MSE News: Compulsory water meters to be installed in thousands of homes

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Water Bills
65 replies 11.6K views

Replies

• WenchWench Forumite
    380 Posts
    I recieved one of these a few months back, first i knew of it was workmen digging up my front lawn at 8am. Was told that everyone in the area was recieving one.
    Didnt half make a mess of the front lawn, I was worried the LL was gonna moan at me :(
  • anotherbaldrickanotherbaldrick Forumite
    2.3K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    A lot of households without big families will find their water bills going down a lot when they go onto the meter.
    You scullion! You rampallian! You fustilarian! I’ll tickle your catastrophe (Henry IV part 2)
  • I don't have a meter and I wouldn't want one. Water is one thing no-one can live without. I have 2 kids and do thing like using the washing machine at least twice a day seven days a week if not more. As many other things that water is needed for.

Water is the one thing that should not be metered.
  • cajefcajef Forumite
    6K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    I don't have a meter and I wouldn't want one. Water is one thing no-one can live without. I have 2 kids and do thing like using the washing machine at least twice a day seven days a week if not more. As many other things that water is needed for.

So why should you not pay for what you use, other people are subsidising your use, I am afraid you have just given a good reason why people should all be metered the amount you are using must be horrendous.
    I used to have a handle on life, but it broke. :|
  • I do wish this was happening in Scotland. It is sickening that water costs three times as much as gas and double the electricity and that there is zero freedom to adjust.
  • luxor4tluxor4t Forumite
    11.1K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    We're having to pay £540 a year - 3 bed house, one loo, two sinks, a bath with a shower over it. The joys of living in Wales! MUST look into getting a water meter.
    I can cook and sew, make flowers grow.
  • millermiller Forumite
    1.4K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker Photogenic
    ✭✭✭
    South East Water customers can find out when this is happening here:
    http://www.makingeverydropcount.co.uk/postcode_search/search.php
  • oldtractoroldtractor Forumite
    2.3K Posts
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    ✭✭✭✭
    4 of us live in a 2 bed tiny end terraced house. I dont want a water meter.
  • PetlambPetlamb Forumite
    922 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Photogenic Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    Can't say it upsets me one bit - we're already on one and seeing as all new builds have to have them... why not?

Surely it makes more sense for everyone to pay a proportional cost related to what they use, and in turn perhaps make them a tad more conscious of their usage?
    On the up :D
    Our wedding day! 13/06/15
  • TippytoesTippytoes Forumite
    1.1K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    Wakey wake. Thousands are to have water meters, whether they want them or not. Thousands will cut back on the amount of water they use. Water companies' profits will plummet. Water companies will put up prices. Cost of water will be more than under old rateable value. Water companies win. Consumers pay more...............................plenty to celebrate. Whilst those already on meters may pay less at the moment, wait until everyone has a meter.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Students - apply for uni funding NOW

If you plan to get a place via 'clearing'

MSE News

A guide to council tax bands

Lower your band & save £1,000s

MSE Guides