16kg Marriage's Manitoba Strong Flour Costco

Options
What does anyone know about Marriage's Manitoba Strong White flour, bought from COSTCO in 16kg bag for less than £8. For use in breadmaker - the reults are excellent! Anyone else tried it?

Comments

• thriftlady_2
    Options
    Is that particularly cheap though ? 50p a kilo. I find Tesco strong bread flour fine for breadmaking and it costs 61p for 1.5 kg (51p until the 19th at the mo)
  • lizzyb1812
    lizzyb1812 Posts: 1,392 Forumite
    Options
    You beat me to it thriftlady. Lidl strong bread flour is 59p for 1.5kg (it may in fact be even less 49p?? not sure) which is 40p per kilo and it does make lovely bread.
    "Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass...it's about learning how to dance in the rain." ~ Vivian Greene
  • lizzyb1812
    lizzyb1812 Posts: 1,392 Forumite
    Options
    You beat me to it thriftlady. Lidl strong bread flour is 59p for 1.5kg (it may in fact be even less 49p?? not sure) which is 40p per kilo and it does make lovely bread. But if you're not a Lidl fan or don't have one near then 50p per kilo seems a good price.
    "Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass...it's about learning how to dance in the rain." ~ Vivian Greene
  • in_my_wellies
    Options
    Mariages flour is the very best top quality flour
    Love living in a village in the country side
  • V.Lucky
    V.Lucky Posts: 806 Forumite
    Options
    Personally, I wouldn't buy that quantity of flour as I would worry about our friend the weevil getting into it.

If you end up throwing it away it's not such a bargain.
    :hello:
  • Caterina
    Caterina Posts: 5,919 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    You can put flour in the freezer, the paper bag protected by a large rubbish plastic sack. I have kept wholemeal flour (which gets very rancid very quickly at room temperature) for ages this way and it is still good after nearly a year!

Caterina
    Finally I'm an OAP and can travel free (in London at least!).
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Teah - you are all right. Friend bought himself breadmaker - panasonic- and has been at it for weeks. Was he was a country boy and his mum always swore by Marriages flour, so it's cheap flour for Canadian of that quality. I introduced him to Lidl - he was inclined to be snobby - dunno why coz it seems mix of continenta food and goods to me - but admitted he liked the bread Lidl's flour made
  • Red_Cat
    Red_Cat Posts: 1,040 Forumite
    Options
    Do Costco still sell this flour and at what price?

I am using Lidl British bread flour. pre Christmas my local store had it for 60p per 1.5kg, but this has bow gone up to 69p. If the Marriage's flour is around the same price, I would be inclined to try that.
    Hoping this year is better than the last. :)
  • Penelope_Penguin
    Options
    Red_Cat wrote: »

I am using Lidl British bread flour. pre Christmas my local store had it for 60p per 1.5kg, but this has bow gone up to 69p. If the Marriage's flour is around the same price, I would be inclined to try that.

Bearing in mind that this thread is over 4 years old, it's unlikely :)
    :rudolf: Sheep, pigs, hens and bees on our Teesdale smallholding :rudolf:
  • weezl74
    weezl74 Posts: 8,701 Forumite
    Options
    Red_Cat wrote: »

no bread flour at all in my local costco (cardiff)

Asda sill have it at 50p per 1.5 kg, so that's the best bargain I know of :)

:hello:Jonathan 'Fergie' Fergus William, born 05/03/09, 7lb 4.4oz:hello:
    :)Benjamin 'Kezzie' Kester Jacob, born 18/03/10, 7lb 5oz:)
    cash neutral gifts 2011, value of purchased gifts/actual paid/amount earnt to cover it £67/£3.60/£0
    january grocery challenge, feed 4 of us for £40
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport