HSBC - Nasty thing they just sent me. (secure key)

Options

Comments

• sam.4000
    sam.4000 Posts: 1,396 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I still don't have a HSBC secure key and can't access my accounts on line.
    I never received one so went on their internet help and requested one. Never got it.
    So I phoned them up and requested one. This one I did receive but it only contained the packaging no secure key.
    Phoned them again to explain it would actually be good if they actually sent me a secure key rather than just the packaging. This was last week so I am hoping that this week I might actually get one.
  • hutch610
    hutch610 Posts: 105 Forumite
    Options
    Kids have one each and cant tell difference between them. Have used wrong one before now. Dont know how older people get on if their fingers and thumbs are not good, find have to press and hold on button for quite few seconds cant just press and its on. Dread battery running out what do we do then. Also if not quick enough with number turns off and sometimes think pressed number only to find theres 3 bars then have to wait for it to turn off and start again. Yes can be a pain to use and remember to take with you but like the security of having different number for log in.
    My own bank is first direct, no secure key or nothing and they belong to HSBC.
    :female:
  • jjlandlord
    jjlandlord Posts: 5,099 Forumite
    Options
    Do people complaining also have problems with having to use keys to open their front door?
    Because, let's face it, with those bloody keys it takes time to open the door and you can't get in at all if you loose them.
    hutch610 wrote: »
    Kids have one each and cant tell difference between them

That's an IQ test: How long does it take before one of them has a breakthrough and put a sticker on his security key to identify it?
  • marvin
    marvin Posts: 2,185 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Doshwaster wrote: »
    I have a "secure key" for Nationwide but it's optional

Not if you ever want to do something other than look at your balance it isn't.

I can go to a cash machine and get £300 with just a pin

I can't transfer a penny without this useless pile of crap

Makes internet banking almost pointless as I have to have several of these calculators dotted around everywhere just so I can transact my own business.
    I started with nothing and I am proud to say I still have most of it left.
  • JimmyTheWig
    JimmyTheWig Posts: 12,199 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    I find it hard to disagree with this sort of technology in order to make a payment (especially a new payment) but I can't see the point in needing it just to check a balance.
  • bankersmug
    Options
    Vote with your feet. Any bank that introduces card readers to me will be dispensed with forthwith.
  • mbugle
    mbugle Posts: 27 Forumite
    Options
    I think its a great idea. The last thing I want is someone getting into my accounts, just because I didn't want to take the extra minute to get into my account.

-Michael
    Trying to contribute to the money saving community
  • worried_jim
    worried_jim Posts: 11,631 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I look after my elderly disabled neighbour and he banks with Natwest and the troubles this system have given him have lead to sleepless nights for him. His son lives in the Canaries and needed some funds urgently- could we get this s0dding thing to work, could we bugg3r. His son nearly spent a night under the winter starts in a foreign country. Turns out his debit card needed to reset and could only be done in an ATM, he's housebound so that was impossible for him. I bank online with Lloydstsb and sat in amazement of how complicated this was compared to my bank. I log in with a number and letters from a password- simple. I transfer money to a new person for the first time and I get an automatic phonecall at either home or mobile where I have to key in a four digit number that is displayed on the computer screen. Simple and effective.
  • easy
    easy Posts: 2,516 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    sam.4000 wrote: »
    I still don't have a HSBC secure key and can't access my accounts on line.
    I never received one so went on their internet help and requested one. Never got it.
    So I phoned them up and requested one. This one I did receive but it only contained the packaging no secure key.
    Phoned them again to explain it would actually be good if they actually sent me a secure key rather than just the packaging. This was last week so I am hoping that this week I might actually get one.

I have the same problem, as per my thread here http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?p=48558563&posted=1#post48558563

They claim to have sent it to me, but unless the postman is eating them ...??
    I try not to get too stressed out on the forum. I won't argue, i'll just leave a thread if you don't like what I say. :)
  • Gromitt
    Gromitt Posts: 5,063 Forumite
    Options
    marvin wrote: »
    I can go to a cash machine and get £300 with just a pin

Really? Just a PIN? No card needed?

If thats the case then yes, a Secure key is an unnecessary overcomplication.

Otherwise,
    ATM needs Card+PIN
    OLB needs Key+PIN (as you can't exactly insert your debit card into your PC)

Not much difference!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport