PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Manky Meat-Whats Morrisons Policy?

Options
Hi

We bought some steak on Friday for £4. It has used by tomorrows date (18th) on it. Anyway, today OH got it out the fridge and has turned a green colour:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: ...we were going to have for dinner tomorow night. OH opened it and the steak smelt really bad!

I cant find the reciept anywhere but it has the Morissons sticker and label etc on it. Will they still give me a replacement and or refund:confused: What is their policy regarding this kind of thing?

I know its only £4 but its the principle.

Thanks
PP
xx
To repeat what others have said, requires education, to challenge it,
requires brains!
FEB GC/DIESEL £200/4 WEEKS

Comments

• whistler-alison
    Options
    yes - they should give you a refund. It wasn't of a good merchantable quality and the sticker on the packet will show that you bought it there.

I bought a manky chicken at Morrisons once. I only used to go once a week and of course I didn't want to make a special journey just to go and get a new chicken so I phoned them up to explain the problem and to let them know that I will come and ask for a refund - I figured that if I did then it wouldn't look like I was making it up. The woman expected me to keep the rotten chicken in the fridge for a week! Anyway, I refused because it would have been a health hazard. Anyway, had a row on the phone with the woman about it, but when I went to the shop they gave me a refund no problems.
  • milkydrink
    milkydrink Posts: 2,407 Forumite
    Options
    I pretty sure they will (they bl**dy should).

I've done that once in Sainsbury, didn't have the meat or reciept, but just thought I would tell them that their 21 days hung taste the difference wasn't worth the extra money, they refunded me!!!! I wasn't expecting that at all, just wanted them to know. It wasn't off, just had a lot of grisel & for the money that stuff costs, I though it should be top quality.

Kim
  • davsidipp
    davsidipp Posts: 11,514 Forumite
    Options
    i think you will find with morrisons meat it has very short sell by dates on so you have to freeze it or use within the date, i dont know what their policy is but they should give money back plus extra for inconvience but i dont think their policy is very good much like their meat.
    Before you point fingers,make sure your hands are clean !;)
  • mookybargirl
    Options
    I bought a garlic dip once from Morrisons for OH and me in the cinema with some tortilla chips. It was lumpy so didn't eat any after the first few dips. After the film, I realised it was a huge big green lump of mould and it had about 10 days left on the date (I was so sick at the thought of eating this). Took it back to Morrisons with the packaging and receipt. Was offered a replacement (was almost sick again!) so got my money back (exact cost) - they didn't seem bothered about it. Never bought one since....
    Love MSE, Las Vegas and chocolate!
  • jcr16
    jcr16 Posts: 4,185 Forumite
    Options
    shame they don't follow sainsburys then. i took some ham back to their as i bought it and didn't realise until i got home it had gone out of date the previous day. so i went back to the store and they handed me a 20 pound gift voucher and said they were very sorry.
  • lynzpower
    lynzpower Posts: 25,311 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    regardless of what morrisons say, you need to let environmental health at your local council know
    :beer: Well aint funny how its the little things in life that mean the most? Not where you live, the car you drive or the price tag on your clothes.
    Theres no dollar sign on piece of mind
    This Ive come to know...
    So if you agree have a drink with me, raise your glasses for a toast :beer:
  • rose_sparky
    Options
    I've never had a problem with Morrisons giving refunds. The problem seems to be getting an apology though. That would be nice under the circumstances.
  • EssexGirl
    Options
    Last week i went to use the stir fry veggies that i had bought the day before and they had 2 days left on the use by date, and they were off.
    Also had a roll from their instore bakery with blue plastic in it. No apologies from staff, just a refund.
    Only going to use Morrisons for it's car park now I'm afraid.

Manky meat seems to be the "norm" from any supermarket these days. I always freeze it staright away if not using that day or the day after.
    Luckily I've found a brilliant butcher. Now just need a decent fishmonger....
  • p.bowler
    Options
    Bought a twin pack of chicken from Morrisons on Saturday 15th,it had a use by date of the 21st,cooked it on sunday the 16th.When part way through carving the second it was found to be green in the middle (Sunday dinner up the swanny). Phoned Morrisons on Monday,they did not seem concerned in the slightest,offered a refund but no appology.I was so annoyed i phoned the local councils food & hygene department,they did not seem at all interested in the matter.After reading several forums this does not seem to be an unusual occurance, although if a similar matter was reported to the local authority & the offending seller was a small shop the authoritys would be persuing it vigirously.
    Have we now got to the point where local councils are reluctant to confront the large super markets?
  • valk_scot
    valk_scot Posts: 5,290 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    One suggestion if you don't want to store rotting meat untill you next go to the store...take pictures, with date stamp active in the camera or on top of a dated newspaper. Or you could do what I did with a rather whiffy piece of pork once...phone them to log your complaint, double bag it and keep it in the coolest place outside you can find, then invite them to open it at the CS desk.
    Val.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport