Public sector wellcome to the real world

Options

Comments

• bigfreddiel
    bigfreddiel Posts: 4,263 Forumite
    Options

Any halfwit could see people were living longer.
    But we're talking about politicians aren't we!
  • ffacoffipawb
    ffacoffipawb Posts: 3,593 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    wearside wrote: »
    At the time of my retirement, I discussed at great length with colleagues and family that it was a good time to accept retirement, as the existing deductions and Final Salary Scheme could not continue and I was leaving at the right time. If it was clear to me that this unsustainable scheme could not continue, why has it taken the Government so long to take their heads out of the sand and take the appropriate action.

Because for 13 of the last 14 years we had a Labour government, and the way they left the economy should answer that question for you.
  • leveller2911
    leveller2911 Posts: 8,061 Forumite
    edited 19 June 2011 at 8:18PM
    Options
    Not all public sector workers think that. Many of us are well aware that they aren't.

I work in the public sector. In a low-paid, part-time position.

I haven't had a pay rise in 3 years. Not getting one this year either.
    No O/T, no bonuses, am expected to work extra hours unpaid as and when needed.

Most of my colleagues aren't in the pension scheme because we can't afford the contributions.

Am I right in thinking that anyone with earnings under £15k a year won't be affected?.

My brother in law is a Paramedic, he is 50 yrs old and I believe he will retire in 5yrs time on a full pension which is wrong . Why can't he carry on working till 67 like I will have to in the Private sector?.He is paid very well, he has had about 2 years off work with football and Judo injuries all on full pay and there are many like him who take all the sick days they are "entitled" to , so the Public sector need to look a little closer to home to see where much of the blame lies.

It makes my blood boil when we hear how certain public sector workers can retire at 55 when on the other hand a Bricklayer,Carpenter,steel worker,farm Labourers etc are expected to retire at 67 when they work outside come rain or shine and are lucky if they get 4 weeks holiday a year whereas your average teacher gets 13 weeks a year for Jollies.Now if they worked 3 of those 13 weeks for training etc it still leaves 10 wks a year for holidays........

I don't dispute that many Public secctor workers are low paid and work long hours but theres an equel number who think they should be "entitled" . When I was 16 and starting my apprenticeship we had a chap come in and tell us all about how we would pay for a National Insurance stamp which would allow us to retire from work at 65 and receive a full state pension.
    Times have changed and so have the promises but it would be nice to see the Politicians to take the lead and cut their own golden,gilt edged pension schemes.....;)
  • roysterer
    roysterer Posts: 127 Forumite
    edited 19 June 2011 at 11:25PM
    Options
    hugheskevi wrote: »
    As you probably know, most public service pensions (aside from Local Govt) are not funded - they are paid from general taxation/borrowing.

Currently about 1.9% of GDP is spent on public service pensions, which is forecast to decline continuously to about 1.4% of GDP in 2050 (assuming current system were to continue unchanged).

Whilst this neither proves nor disproves whether public service pensions are affordable or not at the moment, it does show the cost is falling rather than rising in the future.

[Hence you won't have to pay higher taxes than now, so presumably you support the continuation of pensions in their current fomat :p]

Source: Hutton interim report.

So the mess we are in today is attributed to the amount of excessive borrowing that has taken place by past Governments.
    You have stated that Public Sector Pensions are funded by Taxation and Borrowing.
    So if borrowing is cut, as well as paying off the nations debt.
    That only leaves increased taxation.
    The current Government claims that the Nations finances are far worse than Labour claimed???????????? in 2010 when they came into power.
    So now lets see the Hutton report, is it worth the paper it is written on????
    Was Hutton aware of Nations financial state of 2011 when he made his report.
    I remember a Financial Adviser telling me my endowment will pay off my mortgage and leave me with a £20000 surplus based on the climate at the time of him telling me.
    Perhaps HUTTON got his report completely wrong??????????
    Can HUTTON stand by his report today.
    I am yet to be convinced by you, but I am prepared to listen to your view. Are you convinced his report is still valid????
    I am not.
  • Cliff1805
    Cliff1805 Posts: 47 Forumite
    Options
    The government's tactics of divide and rule is working 100%. Every blog or newspaper article dealing with this topic is followed by comments from private and public sector workers at each others throats. These two groups of workers share more in common than divides them. We are all workers and are being raped by the banks and financial services industry, not just in this country but all over Europe and the wider world. Just stop and think before you tear into each other in an attempt to deny one another a dignified retirement and think about the divide between rich and poor which gets wider and think about who is responsible for what has happened here and what is happening in Greece right now. Your enemy is not your fellow worker. Are they so wrong to expect to receive what they were promised by successive governments including the one headed by Margaret Thatcher? You are letting the rich and their puppet government get away with murder!!!
    31 Jan 2011 [STRIKE]Debts £19,294[/STRIKE]
    15 Jan 2012 Debts £11,893
    Net worth -£9,289
    DFD Jan 2014
    :eek:
  • leveller2911
    leveller2911 Posts: 8,061 Forumite
    Options
    Cliff1805 wrote: »
    The government's tactics of divide and rule is working 100%. Every blog or newspaper article dealing with this topic is followed by comments from private and public sector workers at each others throats. These two groups of workers share more in common than divides them. We are all workers and are being raped by the banks and financial services industry, not just in this country but all over Europe and the wider world. Just stop and think before you tear into each other in an attempt to deny one another a dignified retirement and think about the divide between rich and poor which gets wider and think about who is responsible for what has happened here and what is happening in Greece right now. Your enemy is not your fellow worker. Are they so wrong to expect to receive what they were promised by successive governments including the one headed by Margaret Thatcher? You are letting the rich and their puppet government get away with murder!!!

Politicians have always been the same when it comes to feathering nests.So whats your solution? Its simple to write down where blame lies but not so easy to come up with a solution.
    Its true to say Politicians pro activelly encourage the masses to fight amongst ourselves as you say it divides us but what is the solution?....

FWIW I don't think there is a real solution because its Human Nature to want more. We all want more and if we can get it at the cost to others then we are happy to take it.....
  • roysterer
    roysterer Posts: 127 Forumite
    Options
    wearside wrote: »
    I consider myself one of the extremely fortunate ones to be in receipt of an Index Linked Civil Service Pension. I retired on health grounds about 8/9 years ago and therefore had my pension enhanced by 6 2/3 Years, resulting in being entitled to a pension of 40 (less 3 months)/80 of my final pension. Throughout my career my pension contribution was 1.5% less tax relief.

At the time of my retirement, I discussed at great length with colleagues and family that it was a good time to accept retirement, as the existing deductions and Final Salary Scheme could not continue and I was leaving at the right time. If it was clear to me that this unsustainable scheme could not continue, why has it taken the Government so long to take their heads out of the sand and take the appropriate action.

Wearside
    Good post, I hope you continue to have a long and happy retirement.
    I am glad someone like yourself as come on here and told it as it is.
    I have 33 yrs of Pensionable service behind me so I guess I am far more fortunate than the youngsters starting out today.
    You do not have to be a Rocket Scientest to see that Public Service Pensions can not continue in there current format.
    You saw the writing on the wall 9 years ago, well here we are 9 years later and things are a darn sight worse than when you retired.
    would you ever have thought BANKS being bailed out by the government, Global Financial Meltdown, Middle East going out of control, oil 100 dollars a barrel. The World as gone mad.
    I bet many of the so called financial experts would have predicted at that time that the ftse 100 would be standing at 20000 instead of the current 5700.
  • real1314
    real1314 Posts: 4,432 Forumite
    Options
    roysterer wrote: »
    So now lets see the 2006 Hutton report, is it worth the paper it is written on????
    Was Hutton aware of Nations financial state of 2011 when he made his report in 2006.
    Perhaps HUTTON got his report completely wrong??????????
    Can HUTTON stand by his report today.
    I am yet to be convinced by you, but I am prepared to listen to your view. Are you convinced a 2006 report is still valid????
    I am not.

You'd do a bit better if you got your facts right. Hutton was commissioned to produce his report by the CURRENT government. Unless he had a flux capacitor and a Delorean, he'd have found it tricky to report in 2006, but don't let that influence your opinion.

:cool:
  • real1314
    real1314 Posts: 4,432 Forumite
    Options
    Wearside
    I have 33 yrs of Pensionable service behind me so I guess I am far more fortunate than the youngsters starting out today.

Ok, what % of salary are you expecting?
    What industry are you in?
    What salary do you get?
    What contribution do you pay?
  • wearside_2
    wearside_2 Posts: 1,508 Forumite
    Cashback Cashier
    Options
    Wearside
    Good post, I hope you continue to have a long and happy retirement.
    I am glad someone like yourself as come on here and told it as it is.
    You do not have to be a Rocket Scientest to see that Public Service Pensions can not continue in there current format.
    You saw the writing on the wall 9 years ago, well here we are 9 years later and things are a darn sight worse than when you retired.
    would you ever have thought BANKS being bailed out by the government, Global Financial Meltdown, Middle East going out of control, oil 100 dollars a barrel. The World as gone mad.
    I bet many of the so called financial experts would have predicted at that time that the ftse 100 would be standing at 20000 instead of the current 5700.

Roysterer thanks for your good wishes! I have ammended my original post as I forgot my lump sum which only increases the problem.
    To Dare is To Do:beer:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport