Union Help Hubby May Loose Job?

Options
Morning, I hope this is the best place to post.

I am at my wits end and hoping someone here may be able to help.

Hubby has worked for a well established building contractor for 2 years and 1 week as a builders labourer working along side 2 brickies, one brickie has constantly been abusive nothing major to begin with just what the lads call banter recently it has became much more and now has become abusive saying things like gonna get you punch your lights out etc, my hubby and the other brickie have made complaints against this man to the boss as they cannot work with him (other issues to do with his time keeping etc as well) bosses had orginally been good about the situation and said could possibly move him to another squad but nothing happened, last night kicked off in van on way home and hubby today did not go and pick this man up as he felt he could be in danger, went straigh to boss and told him about this - boss has now said he could get sack for not picking him up and is fed up of them moaning as it is just their word against his

Sorry for my ramblings if any one has any advise it would be greatfully received

thanks

Comments

• Hazel2000
    Options
    it now gets worse, just had text from hubby saying guy got his own way to work has admitted to bosses he been threatning hubby but they say its okay as its a building site????!!!
  • Js_Other_Half
    Options
    No bright ideas, but surely making threats is illegal and the police could be consulted? Do you have a legal helpline with your household insurance for advice?
    The IVF worked;DS born 2006.
  • THE_LONE_RANGER_4
    Options
    if they sack your husband he will have a case for unfair dissmisal , i dont think they will how ever sack him, but he should have picked him up if. he is being threatened he should tell his employer and ask them what they are going to do and say if they are not going to address it he will make a complaint to the police that you are being threatened etc it is an offence ,
  • nickyhutch
    nickyhutch Posts: 7,596 Forumite
    Options
    These things are so difficult, aren't they? My OH was in a job for just over a year where his immediate superior did nothing but pick his work to bits and slag him off behind his back (while doing !!!!!! all himself). In these sorts of businesses it's more difficult tostand up for yourself because you DO get the bosses sick of the moaning and arguing and they just get shut of people in the end.

My OH was made redundant last week, along with 12 others, on the say-so of this idiotic bully, so you can imagine what a nightmare week we've had. Thankfully, he's found a new job starting 2nd Jan, and is this very minute off on his way to do some temp work for a fortnight.

I'm sorry I can't offer any help, just sympathy, and just to say it's so difficult to watch from the sidelines, isn't it? I wanted to go in and mouth off to this idiot (OH not very good at putting his case across himself) , but ho-hum, that would have made things worse.

Keep your chin up, and back your OH up at home so he knows you support him.
    ******** Never be a spectator of unfairness or stupidity *******
    "Always be calm and polite, and have the materials to make a bomb"
  • Hazel2000
    Options
    thanks all, he has put in an offical complaint and tonight will contact his union rep
  • nickyhutch
    nickyhutch Posts: 7,596 Forumite
    Options
    Let us know how he gets on, Hazel, will be interesting to see.
    ******** Never be a spectator of unfairness or stupidity *******
    "Always be calm and polite, and have the materials to make a bomb"
  • hobo28
    hobo28 Posts: 1,601 Forumite
    Options
    I agree with Lone Ranger, if he did get dismissed then it would be clearly a case of unfair dismissal. Especially since the person has actually admitted to threatening your OH.

Might be worth keeping a journal of whats said and whats happened tho, in case one day you need it.
  • bootman
    bootman Posts: 1,985 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    A couple of weeks ago my husband had to give someone a verbal warning at work. My husband is his boss. This chap is a real slacker and taking the mick.

Any how yesterday my husband had a letter from this chaps solicitor pulling the disciplinary to bits and basically accusing my husband of being bully and that a letter about this has been sent to my husbands boss for them to take up with him. we were gob smacked! If telling someone they are not doing their job turns into bullying what is this world coming to.

So the law definitely seems to be on the side of the employee whatever they have done. I would tell your husband not to worry.

He has to be invited to attend a hearing 1st for a verbal warning stating what he has done. This needs to then be sent to him in writing.

If he has a contract he needs to dig it out and check his disciplinary procedure. They have to follow it to the letter.
  • lynzpower
    lynzpower Posts: 25,311 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    there is no way your hubby can get sacked for this, legally.

1. its surely the abusive fellas own responsibility to get himself to work. What happens when your hubby has a day off? WHat no one comes to work - come off it! This bloke im sure is big and hard enough to get himself to site alone. Its not your hubbys responsiblity.

2. your OH is being "bullied" and has reported as such to his superior. If his superior colludes with this ( tick! check!) then effectively the organisation is bullying him. This is how court will see it.

3. your hubby has the right to protect himself from harm. If he gets sacked for doing so I anticipate a large payout.

Are you part of a trade union, Id ring them if I were you and get some guidance on it all. Personally, my feeling is that he should be putting in a grievance to his supervisor about the way that his complaint was handled.
    Take advice from your union or acas about how to do this.

Lynz
    x
    :beer: Well aint funny how its the little things in life that mean the most? Not where you live, the car you drive or the price tag on your clothes.
    Theres no dollar sign on piece of mind
    This Ive come to know...
    So if you agree have a drink with me, raise your glasses for a toast :beer:
  • Hazel2000
    Options
    Hi guys the saga is so ongoing you would not believe, hubby was told to put in an official complaint, he brought it in this morning and has been told if he puts it in they will sack the other brickie that he works with (only been there a few weeks) they are all getting put back in the squad with the trouble maker and basicly tuff s***. Hubby says he not putting complaint in as there is no way he could live with hiself getting a pal sacked 2 weeks before xmas they are now basicly hoping to get over the xmas period and leave for a new employer (obv not taking the trouble maker with them) hubby is a member of ucatt and has spoke to the rep and will call him again tonight to advise whats happening
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure