of strikes are full of bliss again-Reminds me of my teenage days as a postman :):) for 2 reasons

1)every so many months the unions would vote for a strike and the majority would follow like cattle
    2) Fun days going into work over the picket line in the back of a royal mail truck undetected and better overtime rates also :) yes i was a scab but a scab who's monthly pay was boosted from working more hours when everyone else was skint from returning from work after striking

I miss me teenage days :) such fun
    "MSE Money saving challenges..8/12/13 3,500 saved so far :j" p.s if i been helpfully please leave me a thank you but seek official advice at all times from a pro
  • Dave101t
    Dave101t Posts: 4,157 Forumite
    ah yes, the 'honourable' teachers. only fighting for what they deserve...a life of luxury in retirement that no one else can hope to enjoy.
    i cant help but wonder however....how they can justify this to the children when they do back.
    'Todays lesson kids: if you get enough, but still want more, just complain and whine and strike until you are heard...thats the public sector way!'
    Target Savings by end 2009: 20,000
    current savings: 20,500 (target hit yippee!)
    Debts: 8000 (student loan so doesnt count)

new target savings by Feb 2010: 30,000
  • worldwheeler
    worldwheeler Posts: 238 Forumite
    edited 1 July 2011 at 5:00PM
    Dave101t wrote: »
    ah yes, the 'honourable' teachers. only fighting for what they deserve...a life of luxury in retirement that no one else can hope to enjoy.
    "a life of luxury" .... Mayfair is just rampant with teachers, nurses and civil servants living it up in their pent house pads bought with their yearly six figure+ bonuses which also fund the deliveries from Fortnum & Mason and Harrods!!!
    Just look what the cuts are used for, so more tax money can be transferred to pay the banking sector. Either you are a government/ptb shill or you are a narrow mind focused by the TV and unable of free critical thinking.
    Dave101t wrote: »
    i cant help but wonder however....how they can justify this to the children when they do back.
    'Todays lesson kids: if you get enough, but still want more, just complain and whine and strike until you are heard...thats the public sector way!'
    The pensions robbery is a Manic Street Preachers moment, "if you tolerate this your children will be next" and yes it is a good lesson to teach children. Stand up to your owner, fight to be free.
    OR maybe "Today's lesson kids: how to be a good serf, be grateful for whatever your master gives you for your labour and don't complain as remember, someone else, who your master has put in the gutter, will gladly step up and work longer, harder, and in worse conditions for less than you get" It's called THE RACE TO THE BOTTOM and if this is what humanity aspires to then come on that extinction asteroid.
    Maybe teachers, no, all workers should be in THE RACE TO THE BOTTOM with ALL labour in the world. So are you ready for $2 a day, that's about £1.25, guess you won't be able to go to corporate starbucks on that or buy advertising banners to wear as clothing at Nicke Town?
    main stream media is a propaganda machine for the establishment.
  • Outpost
    Outpost Posts: 1,720 Forumite
    The pensions robbery is a Manic Street Preachers moment, "if you tolerate this your children will be next" and yes it is a good lesson to teach children. Stand up to your owner, fight to be free.
    Eugh I hate the Manic Street Preachers.

I agreed with your blithering rant until you mentioned them, then you lost me...
    :cool:
  • Storck
    Storck Posts: 1,890 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Just look what the cuts are used for, so more tax money can be transferred to pay the banking sector. Either you are a government/ptb shill or you are a narrow mind focused by the TV and unable of free critical thinking.

When the banking shares are sold at a huge profit will you still be complaining then?

Think of it more as an investment with a guaranteed return rather than spending money. Which ever party are in government when the shares are sold will have plenty of cash to spend.
    If you find you are drinking too much give this number a call. 0845 769 7555
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure