VM - New contract on moving home - 7 days to cancel? + Start a new contract same day?

Options
I've just been on the phone to VM about my imminent house move. They informed me of the new 12 month contract on the new house when it suddenly occured to me... new contract... so surely I have 7 days to cancel it? I asked the lady and she said this was correct.

Soooo, I was thinking of taking virgin up on their current offer... £150 cashback and £100 credit on the bill for an 18 month contract. It works out that for
Tv - M+
Phone - M
Internet - XXL

Currently: £47 p/m New account: £28 p/m

Next question... do you think I could apply online today and schedule installation for the day after my 'new contract' installation. So basically have my 'new contract' installed, cancel it when the guy leaves and then the next day (or even that afternoon) have my proper cheaper new contract installed...

I'm gonna phone retentions anyways, but wondered what peoples thoughts were?

Comments

• spike7451
    spike7451 Posts: 6,944 Forumite
    Options
    No,because if you cancel for whatever reason,you have to wait 12 months before you can sign up again.It's to stop people doing what you are wanting to do.You would also be left without phone service as if you cancel,the old line would be deactivated & the new line re-provisioned as the existing line would show up as 'in use'.You may also loose your existing phone number.
  • curiosity101
    curiosity101 Posts: 113 Forumite
    Options
    Ah right, thanks very much for that. The phone number changing really wouldn't be a problem... but obviously with everything else I'll have to rethink my plan.

Thing that I didn't make clear was that I was going to get my partner to sign up in his name instead... So in essence as far as virgin know it's a new customer at a new address.
  • jb66
    jb66 Posts: 1,705 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Why can't you cancel and re sign up at your new address
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts