problems with ppi on mortgage cover

Options
Hi
I work at a fish and chip resturant and took ill xmas time I ignored it until my work told me to go too doc's he's put me on anti acid tablets. which stops acid but still getting out of breath and throwing up everyday they have found gallbladder polyps and incompetent esophageal sphincter which they believe is coursing my problems.#

anyway I have been signed of again for further test so they can figure out course of action.I have put a claim into my ppi company and just recieved phone call saying they are not goint too pay out due too my sick ness not being Infectious so theres no reason for me not too go to work in my records it says i can controll my sickness by not eating so they have suggested not too eat.

I just want too make sure i am doing right thing as its first insurance claim.

wait for paperwork from insurance company.
write letter of complaint too them.
wait for reply and if they still not moving go to ombudsman.

is this right?
I have also been in touch with food standard agency too see what they say trying to get it in writing that if you are suffering long term sick you caanot work in catering which is what insurancers are saying
"It is your decisions, and not your conditions, that determine your destiny".

Comments

• fluffnutter
    fluffnutter Posts: 23,179 Forumite
    Options
    What a brilliant suggestion! 'Don't eat'! Love it! There might be better boards to post on than this one, but one thing that strikes me... if you doctor's signed you off, then you're not fit to work, regardless of what some poxy insurance person says. Perhaps it doesn't work like that, but surely they take into account what your GP's saying??

I'm not an expert. Hopefully someone will be along soon who knows about insurance.
    "Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell" - Edward Abbey.
  • kjc82
    kjc82 Posts: 14 Forumite
    Options
    That was my understanding aswell, if the docs say you can't work and they have completd the forms then they should pay out, obviously unless your insurance does not cover your illness but it would say that in the exclusion list of your policy x

Hope you get it sorted though and feel better soon x
  • pinkshoes
    pinkshoes Posts: 20,133 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    My dad had a quadruple heart bypass, and that didn't qualify for payments either!
    Should've = Should HAVE (not 'of')
    Would've = Would HAVE (not 'of')

No, I am not perfect, but yes I do judge people on their use of basic English language. If you didn't know the above, then learn it! (If English is your second language, then you are forgiven!)
  • fluffnutter
    Options
    pinkshoes wrote: »
    My dad had a quadruple heart bypass, and that didn't qualify for payments either!

Not infectious you see. And if he was having problems with his heart that prevented him working, then simple! he should have just stopped it beating!
  • Flyboy152
    Flyboy152 Posts: 17,118 Forumite
    Options
    dean72 wrote: »
    Hi
    I work at a fish and chip resturant and took ill xmas time I ignored it until my work told me to go too doc's he's put me on anti acid tablets. which stops acid but still getting out of breath and throwing up everyday they have found gallbladder polyps and incompetent esophageal sphincter which they believe is coursing my problems.#

anyway I have been signed of again for further test so they can figure out course of action.I have put a claim into my ppi company and just recieved phone call saying they are not goint too pay out due too my sick ness not being Infectious so theres no reason for me not too go to work in my records it says i can controll my sickness by not eating so they have suggested not too eat.

I just want too make sure i am doing right thing as its first insurance claim.

wait for paperwork from insurance company.
    write letter of complaint too them.
    wait for reply and if they still not moving go to ombudsman.

is this right?
    I have also been in touch with food standard agency too see what they say trying to get it in writing that if you are suffering long term sick you caanot work in catering which is what insurancers are saying

As it is against hygiene regulations for you to work with food with a digestive illness, they are talking out of the other end of their gastric tract.
    The greater danger, for most of us, lies not in setting our aim too high and falling short; but in setting our aim too low and achieving our mark
  • dean72
    dean72 Posts: 64 Forumite
    Options
    I have now had a response from insurance company quoting from food stanard agency booklet.
    " infections are not the only cause of diarhoea and vomitting and exclusion is not required where there is good evidence of non-infective cause"

so I phoned again too raise official complaint also complain about them lowering my payout too less than my actual mortgage if i dont go back too work in the near future.

catch 22 here now doc says i am not fit for work my work says i am not fit for work but insurance is saying if i dont go back they are going too lower my benifit if they have too pay out.

at time's i do feel i can go back until i throw up then i can't even stand straight with stomach cramps and theres no telling when I am going to throw up I am eating 3 slice of dry bread a day.
    only good thing is my weight has gone down too what i was whhen i was 16 yrs old
  • Flyboy152
    Flyboy152 Posts: 17,118 Forumite
    Options
    I have now had a response from insurance company quoting from food stanard agency booklet.
    " infections are not the only cause of diarhoea and vomitting and exclusion is not required where there is good evidence of non-infective cause"

so I phoned again too raise official complaint also complain about them lowering my payout too less than my actual mortgage if i dont go back too work in the near future.

catch 22 here now doc says i am not fit for work my work says i am not fit for work but insurance is saying if i dont go back they are going too lower my benifit if they have too pay out.

at time's i do feel i can go back until i throw up then i can't even stand straight with stomach cramps and theres no telling when I am going to throw up I am eating 3 slice of dry bread a day.

You best course of action will be to gather all the evidence you have so far, sort it out into chronological order and then contact the Financial Ombudsman Service. They are a very good source of information and will take on your case if they feel you have been treated unfairly.
    only good thing is my weight has gone down too what i was whhen i was 16 yrs old

I can't agree with there I am afraid, I was skinny as heck when I was sixteen, I had to run around in the shower to get wet. :rotfl::rotfl:
    The greater danger, for most of us, lies not in setting our aim too high and falling short; but in setting our aim too low and achieving our mark
  • fluffnutter
    Options

Hmm, I think I'd be trying to find the bit in their terms and conditions that relates to GP advice. I'd be looking for something that says 'Despite what your GP advises, we reserve the right to make our own wacky medical decisions'. If you don't see anything similar then that's the start of your argument. How can a company not pay out if your GP signs you off? You can't work if you're signed off. It's against your company's rules and they'd never let you!
  • squeaky
    squeaky Posts: 14,129 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Which company is providing the ppi?
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = £5.20 Apr £0.50
  • dean72
    dean72 Posts: 64 Forumite
    Options
    It was norwich union when I took it out
    now its AVIVA.
    I have written a letter of complaint.
    about dicision and some of there comments.
    like we advice you do not snack on " chips covered in vinegar"
    and "it's more phsychological cause"

then when i get final response I am taking it too the financial ombudsman.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure