We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Where to sell old magazines?

Options
I have tonnes of old NME magazines (from 2000 to present) that I don't want anymore, they're in immaculate condition. Also I have every issue of Elle and Empire from the past 4 years.

Is there anywhere online that I can sell them?

I occasionally list them on ebay and will maybe sell a few, but its very time consuming when often they won't sell.

Comments

• Tallullah
    Tallullah Posts: 39 Forumite
    Options
    You won't have much luck on ebay, unless the item is really rare or collectable, and even then it's hit and miss.

I have a huge collection of Empire magazines, going right back to the start and I have tried to sell a few of them on ebay, with very little success. I have also tried commercial sellers - websites who sell old or back copies of magazines, to see if they would buy in bulk, but no luck there either. I am thinking about trying gumtree or somewhere like that, but I have the feeling my best bet is to sort through and keep about 20% of the collection that is likely to be collectable and take the rest of it for recycling.
  • Johnnyy_Boy
    Johnnyy_Boy Posts: 111 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I would doubt those magazines are old enough to have any sort of value.

I have sold a number of "old"magazines from the 60's of Practical Householder but didn't get much of a price.

However I did have a couple of old Mayfair mags from 70's and they fetched about 15.00 each :o
  • mobile48
    mobile48 Posts: 745 Forumite
    edited 17 June 2011 at 1:53PM
    Options
    See this thread post #7 may work for you also (but a lot of work so price to take this into account).

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=2975240
  • jacko91
    jacko91 Posts: 67 Forumite
    Options
    Have you tried Gumtree? I found it to be alot less hastle.
    Cross trainer fund- £21.
  • antoniarose_2
    Options
    Thanks for your replies everyone. I got lucky selling all the ones from 1970 - 2000 at fairs and that sort of thing, but these are just clogging up space!

I have hundreds of old Melody Makers too
  • missbishi
    missbishi Posts: 229 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I would separate the ones with cover stars who have some kind of longevity and store them away until you come across a serious collector, also, and I know this is a horrible thing to say, but they'll probably go up in value/demand should the cover star pass away.
  • Crowqueen
    Crowqueen Posts: 5,726 Forumite
    edited 17 June 2011 at 9:12PM
    Options
    When I lived in Poland there was a huge warehouse in the city in which I lived selling all kinds of different magazines and periodicals - a lot from the communist era, many from what was a fascinating historical period to live through. I always like going straight to the source rather than reading "history" books. It was a treasure trove of stuff people presumably just threw away, but a lot of the stuff I bought there was 30-40 years old, not from last week. Moral of the story? I suspect you might have to hang onto them for another ten or twenty years before they become worth selling, like the ones you have managed to sell already.

Take heart - if the capitalist system collapses between now and then, they will be important clues to the way we used to live. Or try keeping them a hundred years - I bought a big annual of an 1880s Christian periodical recently while researching a novel, as a primary source regarding attitudes towards the welfare of the poor (there are surprisingly few secondary sources detailing what life was actually like in a workhouse, for instance). Cost me a tenner and is about the size of a modern encyclopaedia, but is an invaluable historical document...only because someone had the foresight not just to throw it out.

Or, with the rise of the internet, many of the nerdy magazines I read have gone mainly online. So magazines themselves might be antiquarian curiosities before too long!

Good luck and I hope you find a buyer or space to hoard them.
    "Well, it's election year, Bill, we'd rather people didn't exercise common sense..." - Jed Bartlet, The West Wing, season 4

Am now Crowqueen, MRes (Law) - on to the PhD!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport