Preparing for Christmas 2011

Options
I know it's already almost June and many of you are all set for this years Jolly Holly Christmas :rotfl:, but I can't see a thread for those, like me, who are lagging a bit behind on our planning.

I am opting for a Christmas that is frugal, fun and meaningful - rather than 'stuff' driven, and hoping to think in terms of some kind of budget and general menu plans now.

For instance, I'd like to practice a bit of fudge-making, cake-baking etc which can be made as gifts for others as well as for ourselves. Can I find some new to us family games in the CS. No youngsters in our family now, but we still love the games:D

PS I apologise in advance to all those peeps who HATE this kind of thread.
VERY sorry too, if there is already a thread for Christmas 2011, but it didn't come up on a search

Comments

• lushlifesaver
    lushlifesaver Posts: 2,375 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I was just thinking about Christmas this morning actually. Mainly thinking that I should get a move on whilst I still can and get some stuff made and in to the freezer as it is now painfully low as well as putting some money by and beginning my gift lists.
    I live at home with my parents so I'm quite lucky in that I have time and resources to put in to family time like Christmas as the others aren't in to the whole planning/decorating excitement whereas it's one of my favourite times of the year!
    I'm aiming to make Christmas as cost neutral as possible this year so have been saving loyalty points and now that I've had to cancel my (working) summer in America I am going to put some of the money I had saved for that and a little of the insurance money once it comes in towards making this year amazing =)
    Daughter born 26/03/14
    Son born 13/02/21
  • chella71
    chella71 Posts: 111 Forumite
    edited 30 May 2011 at 4:19PM
    Options
    :o:eek::o:eek:
    Golly think I might have to go and hide under the bed!!

P.s. if I could just sneak back and nibble a little fudge occasionally :rotfl:

Chella x
    Fan of Money Saving OS :j
    First mortgage 94,639.49
    Second mortgage £38,133.49 making overpayments of £75 per month from November '10 :T
  • pompeyfaith
    pompeyfaith Posts: 536 Forumite
    Options
    Planning for Xmas leave it out lol November is quiet soon enough.
  • CH27
    CH27 Posts: 5,531 Forumite
    Options
    :eek:
    It's not even June.

I've got £200 squirreled away towards it already:rotfl:
    Try to be a rainbow in someone's cloud.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Planning for Xmas leave it out lol November is quiet soon enough.

Now, Now. This is why there is an apology in my PS. You either love it or hate it. But for those who love it, it's never too early to prepare :j
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    CH27 wrote: »
    :eek:
    It's not even June.

I've got £200 squirreled away towards it already:rotfl:

You've been a good little squirrel :D
  • aplaceinthesun
    Options
    Thanks for starting this, within the last hour we have been talking about how soon christmas will creep up. Am hoping for some ideas and inspiration from joining in with you all and hope to make it as nice, but as frugal as possible, this year!
  • sammy_kaye18
    sammy_kaye18 Posts: 3,675 Forumite
    Homepage Hero Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Bizarrely Im another one who was making lists this morning adn thinking about Christmas.

I have already logged a list on the computer about who I have to buy for. Im hoping though to try and make a few bits and pieces this christmas though as now I have a new addition in the form of my (presently) 10 month old daughter - she was only 5 months last Xmas so didnt really get it but this year she will be a bit more alert as to whats going on.

Along with the added bonus that we have just managed to get ourself into a 3 bedroomed council house which is beautiful compared to the council flat we were living in so I'm excited to try and get that decorated too! so have been browsing on ebay etc for a few bits and pieces.

Im looking forward to joining in here. Hoping my making can get underway as realistically I cant shop until after the summer holidays now as my little boy is 7 and very clued into whats going on! so for now I may get him to sit down and make a few bits with me in the holidays but I think a lot of fore planning is key for em at the minute and looking for ideas.

Hoping this can be a relatively cheap christmas without losing any of the magic

x x x x x x x x
    Making Changes To Save My Life
    Current weightloss - 2lbs (week 1)
  • CH27
    CH27 Posts: 5,531 Forumite
    Options
    budgeteer wrote: »
    You've been a good little squirrel :D

I intend to keep squirreling :rotfl:
    Try to be a rainbow in someone's cloud.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Bizarrely Im another one who was making lists this morning adn thinking about Christmas.

I have already logged a list on the computer about who I have to buy for. Im hoping though to try and make a few bits and pieces this christmas though as now I have a new addition in the form of my (presently) 10 month old daughter - she was only 5 months last Xmas so didnt really get it but this year she will be a bit more alert as to whats going on.

Along with the added bonus that we have just managed to get ourself into a 3 bedroomed council house which is beautiful compared to the council flat we were living in so I'm excited to try and get that decorated too! so have been browsing on ebay etc for a few bits and pieces.

Im looking forward to joining in here. Hoping my making can get underway as realistically I cant shop until after the summer holidays now as my little boy is 7 and very clued into whats going on! so for now I may get him to sit down and make a few bits with me in the holidays but I think a lot of fore planning is key for em at the minute and looking for ideas.

Hoping this can be a relatively cheap christmas without losing any of the magic

x x x x x x x x
    Many congratulations on your new house:T
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family