We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

Cheap Netting?

Options
mardatha
mardatha Posts: 15,612 Forumite
Where is best (cheapest) for netting to keep birds out ? I have no Wilkinsons here, so dont upset me by telling me how cheap they are :D

Comments

• rosie383
    rosie383 Posts: 4,981 Forumite
    Options
    Don't make the mistake I did, of getting it from Poundland. Some of their stuff is good, but the netting is unbelievably rubbish!!
    Father Ted: Now concentrate this time, Dougal. These
    (he points to some plastic cows on the table) are very small; those (pointing at some cows out of the window) are far away...
    :D:D:D
  • DaftyDuck
    DaftyDuck Posts: 4,609 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Odd, rosie383... I must be less fussy. Maybe more of a skinflint...

I've got several of the Poundland/99p stores netting (seems to be the same stuff; comes in a box, 6metres X 4 metres), and haven't had any problems with it.... And.... it's EVEN CHEAPER than Wilkinsons! :D:D
  • splodger_seedswapper
    Options
    try and get some debris netting from a scaffold company - when they take down a job ;)
    saving money by growing my own - much of which gets drunk
    made loads last year :beer:
  • matt987106
    matt987106 Posts: 390 Forumite
    Options
    try and get some debris netting from a scaffold company - when they take down a job ;)

or go on ebay and buy some NEW scaffold netting

the only downside to used netting is it has anything stuck in it, a customer of mine purchased some from some scaffolders, it had bits of soffit board stuck to it, now this soffit board was asbestos :(
  • mardatha
    Options
    Ok, not near a poundshop and not near any scaffolding. LOL ! I will try ebay. Ta x
  • Patchwork_Quilt
    Options
    What do you want it for? Some of the peeps have been using fleece to keep birds off and they think it's better. I intend to try net curtains - seriously. I'm fed up of plants getting stuck in the netting and inadvertently tearing off leaves. Plus, when you take it off at the end of the season it's impossible to roll up to use again so you just end up buying some more.

Anyone got any other suggestions?
  • mardatha
    Options
    Its to keep the bloody sparrows out of my hen run - there's hundreds of them and they bringing their families for free dinner lol
  • cootambear
    cootambear Posts: 1,474 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    mardatha wrote: »
    Its to keep the bloody sparrows out of my hen run - there's hundreds of them and they bringing their families for free dinner lol

hi mad arthur :)
    Freedom is the freedom to say that 2+2 = 4 (George Orwell, 1984).

(I desire) ‘a great production that will supply all, and more than all the people can consume’,

(Sylvia Pankhurst).
  • mardatha
    Options
    Got a lot madder since I got chickens, believe me :D
  • rosie383
    rosie383 Posts: 4,981 Forumite
    Options
    I love the idea of using net curtains. Especially for a hen run.........practical AND pretty!!!
    Father Ted: Now concentrate this time, Dougal. These
    (he points to some plastic cows on the table) are very small; those (pointing at some cows out of the window) are far away...
    :D:D:D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport