OMG omg i made compost

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Greenfingered MoneySaving
21 replies 2K views
carole.ukcarole.uk Forumite
1.8K Posts
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Greenfingered MoneySaving
Eekkkk!!!! Iam well excited!!! i have made compost:j... over a year ago i drilled some holes in an old wheelie bin and after filling with shredded paper, old veg & peelings etc i now have the most amazing compost all soft & fluffy... believe me if i can do it anyone can :D pics to follow
IT'S ALL ABOUT ME!!!:j:money:

Replies

• stilerninstilernin Forumite
    1.2K Posts
    ✭✭✭
    'Tis just magic, I know. :j Food for our plants, for free!
  • RuthnJasperRuthnJasper Forumite
    4K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Did you hear the Simon Mayo show on Radio 2 on Friday? Bob Flowerdew was on, talking about compost, and he said that the sign of a good compost was that it smelled so sweet that you'd want to make a sandwich with it!!!

He also mentioned about adding wee-wee and assorted roadkill finds to the heap, so perhaps not as good a theory as it sounds.

Top-tip: If you're 'round the Flowerdew's for drinks, steer clear of the buffet...! x
  • valk_scotvalk_scot Forumite
    5.3K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    :TLol...that's so sweet. Post a picture of your fluffy compost by all means!
    Val.
  • JMurphJMurph Forumite
    202 Posts
    in my last house i had a compost bin i got free from the council, but didn't take it with me when i moved, and now the council aren't giving them away :(

but i found 2 old bins round the side of new house, and was going to throw them out! not any more :) yay! i got to get making compost again, thanks for the idea carole!
  • katholicoskatholicos Forumite
    2.7K Posts
    Well done. I look forward to seeing your photos.
    Grocery Challenge for October: £135/£200

NSD Challenge: October 0/14
  • jim22jim22 Forumite
    1.2K Posts
    I use wee as an activator in the dalek. Works well. Roadkill idea-not sure about that with the rats it might encourage.
  • RuthnJasperRuthnJasper Forumite
    4K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    jim22 wrote: »
    I use wee as an activator in the dalek. Works well. Roadkill idea-not sure about that with the rats it might encourage.

That was my first thought (about the roadkill). I live by a river and it's pretty much the Costa del Sol for rats! Annoying.

My parents have a really good compost-heap going, and have done for a number of years. Trouble is, every time we visit Jasper-dog makes a beeline for the compost dug into the soil - he LOVES eating it!!! Ewww....
    sick0021.gif

The other thing Bob Flowerdew suggested was that, when you have a barbecue, put any meat-bones into the charcoal and then burn them down to ash, along with the charcoal itself. Then, when cool, add the bone/charcoal ashes to the compost heap. Et voila! Good healthy home-made bone-meal for garden and plants! :D
  • lostinrateslostinrates Forumite
    55.3K Posts
    I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    still waiting to see pics an feeling almost but not quite inspired enough to go and turn mine. I'll ask dh to do it at the weekend instead. ;)
  • DaftyDuckDaftyDuck Forumite
    4.6K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    If your compost bin is full, but waiting for the compost to ripen in a few months, plant a courgette, marrow, or even melon on the top. It's brilliant! The maturing compost feeds it and keeps it warm, the height off the ground means all the veg stays clean, and the nutrients/humidity mean you'll get the best veg you've ever had! (You should add about four inches of soil on top to help it off to a good start).

When all marrow production has finished, just fold it inside the bin, and stick the lid on!

It means you've made use of the couple of months that you can't put more in the bin, and turns it from an ugly plastic thing to a pretty green growy thing!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Forumite
    0 Posts
    MoneySaving Newbie
    Thank you daffy, great tip as I have a maturing full compst heap and a spare patty pan squash, which I was going to give away tomorrow. Yikes, in the nick of time. I`ll plant it later today
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

17 Netflix hacks

Cut costs & get more from your subscription

MSE Guides

Beauty Advent calendar round-up

Incl M&S calendar release date

MSE Deals