Union Help Hubby May Loose Job?

Options
2»

Comments

• Hazel2000
    Options
    Hubby just text they have decided to bite the bullet, have spoke to rep and he is coming to the site at lunch time he is not at all happy with the way this has been dealt with so will let you know the outcome
  • hobo28
    hobo28 Posts: 1,601 Forumite
    Options
    Hazel2000 wrote:
    ...and has been told if he puts it in they will sack the other brickie that he works with...
    Ooooh, if only you had that recorded onto tape. Add blackmail to the list as well as unfair dismissal. In fact, I wonder if there is a case for constructive dismissal here?

Good luck and keep us posted
  • Hazel2000
    Options
    it is awful, if it had been summer time there would have been no problem the trouble maker would have been moved to another job but due to time of year there are only a couple of houses left and hubbys squad is the only one left on the books, i think this is why the bosses are being so arrogant about the whole thing, but these laws are here for a reason so fingers crossed it will all work out - but i think hubby will be named as a trouble maker by the bosses as he has stuck up for himself
  • gundo
    gundo Posts: 249 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    lynzpower wrote:
    there is no way your hubby can get sacked for this, legally.

3. your hubby has the right to protect himself from harm. If he gets sacked for doing so I anticipate a large payout.

Both bits absolutely true and correct but in my recent experience, employers don't sack you they just make you redundant instead. You get approx £275 for each year you've worked and then it's "Adios Amigos!". Job done.

Chances of getting unfair dismissal are zilch so long as the redundancy procedure is followed to the letter and they've dotted all the I's and crossed all the T's. Tribunals DO NOT like to tell a business how it should be run so the employer just says that they need to rationalize or whatever and the job's a good 'un.

Happened to me a year ago. I was the only person to be made redundant out of a workforce of more than 450 employees but it still wasn't classed as unfair dismissal according to the expensive employment lawyer I spoke to. HR still tried to diddle me out of redundancy payment saying that the notice period didn't count towards to the 2 year qualification period for redundancy. My reply was "Not according to the lawyers I've spoken to, you may wish to consult yours..." which scared them into paying up otherwise I would have had a case.

Good luck to your hubby.

As for the law being overly favourable to employees IME and IMHO that's rubbish.
    Trying hard to be a good moneysaver.
  • hobo28
    hobo28 Posts: 1,601 Forumite
    Options
    gundo wrote:
    Both bits absolutely true and correct but in my recent experience, employers don't sack you they just make you redundant instead. You get approx £275 for each year you've worked and then it's "Adios Amigos!". Job done.

Possibly but they cannot then recruit someone to fill his post otherwise its back to unfair dismissal again.
  • hjb123
    hjb123 Posts: 32,002 Forumite
    Options
    Am I reading this right, they are saying that if the complaint goes in that they will sack your hubbys friend rather than the one causing the trouble. This is not right at all!

Hope its gone okay today
    Weight Loss - 102lb
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family