HSBC - Nasty thing they just sent me. (secure key)

Options

Comments

• sam.4000
    sam.4000 Posts: 1,396 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    easy wrote: »
    I have the same problem, as per my thread here http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?p=48558563&posted=1#post48558563

They claim to have sent it to me, but unless the postman is eating them ...??

I have interrogated my postman and he has promised me he has not eaten my secure card thing so I am afraid it has to be HSBC.:mad:
  • lilrahi
    lilrahi Posts: 1,483 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    DH has one for his sole account but because he's terminally slow on the keyboard I have to log him in because he can't type the numbers in fast enough.

I have a card reader for my Co-op account but only need to use it for setting up new transfers and bills.
    You'll have to speak up; I'm wearing a towel
  • Gromitt
    Gromitt Posts: 5,063 Forumite
    Options
    I set 2 new payments today on co-op, neither of which asked me to use my card reader!

I probably won't be setting up any more, as I just transfer in £800 and then transfer it out into my regular savings accounts. I've tried out co-op banking and doesn't really like it, so once I've got the £200, I'll probably be closing it.
  • Fingerbobs
    Fingerbobs Posts: 1,641 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Gromitt wrote: »
    as you can't exactly insert your debit card into your PC

Some laptops have a smartcard slot, and some genius has developed a piece of code that emulates the Barclays PINsentry device, so you can use your debit or authentication card in the PC's card reader.

My work-supplied laptop has a card slot, so it avoids the need to take the pesky PINsentry device to work with me.

Unfortunately the code currently only works on Linux, but it proves the principle and I suspect a Windows version will follow.
  • Gromitt
    Gromitt Posts: 5,063 Forumite
    Options
    More than likely I would say, but of course by using such applications you are leaving yourself open to fraud. If you can run an application to perform operations on your debit card then so can a virus or malware.

So therefore I'll keep to using the seperate device which I know no software running on my PC can communicate with in any fashion.
  • Bloomberg
    Options
    henlans wrote: »
    This new secure key!!!

Check it out

Now takes 5 minutes to login to it.. longer if you lose the bloody thing.

anyone else hate it?

Five minutes to log on? Do me a favour. I cannot believe how many people have been !!!!!ing about the secure key. In these days of record levels of cyber crime such a device is a god send. Admittedly it is an extra object to carry around if you maybe work away from home but I would rather that than have my account security compromised.

Today I visited my branch as I lost my old secure key, whilst there I got chatting to one of the staff members. I asked her if there had ever been a case of a customer's account being hacked since the advent of the secure key. According to her there has NOT been a single case. :T

Surely this is what all on line banking customers have been waiting for, so why all the !!!!!ing?
    Money is a wise mans religion
  • Bloomberg
    Options
    Gromitt wrote: »
    Really? Just a PIN? No card needed?

If thats the case then yes, a Secure key is an unnecessary overcomplication.

Otherwise,
    ATM needs Card+PIN
    OLB needs Key+PIN (as you can't exactly insert your debit card into your PC)

Not much difference!

Great comments
    Money is a wise mans religion
  • le_loup
    le_loup Posts: 4,047 Forumite
    Options
    whysocry wrote: »
    Takes less than a minute to login.
    Ah, but what you don't realise is that all the moaners need that minute to pick their noses.
  • briansparks
    Options
    I opened a new account with HSBC & registered immediately for on-line banking (essential as a frequent traveller). I was told nothing about this gadget. My negative comments to customer services assured me that they take customer comments very seriously, but on this occasion (my words) tough - get on with it. I usually have to try 3 times to log on. Making a payment to someone else is a nightmare. There is a long procedure involving entering 4 numbers from the receiving account. I failed 4 times & called customer services. A very helpful chap talked me through the procedure, said I had been doing everything properly, then guided me through 2 more attempts, both of which failed. He said a lot of customers are having the same problem. He made the transfer for me manually. All in it took me over 1hr to make a payment to my wife's account. HSBC insist that the device is convenient (not), easy to use (not) & takes up no more space in my wallet than a credit card (rubbish). HSBC doesn't care what we think about it. I will have to face the inconvenience of re-arranging several direct debits & payments in & out to change bank again. When I have time, bye bye HSBC. :mad:
  • alanq
    alanq Posts: 4,216 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 8 December 2011 at 3:15PM
    Options
    I was told nothing about this gadget.

When you go shopping do you expect the shop keeper explain to you every detail about your purchase or do you do your own research before you buy? If you cannot find the information do you ask questions about things that are important to you before buying? HSBC has hardly made a secret that they are issuing these things. There is information and a prominent picture on its website. There has even been a TV campaign running for months bragging about them.
    http://www.hsbc.co.uk/1/2/personal

Whether they are a good idea, well constructed and have been wisely implemented are different issues.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure