Help! I'm being chased for a debt...

Options

Comments

• Welshdebtor
    Welshdebtor Posts: 628 Forumite
    Options
    Officially post is sent to an address not an individual. In this case it is the OP's address, one that he has informed them is incorrect, yet they continue to sent more. This is deemed as harassment. They as a debt collector (whether 3 or a DCA) are licensed by the OFT for Debt Collection and are now breaking their guidelines.

They are contacting the OP - It is his address.
    They are pursuing a 3rd party - he is not the debtor.
    They are harassing him - continually sending mail when informed they have the incorrect address.
    By continually sending the OP the letters, they are disclosing someone elses debt to him. This is yet another guideline broken.

Some people need to remember what a template is, you take the template and amend it to your own circumstances.

As I have pointed out this is not the only avenue open to the OP, they could just bin them. But as stated they are fed up of receiving them and redirecting them back. So out of all the options available to the OP, they only other one they have is to get them to stop sending the letters. They have ignored the info given already by the OP that they are not the person involved. So the only viable option now is to warn them they will be reported unless they stop.

Telling the OP they should just continue sending them back, is not the best option in this case as detailed in their post. This has been done so far and is getting annoying.

I am not saying "Do my idea, because it is the best". I am just making the OP aware it is an option available.

1. They could send a letter.
    2. Ignore them and divert to the closest bin.
    3. Keep sending them back even though it is annoying.

We as fellow MSE members can only give the OP all options we believe are available.The OP then picks the best for them out of all options.I am simply highlighting that out of the 3 available options above the OP has already tried some and is finding it annoying. So suggesting the OP continues to "return to sender" or bin them, as they have said they are getting annoyed with this, shows a total lack of reading their first post.

So OP out of the 3 options above you choose the best for you. I do not think anyone here has suggested any other, if so then also consider that.
    Here to learn and pass on my experiences.
    Had a total of £8200 of debt written off due to harassment during 2010 and 2012.
  • vax2002
    vax2002 Posts: 7,187 Forumite
    Options
    Just put them in the bin.
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
  • fluffnutter
    fluffnutter Posts: 23,179 Forumite
    Options
    Some people need to remember what a template is, you take the template and amend it to your own circumstances.

I think that people like to be pointed in the direction of templates primarily because they're not confident about the 'rules' or their own eloquence and ability to construct an argument. Consequently I think they're highly likely to use the vanilla template and not amend it at all. Which, for this OP, wouldn't fit the situation very well.
    "Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell" - Edward Abbey.
  • Welshdebtor
    Options
    I think that people like to be pointed in the direction of templates primarily because they're not confident about the 'rules' or their own eloquence and ability to construct an argument. Consequently I think they're highly likely to use the vanilla template and not amend it at all. Which, for this OP, wouldn't fit the situation very well.

But now they have been made aware that it can be amended to their circumstances :D

I get your point though. Maybe I should add a caption to amend as fit when posting templates.

OP - You say you have sent many back, which is annoying you. And "kept" 2 (guessing you binned these). How often do you get the letters? Could you "keep"/bin them for a while and see if they stop? If not then pursue the harassment route. Or are they coming too frequent now for you to put up with?
    Had a total of £8200 of debt written off due to harassment during 2010 and 2012.
  • arcon5
    arcon5 Posts: 14,099 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Officially post is sent to an address not an individual.

No its not.

Otherwise it wouldn't be illegal to open mail intended for somebody else.

Based on this theory anything that comes through your door now belongs to you.

They are pursuing an individual (well.. company). And they are pursuing them at the wrong address. This doesn't mean they are pursuing op simply because he resides at the address they have on record.

So in theory op shouldn't even know the intended recipient is being chased for money -- since they should not have even opened the mail in the first place :)
  • peachyprice
    peachyprice Posts: 22,346 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    OP - You say you have sent many back, which is annoying you. And "kept" 2 (guessing you binned these). How often do you get the letters? Could you "keep"/bin them for a while and see if they stop? If not then pursue the harassment route. Or are they coming too frequent now for you to put up with?

I really cannot see how picking up an envelope, seeing it's not for you and putting it in the bin could cause anyone distress, no matter how often it happens.

OP you just need to get your head around the fact that these letters are not chasing you for a debt, they are just wrongly addressed post that it's quite acceptable for you to ignore, just as you would the take-away/kebab/block paving flyers that come through the door.
    Accept your past without regret, handle your present with confidence and face your future without fear
  • fluffnutter
    Options
    arcon5 wrote: »

It's not illegal to open somebody else's mail. Just thought I'd clear up that point.
  • fluffnutter
    Options
    I really cannot see how picking up an envelope, seeing it's not for you and putting it in the bin could cause anyone distress, no matter how often it happens.

OP you just need to get your head around the fact that these letters are not chasing you for a debt, they are just wrongly addressed post that it's quite acceptable for you to ignore, just as you would the take-away/kebab/block paving flyers that come through the door.

Well I agree with this. However, I wouldn't feel so confident faced with a couple of insistent and intimidating debt collectors at my door. And for that alone I can understand why the OP wishes to get this sorted once and for all.
  • Welshdebtor
    edited 21 June 2011 at 10:33AM
    Options
    arcon5 wrote: »
    No its not.

Based on this theory anything that comes through your door now belongs to you.

They are pursuing an individual (well.. company). And they are pursuing them at the wrong address. This doesn't mean they are pursuing op simply because he resides at the address they have on record.

So in theory op shouldn't even know the intended recipient is being chased for money -- since they should not have even opened the mail in the first place :)

Wrong :D

Unless you are now accusing the OP of opening illegal mail :D Seeing as they know who it is from and what for suggests they opened it.Going by your account they have broken the law. Thankfully they have not as per The Postal Services Act 2000. Unless the address is not not yours you can open the letter legally. You are only committing an offence if you stop/interfere with it getting to the address on the envelope.
  • worried_jim
    worried_jim Posts: 11,631 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Just put them in the bin and have nothing to do with them, don't call write or contact. They are nothing to do with you and you have nothing to worry about. I occasionally get the odd one turning up here and I have lived here for nine years, I don't open them just put it straight in the bin. There really is nothing to worry about.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure