Mobile broadband

Hi,
Im looking at mobile broadband for my shiney new computer (as I dont have a landline), however have no idea how much allowance I need...

Most reasonabley priced ones (£10ish per month) give you 1GB and im not sure if this would be enough or not. I mainly just use the internet for shopping/emails etc...but my housemate watches videos on iplayer and has just downloaded itunes too -so will be downloading music and podcasts.. -will we need more than 1GB?

Sorry for the stupid question...

:o

Comments

• santer_2
    santer_2 Posts: 4,406
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    edited 31 May 2011 at 2:56PM
    Yes

Watching iPlayer will use a fair bit

http://www.broadbandgenie.co.uk/mobilebroadband/dongle
  • 23n1th
    23n1th Posts: 1,523 Forumite
    My advice is either get a landline or virgin, mobile broadband is no good for home use.
  • stilltheone
    stilltheone Posts: 2,131 Forumite
    For mobile broadband:

Go to Site Finder, click on the map and pop the relevant postcode in the box.
    A map should appear, hopefully with some blue triangles.

You'll need to click on each of the blue triangles in turn, reading the details.
    What you are looking for are UMTS masts under 'type of transmission' within 500 metres of the place of intended usage and the name of the operator.

Once you have that info, cross check with the network's 'coverage checker'. Report back with the findings.
  • vikingaero
    vikingaero Posts: 10,920
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    23n1th wrote: »
    My advice is either get a landline or virgin, mobile broadband is no good for home use.

Even if you get a landline you may live too far from the exchange for any BB service. For some people mobile BB is the only option. Quaint as it may seem there are still a load of people using dial-up.

My advice would be to use the sitefinders and each mobile network website for coverage. Next if you have a decent mobile phone, sit where you might use the laptop the most and use it to scan for other networks and see what type of signal it gives - ie. O2 3G, Orange 2G, Vodafone 3G+, Three 3G etc. If you can wangle a friend who has mobile BB to boot up at your home then so much the better.
    The man without a signature.
  • asbokid
    asbokid Posts: 2,008 Forumite
    edited 31 May 2011 at 11:47PM
    vikingaero wrote: »
    Even if you get a landline you may live too far from the exchange for any BB service. For some people mobile BB is the only option. Quaint as it may seem there are still a load of people using dial-up.

My advice would be to use the sitefinders and each mobile network website for coverage. Next if you have a decent mobile phone, sit where you might use the laptop the most and use it to scan for other networks and see what type of signal it gives - ie. O2 3G, Orange 2G, Vodafone 3G+, Three 3G etc. If you can wangle a friend who has mobile BB to boot up at your home then so much the better.

the trouble with the Ofcom sitefinder is that it won't tell you whether the cell is congested. You could be just a few feet from the mast with a 100% signal strength, but if you are in contention for bandwidth with 500000 other users of the same mast, the service will still be pants.

best to beg, borrow or steal a PAYG dongle for the network of interest and trial the service over a few weeks before committing to any contract.
  • esuhl
    esuhl Posts: 9,409
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    my housemate watches videos on iplayer and has just downloaded itunes too -so will be downloading music and podcasts.. -will we need more than 1GB?

If I remember rightly, an hour-long iPlayer video is about 600MB, so you'd reach the 1GB limit at about 1hr 40mins!

And iTunes tracks are (I think) recorded at 128kb/s, so you could (instead) download about 17hrs 45mins of music before reaching 1GB.

Hope this helps...
  • 1GB is very low :( If you were just plainly surfing the internet 'argos' seem to think that 1GB equates to 10 hours surfing time. You can get 'pay as you go' Mobile Broadband - so after you use the allowance you can 'top it up' like it were a mobile phone - Personally I would choose this rather than a contract dongle. Also Cable broadband like 23n1th said 'virgin' - Therefore NOT requiring a landline :)
  • stilltheone
    stilltheone Posts: 2,131 Forumite
    Just buy an unlocked modem in the first place. Then you are free to use whichever network for which you can get a data SIM...and do not commit to a long term contract. :)

One of the cheapest options for a modem currently(as you don't have to purchase credit) is this T-Mobile Broadband USB Stick 120-Pink for £9.78. But you'll have to unlock it for any other network. Instructions here.

If you can't be asked with unlocking, you can get this O2 Huawei E160-Pink for £13.98.
  • CoolHotCold
    CoolHotCold Posts: 2,158
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    IF mobile broadband really is the only thing in your area go with something like This Its 5GB of Data a Month for £15.99 and its on a rolling contact (30 days notice) and will be more cost efficient in the long run then paying £15 per 1GB every week or two.
  • santer_2
    santer_2 Posts: 4,406
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Mine is unlimited for £15 a month but cannot see it listed now
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts