Bread sauce - WHY?

Options
For the past 12 years since my parents died I have been doing a perfect job of the Christmas lunch - Or so I thought but I keep reading and hearing about bread sauce.

What is it and what is it used for and where does it come in the Christmas lunch?

I make Turkey gravy using the juice from the bird but I can't imagine having that mixed with some yucky white sauce all over my veggies and mash.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Don't ever stop believing........
Never get tired of watching you, someday you will break through.....

Comments

• hardpressed
    Options
    Bread sauce isn't runny, well mine isn't. I have a dollop on the side of the plate. You need to put an onion and some cloves, salt and pepper into milk, heat it then let it cool so that the flovour of the onion and cloves go into the milk then strain it and mix in some white breadcrumbs then gently reheat add a knob of butter, and there you have it. Sorry , haven't got exact measurements I just guess. It's lovely. Or you can buy a packet.
  • jembie
    jembie Posts: 936 Forumite
    Options
    Oh...so is it like an alternative to Cranberry sauce? or do you have Cranberry sauce as well?
    Do you dip your turkey in it?

You can see how thick I am but I never ever heard of it being part of the Christmas dinner before. I always thought bread sauce was something you had over Fish :embarasse :rolleyes:
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Don't ever stop believing........
    Never get tired of watching you, someday you will break through.....
  • kathyd_2
    Options
    We've never had bread sauce with our Christmas lunch. Thought cranberry sauce was traditional. Don't think I'd like it.
  • foreign_correspondent
    Options
    ooh, I love bread sauce.. I make it almost exactly the same as hardpressed - cut an onion in half, stick a few cloves in it, chuck into a pint of milk with a bay leaf, seasoning, and maybe a little bit of veg stock cube.
    Bring to boil, let it stand for a while to infuse, strain, and bung in cubed white bread, (cut off crusts first) warm through, add a dollop of butter and dollop on the side of the plate!
    We have it as well as cranberry sauce, and I think its gorgeous! I often make it with roast chicken throughout the year as well, not only at christmas.
    Ok, i am hungry now!
  • Raspberry_Swirl
    Options
    bread sauce is the best part of a roast dinner!!!! i dollop it on the side of the plate and the mix peas into it and add a little gravy on top :D
  • Snaggles
    Snaggles Posts: 19,503 Forumite
    Options
    I agree, bread sauce is gorgeous! We have bread sauce, stuffings, cranberry sauce, apple sauce......a bit of everything! :)
    "I wasn't wrong, I just wasn't right enough."
    :smileyhea
  • PurpleDuck
    Options
    Bread sauce is heaven - but only if it homemade :T I make a vat of it and have it on left overs and in sandwiches. Mixed with left over turkey and curry powder and heated up is a lovely dinner as well :D
  • dpc036
    dpc036 Posts: 66 Forumite
    Options
    bread sauce makes the christmas dinner.
  • full-time-mum
    Options
    Snaggles wrote:
    I agree, bread sauce is gorgeous! We have bread sauce, stuffings, cranberry sauce, apple sauce......a bit of everything! :)

Me too...
    It wouldn't be xmas without bread sauce - make your own though, it is soooo much better than packet stuff.
    7 Angel Bears for LovingHands Autumn Challenge. 10 KYSTGYSES. 3 and 3/4 (ran out of wool) small blanket/large square, 2 premie blankets, 2 Angel Claire Bodywarmers
  • Nicki
    Nicki Posts: 8,166 Forumite
    Options
    Bread sauce is fabulous but I wonder whether Jembie might be confusing it with white sauce which is more commonly served with fish. Bread sauce is much much tastier!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure