Capital One card or Tesco card?

Options
Ron2
Ron2 Posts: 43 Forumite
I have a Capital One credit card which gives me £10 every January and 1p in the £ cashback.

My wife has an ordinary Tesco credit card for which she gets Tesco points.

We do most of our grocery shopping in Asda as I used to work there and still get my 10% discount for 1 year after I retire, though that will soon end.

I buy all my petrol from Tesco using my Capital One card and get Tesco points using my wife's clubcard, so cashback and Tesco points.

Because we are both retired I am trying to simplify our finances so am trying to work out whether to use one credit card for all our spending and whether it should be the Capital One card or the Tesco card.

Any Tesco points we get are spent instore, we never convert them into anything as we only get about 3000 points a year.

So Tesco points or cashback?

Comments

• OllyM
    OllyM Posts: 370 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    Most likely the cashback is better - it depends when your wife got the Tesco credit card as they have different earning rates but on the current card you get 1 point for every £4 you spend, which is equivalent to 0.25% cashback if you spend the vouchers in Tesco, or 0.75% if you convert them to certain deals.
  • Ron2
    Ron2 Posts: 43 Forumite
    Options
    current card you get 1 point for every £4 you spend

So that is why I get more points buying petrol and using my Capital One card than my wife gets using her Tesco card, yet she spends more than I.

Same thing happened with my Asda card and points. When I took it out you got points on petrol. Then they stopped.

Though I only took that out so a colleague could get commission. That is why I started buying my petrol at Tesco even though I worked in Asda.
  • OllyM
    OllyM Posts: 370 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    Well, to complicate things further you now get awarded 2 points per £2 spent at a Tesco petrol station if you pay on a Tesco credit card, vs 1 point per £2 spent if you pay with another card, on top of the £4/point rate. It still doesn't make it any good though ;)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure