»

Pay Yourself a Christmas Bonus!

New Post Advanced Search

Coronavirus: Stay up to date with the latest from MSE

The MSE team is working extremely hard to keep the info we have about your travel rights, cancellation rights, sick pay (and more) up to date.
Stay updated with our guides: Coronavirus Help & Your Rights * Coronavirus Travel Rights
NEWSFLASH 27/03
MARTINS VIDEO FOR SELF-EMPLOYED * DELAY HOUSE MOVES * EUROSTAR UPDATE

Pay Yourself a Christmas Bonus!

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Debt-Free Wannabe
51 replies 12.9K views
hummingbirdhummingbird Forumite
1.5K posts
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Debt-Free Wannabe
Hi everyone,

Would anyone like to join me and Pay yourself a Christmas Bonus this December?!!:j

This started when I joined the £365 in 365 days challenge a couple of weeks ago. I decided to put £2.50 a day away for something special.

I realised that although some companies pay a Christmas bonus a lot don't........including mine! So i thought I'd pay myself one instead. I intend to pay the proceeds into my current account on my December payday....whoop whoop!

You decide on the size of the Christmas Bonus you'd like, and then work out how much you would like to put aside on a regular basis -daily, weekly, monthly whatever you like, to achieve it. it's also up to you whether you want to "Pay Yourself" on Ist Dec, your December Payday, or Ist Jan for the sales........:beer:
Perhaps you'd like to use it for a holiday:cool:

I'm going to use it to boost the funds in my c/a because we get paid early in December, then have a long wait til the end of Jan.

Let's avoid getting into more debt over Christmas and have some fun!!

Add your targets and totals to your signatures:money:

Hummingbird x
£10 a day extra in May '18[B]£35/310[
Virtual Sealed Pot 2018 £500/£2500 = 20%
You can find my diary here:http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5189836:beer:

Replies

• ShAnEShAnE Forumite
    276 posts
    For those wanting to know there are 182 more days til Christmas or 26 weeks.
    I'll be back later, as this sounds like a great idea too me.
    Current Debt: 0%.
    Current House Deposit: 7%.
  • svb53svb53 Forumite
    214 posts
    Me please! I need some motivation and this should do nicely. I'll aim for £10 per week for now but might be able to up it a bit nearer the time. Great idea, off to update my signature now.
    LBM 27/12/14.
    January Ebay and Amazon aim: £500. £22/£500 January weight loss aim 10lb. 0/10.
    1 debt vs 100 days challenge £22/£500 by 7th April.
    Nsd January aim 20. PAD starting 29/12/14 £2
  • This sounds like a good idea...

How much to pay myself though, that is the question! :p

I think I'll aim for £250 - which is about £1.30 a day!

Are you saving it in cash in the house or online?

Thanks hummingbird! :)
    VSP - £14.76 | Saving for a Deposit
  • hummingbirdhummingbird Forumite
    1.5K posts
    I've got mine in a tin at the moment but think I'll transfer it into a savings a/c as the amount gets bigger - for safekeeping!

You can save it where you like - or directly off a debt if that suits you better! :money:
    You can find my diary here:http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5189836:beer:
  • TebheagTebheag Forumite
    382 posts
    Hi humminbird mind if i join please this sounds great I am self employed so dont even get holidays never mind a bonus. will update my sig when decided what I am going to go for.
    £10 a day challange Feb 27/435 Jan 530/465

2012 to pay off CC
    After snowballing should be debt free by Mar 2016
    2011 Target to be overdraft free this year and get debt down!
  • laura2481laura2481 Forumite
    4.3K posts
    I'd like to join please- aiming for £364 which is the equivelent of £2 per day, which I will use for christmas presents :)
  • edited 25 June 2011 at 3:12PM
    EmzillaEmzilla Forumite
    3.5K posts
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 25 June 2011 at 3:12PM
    Great idea Hummingbird. I really need to save some for Christmas presents so would love to join please. I'm going to aim for £300 and anything left over can be mine to spend on me!! :D

Emz xx

ETA - already off the mark with £3 from my change jar.
  • What an absolutely AWESOME idea!

I'm in :D - going to save £7.50 a week into my ING savings account - gods know what for, yet! No time like the present I suppose :T

Happy saving one and all!
    Shuffling down the path to financial freedom, trying not to get too distracted by shiny things!

CC:
    [STRIKE]£256 [/STRIKE] £219.70
    OD: £1000
  • hummingbirdhummingbird Forumite
    1.5K posts
    Welcome to everyone who has joined the thread :wave: We are going to have a great Christmas this year, and our December payday will be a day to celebrate:beer:

Congratulations Laura on your wedding:heart2:
  • edited 26 June 2011 at 10:37PM
    karen_is_tryingkaren_is_trying Forumite
    143 posts
    edited 26 June 2011 at 10:37PM
    OOOOOOOO can i join this one please it will be lush to have a splurge guilty free in the sales xx

Think im going to aim for a pound a day on this one i dont know how many days til dec 16th but il aim for then ...
    1414-sealed pot challenge :j157-virtual sealed pot challenge:) £10.23..
    £175.73/£280 october grocery challenge:eek: 3/15 NSD October ;)
This discussion has been closed.

Quick links

Essential Money | Who & Where are you? | Work & Benefits | Household and travel | Shopping & Freebies | About MSE | The MoneySavers Arms | Covid-19 & Coronavirus Support