We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Compensation for an awful holiday

Options
We went to the Canary Islands at Easter to stay in a Villa we found on Owners Direct. On arrival we found a villa which was absolutely filthy, had not been cleaned and which had junk all over the place, it looked like someone else was staying there and had just popped out.
We contacted the owners brother as the phone number he'd given us was his work desk line which went straight to voicemail. They promised to get the owner to contact us to sort out the issues so that we could get on with our holiday.
When there was no contact we took matters into our own hands and found alternative accomodation, also via Owners Direct. The 2nd villa was lovely and we ended up having a very nice time.
At no point did the owner of villa number one contact us.
On return to the UK we tried to call Villa number one's owner - who eventually emailed us back, to say that he won't refund our money.
To date he hasn't even sent our deposit back. I have many photo's showing the state the villa was in on our arrival.

Do we have any right to get the money back for the rental of the villa?

Comments

• isplumm
    isplumm Posts: 2,205 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    OliKipper wrote: »
    We went to the Canary Islands at Easter to stay in a Villa we found on Owners Direct. On arrival we found a villa which was absolutely filthy, had not been cleaned and which had junk all over the place, it looked like someone else was staying there and had just popped out.
    We contacted the owners brother as the phone number he'd given us was his work desk line which went straight to voicemail. They promised to get the owner to contact us to sort out the issues so that we could get on with our holiday.
    When there was no contact we took matters into our own hands and found alternative accomodation, also via Owners Direct. The 2nd villa was lovely and we ended up having a very nice time.
    At no point did the owner of villa number one contact us.
    On return to the UK we tried to call Villa number one's owner - who eventually emailed us back, to say that he won't refund our money.
    To date he hasn't even sent our deposit back. I have many photo's showing the state the villa was in on our arrival.

Do we have any right to get the money back for the rental of the villa?

Hmmm .... lots of questions here -

1. How long did you give the owner to sort issue?
    2. Is he based in UK?
    3. Would he have been able to contact you?
    4. Did you leave message on voicemail ....
    5. How much was villa ....

Suggest that if in Uk, sue ....

Mark
    We’ve had to remove your signature. Please check the Forum Rules if you’re unsure why it’s been removed and, if still unsure, email forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
  • lvm
    lvm Posts: 1,544 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Did you pay by CC? Not sure if same rules apply but could you try reclaiming through them?
  • pinkshoes
    pinkshoes Posts: 20,142 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I'd write to the owner of the villa with a "letter before action" highlighting the problem, enclosing copies of the photos, showing a list of times and methods that you used to contact them, and giving them 14 days to give you a full refund, otherwise you will have no option but to take them to court.

As holidays are so short, then 24 hours would be a reasonable amount of time to give them to sort out the problem. It's not exactly the easiest thing to try and find alternative accommodation, so you did the right thing.
    Should've = Should HAVE (not 'of')
    Would've = Would HAVE (not 'of')

No, I am not perfect, but yes I do judge people on their use of basic English language. If you didn't know the above, then learn it! (If English is your second language, then you are forgiven!)
  • Equaliser123
    Equaliser123 Posts: 3,404 Forumite
    Options
    I think in this case you would entitled to the cost of the place back together with any additional costs which you incurred as a result (e.g. call charges, extra costs in respect of accomodation and compensation for disappointment).
  • OliKipper
    Options
    We gave the owner 24 hours before moving out of the villa after attempting to contact them via phone and email. Yes I left a message on voicemail and his brother was also to ask him to contact us.

We heard nothing from him the entire time we were away, and it took a week for him to reply to my complaint email on my return. We've been back for 6 weeks now and we haven't even had the deposit back!

I've asked for him to negotiate a settlement - we had to pay by bank transfer directly to the Canary Islands as that's where his mother has a bank account.

He is based in the UK - I've now given him 48 hours to get back to me or I will take him to small claims court. It was such a dissapointment and I was completely, stupidly caught out by booking via Owners Direct and not taking out their insurance :(
  • Flyboy152
    Flyboy152 Posts: 17,118 Forumite
    Options
    I know this may sound like a silly question, but why didn't you just clean up and charge him for your time?
    The greater danger, for most of us, lies not in setting our aim too high and falling short; but in setting our aim too low and achieving our mark
  • Equaliser123
    Equaliser123 Posts: 3,404 Forumite
    Options
    Flyboy152 wrote: »
    I know this may sound like a silly question, but why didn't you just clean up and charge him for your time?

a) why should you clean up a place which you are entitled to expect to find clean.

b) Particularly on holiday.

c) How much would you charge your time at?
  • visidigi
    visidigi Posts: 6,451 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options

c) How much would you charge your time at?

me personally, the entire bloomin cost of the holiday. personally villa holidays are the sort of price where there is no excuse for this, and its made worse when its a captive audience scenario like this one where the OP has had to fork out for alternatives.

Its not like a hotel room where you can just swap...but it does underline the importance of going for locally managed and represented villa sales groups
  • halibut2209
    halibut2209 Posts: 4,249 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    d) that would be an unenforcable invoice
    One important thing to remember is that when you get to the end of this sentence, you'll realise it's just my sig.
  • Flyboy152
    Flyboy152 Posts: 17,118 Forumite
    Options
    visidigi wrote: »
    me personally, the entire bloomin cost of the holiday. personally villa holidays are the sort of price where there is no excuse for this, and its made worse when its a captive audience scenario like this one where the OP has had to fork out for alternatives.

Its not like a hotel room where you can just swap...but it does underline the importance of going for locally managed and represented villa sales groups

Which would put you in a much stronger position when you get home. Rather than taking the arbitrary decision to spend someone else's money. ;)
    The greater danger, for most of us, lies not in setting our aim too high and falling short; but in setting our aim too low and achieving our mark
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport