Premier Law Limited.

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Reclaiming Mortgage Fees, Council Tax, etc
26 replies 6.2K views
neil4649neil4649 Forumite
1 Post
Hi,
I have recieved a letter from premier law limited saying that i am entitled to a claim. They seem to think that because they gave me no choice in my solicitor, there is a professional negligence case.

"You are entitled to a claim due to the way in which monetary matters gave you no choice in the appointment of the solicitor they used. This solicitor allowed large fees to be paid out of your discount/equity without giving you adequate professional advice. Solicitors must always work in their clients best interests and we believe this did not happen with your purchase"

I should point out that it was a 'Right to buy' mortgage in which i bought the house from the council at a reduced price due to the length of time i had rented it. (hence the discount they are referring to)

They go on to say that there will be no up front fees, and that they work on a no win no fee basis.

I would greatly appreciate the opinion of someone who knows about this type of thing.......is it worth a phonecall?? Are there any good questions i should be asking if i do give them a call?? Has anyone else had anything similar??

Thanks in advance, Neil

Replies

• dunstonhdunstonh Forumite
    107.5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    They seem to think that because they gave me no choice in my solicitor, there is a professional negligence case.

That "excuse" has been posted a few times but its not a valid one.

They seem to be doing the rounds at the moment. Some of the excuses they are using seem to be more to get themselves in the door so they can look at your info and then use it as a fishing expedition to find other reasons or things that they may apply.
  • LoopyPruneLoopyPrune Forumite
    205 Posts
    Had another company fishing with the same line about the solictors. Upon closer inspection of the number they called from. It was the same telephone number as Home & County, my original mortgage advisor. They used a different company name though.

I got a feeling they know they going to have to pay out on the £995 mppi policy they added to my mortgage at the start of term and this is their way of charging me 25-30% and reducing the amount they have to pay me.

Sort of a 'we can help you sue ourselves scenario'
    Credit card and overdraft at 18. 2 loans and 3 storecards at 20. University education flushed down the toilet through debt at 22. Car finance at 23. Car repossessed at 24. Rock bottom at 25. Learnt my lesson 26-33. Now 34 with a mortgage on an affordable house, a car paid for with cash and a bank account in credit. I learnt the hard way.
    107.5K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Some of the less reputable mortgage adviser firms have moved into claims. Some ceased trading and are now using their data to put in complaints about themselves. Yet as they are not trading, it is the good firms still left trading that have to pay out.

it is worth noting that these guys are not solicitors. It is against MoJ rules and Law Society rules for solicitors to cold call or use someone else to cold call where legal action may be required. Most claims companies use sales people and not those qualified and experienced.

You could set yourself up as a claims company in a couple of weeks with no problem. You then start cold calling the phone directory telling people they have been mis-sold. You may only get 1 in 10 people interested but at £500 a sign up you dont need that many.

The thing to avoid is being told they will look at something at no cost but they then come back and say that there is no case to answer there but there is something wrong in xyz area but you will need to pay £x for them to deal with it.
    205 Posts
    So basically its only the MPPI added to policy that is a bona fide complaint all this other stuff they are shoveling about solictors and mortgage advisor fees etc is the fishing line?
    Credit card and overdraft at 18. 2 loans and 3 storecards at 20. University education flushed down the toilet through debt at 22. Car finance at 23. Car repossessed at 24. Rock bottom at 25. Learnt my lesson 26-33. Now 34 with a mortgage on an affordable house, a car paid for with cash and a bank account in credit. I learnt the hard way.
    107.5K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Mortgage adviser fees are allowed. Solicitor restriction is allowed.

Single premium MPPI is an easy complaint with near 99% uphold rate at FOS (monthly premium MPPI is what it should be).

Save yourself some money and put your own complaint in. I have seen some of the letters these claims companies send in and they are just the same templates you get from the internet for free. They use the same free of charge complaints process. They are doing nothing for it.
    205 Posts
    Yer I thought as much. All this very nice speel on the phone and I got the impression she actually knew the guy who sold us the policy in the first place. She had too many of my documents on scan file/ knew more details then me, to be a complete seperate company.

Alarm bells were ringing when I checked the number she called from.
  • magpiecottagemagpiecottage
    9.2K Posts
    1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    LoopyPrune wrote: »
    Had another company fishing with the same line about the solictors. Upon closer inspection of the number they called from. It was the same telephone number as Home & County, my original mortgage advisor. They used a different company name though.

I got a feeling they know they going to have to pay out on the £995 mppi policy they added to my mortgage at the start of term and this is their way of charging me 25-30% and reducing the amount they have to pay me.

Sort of a 'we can help you sue ourselves scenario'

I have seen it happen before.

Home & County ceased to be authorised in March and is now in liquidation. However, it appears that its only director at the time, has now started a new company called HL Partnership as an appointed representative of Yes Financial Services Ltd.

Attempting to avoid responsibiity for the liabilities of a business by starting another one is known as Phoenixing and prohibited by the FSA.
  • linda._2linda._2 Forumite
    3 Posts
    Thank you for the advice about the letters from Premier Law. It seemed very real, they had all my details including the fact that my mortgage was a right to buy. I called them and a girl with an attitude took my contact details and said they would call me back. They have not and at least now I know to have nothing to do with them.I have only 1 question though I think I know the answer.They did add 1 off payment ppi and told me it was mandatory. However I have claimed on it so I would not have a claim against them would I?
    107.5K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    It seemed very real, they had all my details including the fact that my mortgage was a right to buy.

So, they are in breach of the data protection act as your information is not in the public domain. So, how have they got it?
  • hi i posted in the other topic that was from feb/march as it had more replies. im new sorry. can anyone help with what happens after you sign the forms from premier law? can you go back on the contract without paying? do you get 14 days cooling off without having to pay etc? also the contract says if we terminate the agreement we have to pay for every phonecall over 6 mins and every letter at nearly 200 pound for everything a/time. has anyone won? or got out of their contract? it was signed 12 hours ago and now i want out can i? help please x
This discussion has been closed.
Latest News and Guides