We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

Is this another reason why we should grow our own?

Options
COOLTRIKERCHICK
COOLTRIKERCHICK Posts: 10,510 Forumite
Combo Breaker First Post
just found this

http://www.elpais.com/articulo/english/Contaminated/cucumbers/cause/deaths/in/Germany/elpepueng/20110526elpeng_6/Ten

is this another good reason why we should grow our own?

maybe this is another reason if we can not grow our own, then buy local 'in season' produce...
Work to live= not live to work

Comments

• Lotus-eater
    Lotus-eater Posts: 10,789 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Not on the face of it tbh, depends. Why were the cucumbers contaminated, that's what I want to know?
    Freedom is not worth having if it does not include the freedom to make mistakes.
  • MrsAtobe
    MrsAtobe Posts: 1,404 Forumite
    Options
    Spain has some interesting ideas about fertiliser. Not sure if this is what has happened here, but I always wash Spanish/Canarian produce very well.
    Good enough is good enough, and I am more than good enough!:j

If all else fails, remember, keep calm and hug a spaniel!
  • Lotus-eater
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    What you mean poo? I wondered that.
    Freedom is not worth having if it does not include the freedom to make mistakes.
  • cootambear
    cootambear Posts: 1,474 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    just found this

http://www.elpais.com/articulo/english/Contaminated/cucumbers/cause/deaths/in/Germany/elpepueng/20110526elpeng_6/Ten

is this another good reason why we should grow our own?

maybe this is another reason if we can not grow our own, then buy local 'in season' produce...

possibly caused by the use of `organic` fertilisers like cow or horse dung which can contain pathogens like Ecoli. Horse manure often contains worming chemicals too which are very unhealthy for humans.

If you are concerned then you can use safer chemicals like leaf mould and store bought fertilisers.
    Freedom is the freedom to say that 2+2 = 4 (George Orwell, 1984).

(I desire) ‘a great production that will supply all, and more than all the people can consume’,

(Sylvia Pankhurst).
  • pinkcandyflossprincess
    Options
    MrsAtobe wrote: »
    Spain has some interesting ideas about fertiliser. Not sure if this is what has happened here, but I always wash Spanish/Canarian produce very well.

i lived in lanzarote for 6 weeks a year ago and bought loads of veg and fruit - thankfully we are all alive:eek:
    more annoying is the fact they walk blatently in front of you in supermarket , totally aware that you are queing to have your veg tagged too- 6 weeks of it gets very annoying:mad:
    ***MSE...My.Special.Escape***
  • MrsAtobe
    MrsAtobe Posts: 1,404 Forumite
    Options
    Lotus-eater, I've just found out that 'human manure' is the correct term:D
    Good enough is good enough, and I am more than good enough!:j

If all else fails, remember, keep calm and hug a spaniel!
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 12,492 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    yes. Family and all their workers use the hole in the ground and then it is just shovelled around the growing veg. I expect this is what happened
  • Lotus-eater
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    MrsAtobe wrote: »
    Lotus-eater, I've just found out that 'human manure' is the correct term:D
    Yes, humanure :D That's a good book btw. worth reading even if you don't fancy doing it yourself.
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Humanure-Handbook-Guide-Composting-Manure/dp/0964425831/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1306655567&sr=8-1
  • COOLTRIKERCHICK
    COOLTRIKERCHICK Posts: 10,510 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Seems as though they just dont know where its coming from?

Russia has now stopped all imports of fruit and veg from Europe

Ok.... slight off thread... but still topic related...

Is there health Benefit from eating locally produced food?

I know people with pollen allergies/hayfever etc they recommend having locally produced honey to try and help the symptoms...and reports say this does work/help

back to the topic...

there are approx 1700 cases now which sadly 18 people died from this...wonder if its just a sicko...who has got a grudge, and is contaminating the food?...

This has really highlighted how vunrable we are in reality when it comes to our food....
    Work to live= not live to work
  • Lotus-eater
    First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 4 June 2011 at 11:02AM
    Options
    Is there health Benefit from eating locally produced food?

I know people with pollen allergies/hayfever etc they recommend having locally produced honey to try and help the symptoms...and reports say this does work/help

back to the topic...

there are approx 1700 cases now which sadly 18 people died from this...wonder if its just a sicko...who has got a grudge, and is contaminating the food?...

This has really highlighted how vunrable we are in reality when it comes to our food....
    We don't really know anything about the outbreak yet, I'm sure we'll find out in the future.
    We're very vulnerable, because most of our foods come from huge industrial growing areas. On the other hand, because of this, the growing area is very highly checked for disease and clean.
    If one place gets infected, it's a pretty easy job to get our stuff from somewhere else. The price may go up a bit of course.
    The only way in which I can see we are very vulnerable, is that our network of food relies on heavy transport. Take away that for any reason and we're staving.

Locally produced food? Depends how it's grown I suppose. If you have a cucumber grown in a greenhouse in sterile conditions as fast as they can, with the perfect nutrients and soil less growing mediums, then it's going to be just as good for you whether it's grown down the road, or the other side of the world. As both will reach your shops at the same time after being cut (virtually). Not true with all crops btw.
    That is, not very good for you...... more efforts seem to be showing that commercially produced vegetables seem to have less vitamins and minerals than home grown ones. And the more industrially they are grown, the less good they are for you.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure