🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Preparing for Christmas 2011

Options

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    My plans to knit most presents this year are not going to happen as I have repetitive strain injury and it flares up every time I pick up the needles:mad:

However :D I have come up with some other frugally fiendish ideas instead.
    Just made some fudge for my Dad for Father's day and it turned out really nice.I just googled 'simple fudge recipe' as far as I can remember. If you make fudge and it's really crumbly, don't panic. I have found out that overnight, crumbly fudge changes it's texture and becomes lovely and chewy. So, fudge is on the Christmas 'presents' list

Two Dundee cakes will be baked at a time to save electricity, and given to other family members as gifts (and for us) and, hopefully there will be some jars of Home-made blackberry jam too.

Some fabric I was given was large enough to make an apron. I laid the fabric on top of an apron from the kitchen, cut round the original apron, and seamed the edges. That was scary :rotfl: but it was simple really. I just bought a little webbing to make the ties and neck of the apron. So, this present costs less than £4 in total and took a little over 15 mins to make :j

No more ideas yet, so I'm watching this thread and hoping to be inspired
  • candie_gill
    candie_gill Posts: 272 Forumite
    Options
    tootoo wrote: »
    Hello - a few have mentioned the vtech smile. My lo will be 2 at christmas, do you think it would be too old for her?
    The review says 4 yrs plus and not suitable for under 3's?!

Thank you

I did test this as i wondered the same myself, the recommended age is actually 3 years of age, i would say that is about right. Its not just games, they get basic activities on it too such as counting, painting, educational games etc... my LO will be 2 and half and i still got him it as i always buy toys that will be suitable for the year ahead so he has plenty to grow into during the year. He loves it too as he has new toys to get used to throughout the year.

If you do opt to get this, go to argos- you get two free games with it. I got handy manny and toy story game.
    Mummy of a beautiful little boy and fanatical about christmas :D:xmassmile:snow_laug:santa2:
  • candie_gill
    Options
    budgeteer wrote: »
    My plans to knit most presents this year are not going to happen as I have repetitive strain injury and it flares up every time I pick up the needles:mad:

However :D I have come up with some other frugally fiendish ideas instead.
    Just made some fudge for my Dad for Father's day and it turned out really nice.I just googled 'simple fudge recipe' as far as I can remember. If you make fudge and it's really crumbly, don't panic. I have found out that overnight, crumbly fudge changes it's texture and becomes lovely and chewy. So, fudge is on the Christmas 'presents' list

Two Dundee cakes will be baked at a time to save electricity, and given to other family members as gifts (and for us) and, hopefully there will be some jars of Home-made blackberry jam too.

Some fabric I was given was large enough to make an apron. I laid the fabric on top of an apron from the kitchen, cut round the original apron, and seamed the edges. That was scary :rotfl: but it was simple really. I just bought a little webbing to make the ties and neck of the apron. So, this present costs less than £4 in total and took a little over 15 mins to make :j

No more ideas yet, so I'm watching this thread and hoping to be inspired

Lovely idea making the fudge, is it expensive to do? :D
    Mummy of a beautiful little boy and fanatical about christmas :D:xmassmile:snow_laug:santa2:
  • carlamarie_2
    carlamarie_2 Posts: 1,038 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    tootoo wrote: »
    Hello - a few have mentioned the vtech smile. My lo will be 2 at christmas, do you think it would be too old for her?
    The review says 4 yrs plus and not suitable for under 3's?!

Thank you

not sure if the vsmile is the same as the vsmile motion? we have the motion and the games i mentioned on my last post are all age 3plus with the exception of scooby doo which is 4-7

a lot of the games are based on numbers/counting, letters/spelling and colours and i do think she will need a basic understanding of these.

my dd has only started taking an interest in it about 3 months ago, meaning wanting to go on it alot (shes not got much interest in computers generally), but she has been on it on occasions before this.she was 3 in feb and can do all the buttons/motions and understands all the tasks.

i suppose it depends on how advanced your dd is. my dd used the console at aged 2 as she was quite advanced for her age. my ds on the other hand was a 'normal' 2year old and i dont think he would have got the concept, even though we bought him it when he was 3, i think this was the right age for him.

hths
    Mummy to ds 29/12/06 dd 10/2/08 ds 25/5/11
    :Amy angel born too soon 18/11/12, always with me Emmie Faith:A

15 projects in 2015 10/15completed
  • tootoo
    tootoo Posts: 681 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Thank you carlamarie - will maybe see nearer christmas and decide.
    She is quite advanced with everything, but that doesn't mean she will necessarily take an interest!

Tootoo
    MFW.....Apr 33 Aim - Dec 26
  • candie_gill
    Options
    carlamarie wrote: »
    not sure if the vsmile is the same as the vsmile motion? we have the motion and the games i mentioned on my last post are all age 3plus with the exception of scooby doo which is 4-7

a lot of the games are based on numbers/counting, letters/spelling and colours and i do think she will need a basic understanding of these.

my dd has only started taking an interest in it about 3 months ago, meaning wanting to go on it alot (shes not got much interest in computers generally), but she has been on it on occasions before this.she was 3 in feb and can do all the buttons/motions and understands all the tasks.

i suppose it depends on how advanced your dd is. my dd used the console at aged 2 as she was quite advanced for her age. my ds on the other hand was a 'normal' 2year old and i dont think he would have got the concept, even though we bought him it when he was 3, i think this was the right age for him.

hths

its the same yes, i hope my LO loves his, going to write a list out what i have got him so far for xmas me thinks so i know where i stand. What does everyone else budget for each child? I know there is no right amount to spend but would be interesting to see as if you shop about i have noticed a parent could spend half that of another parent and get the same things!
  • carlamarie_2
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    last year we budgeted £150 each on the kids who at that time ds was almost 4 (on 29th dec) and dd almost 3.
    ds's main present was a ben10 bike which he wanted from the febuary and talked about it at least on a weekly basis! we waited and waited for a price reduction but the most we got off it was a tenner so it cost us £90. he then picked a couple of things that he really wanted (playmobil bin lorry and gator golf) which was both full price and the other presents was all bought in the sales. in total he had 16 presents from us.

dd's main presents was a dolls house (half price at £50) and a dolls pram (£30) when we asked her what she wanted for xmas she picked EVERYTHING but the only thing that she was 'desperate' for was pumpaloons which we bought at full price. again she got in total, 16 pressys and the rest were bought in sales.

this year the budget will prob be the same and as it stands, ds wants a nintendo ds and dd wants a new bike.
    we have a new baby (23days old) he willl be 7months at xmas and he will have the same money. but we will buy him a walker (may get it early though?)and probaly a couple of small toys and the rest will go into bank for him.

birthdays wise we tend to spend £50 on a present or two (always make a bigger deal for xmas) plus a day out.

• carlamarie_2
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    im going to pop my xmas list and budget on here if noone minds and any ideas for gifts would be great too! Those in red as who dh pays for and blue comments are ideas i already have

DH AGED 33- £100-£150 poss spend £20-30 of this making up a gardening hamper
    DS1 AGED 4/5 (BDAY IS 29THDEC)- £150
    DD AGED 3 - £150
    DS2 AGED 7MONTHS -£150 thinking a walker plus couple of toys n money in bank

MUM 52 - £30-40
    DAD 52 - £20
    STEPDAD 50 - £20 gardening hamper
    DADS GF 45 - box of chocs
    NANNA C 87 - £10
    NANNA P 81 - £10
    BEST FRIEND 26 - £20-30

NIECE 17 - £20 cd or 2?
    NEPHEW 14 - £20cd or 2?
    LIL BROTHER 13 - £20cd or 2?
    NIECES BF 17 - some sort of sweets
    BF LIL GIRL 7 - £20
    NEPHEW 4 - £20
    NEICE 9MONTHS - £20

MIL 61- £30-40 always make her a milka choc hamper which comes in around £10-£15
    FIL 62 - £30 - 40 always buy him a big box of bassetts liqourice sticks about £14

i am saving my boots points and hoping to get as near as poss to £100 for either something big for dh, my smaller niece and nephews presents or saving until jan sales for next year. i only have £20 on there now but as im buying nappies and wipes again, from experience they soon add up!

also started getting stamps from morrisons, again im aiming for £100 (im rounding my shopping off to the nearest £5 and buying the difference in stamps) to buy cds for my lil bro and older niece and nephew, possibly a comp game for dh or some new table things for xmas (table cloth, charger plates etc) only have £12 so far BUT i havent been for 4weeks (usually go every week) only stated collecting them 3 weeks before that

also my tesco points im going to save, hopefully they will have another double up voucher exchange in the run up to xmas. i have £8 so far but should be able to get it to £15 before november - which would be £30, for whatever!

• candie_gill
    Options
    We spend £300 on my LO for xmas and birthday he has had about £200 aswell as a party. Hope no one judges me for spending that much, i dont compete with others and hes not a brat nor does he act spoilt. Hes very greatful for every toy he receives and it would seem his favourites are always the cheapies from £1shop!

Someone mentioned prams, my local £1stretcher in Hull had the silvercross kids toy pram reduced to £10 from £40..
  • candie_gill
    Options
    Here is my list so far for my LO, got quite a bit in already so im pleased- hopefully the last of his money can go on clothes as last year he had way too many toys.

* Penguin PJS- reduced to £2.79 (xmas eve hamper)
    * Paint a puzzle Xmas Craft kit- Reduced to 50p in sales (xmas eve hamper)
    * Antlers- Reduced 50p (xmas eve hamper)
    * Snowman Soap- reduced to 20p (xmas eve hamper)
    * Waybaloo Slippers- £6 (xmas eve hamper)
    * Handy Manny Xmas Dvd- Free from disney movie points (xmas eve hamper)
    * Candy Cane -21p per full box in sales, 2012 date too (xmas eve hamper)

I do like to keep his hamper as basic as possible as im very traditional about presents only been opened on xmas day, i plan to add a nice cup with snow man soup in aswell as reindeer dust, new socks, a new toothbrush, and cookie baking kit.

Presents so far:

* Peppa pig doctors pretend play kit- £7.99
    * Moon Dough- £9
    * Peppa Pig kitchen set £15
    * Toy story book £1
    * Nemo book £1
    * Cars book £1
    * Timmy time flash cards 59p
    * Ben & Hollys little kingdom dominos £6
    * Bob the builder took kit £8
    * Peppa pig puzzle £6
    * Disney toy story dough kit £3
    * Googley eyes book £1
    * Thomas bike £40
    * Thunderdome racing track £15
    * Macca pacca book 50p
    * budz pretend took kit- £6
    * Little einsteins dvd £3
    * Handy manny dvd- free from disney magic points
    * Thomas dvd- £5
    * Disney princess & the frog dvd £7.50
    * Disney Alice in wonderland £7.50
    * Peppa pig Dvd £3
    * Busby reading system £14
    * VTECH smile console £40

For his stocking i have:

* Giant santa pen- 5op in sales
    * Crayola washable markers -£1.25
    * Small sponge Globe (free)

Oh and got a pen for OH stocking i got free online, thats it all so far!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 7 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.6K Travel & Transport