Options
2»

Comments

• googler
    googler Posts: 16,103 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Find make and model of fan

Consult manufacturer's website, their manual (possibly on the website, or ask the manufacturer how to adjust the delay.

OR

Get a sparkie to install a pull switch to disable it on the occasions when you want to do so, and to enable it when you shower
  • ic
    ic Posts: 3,293 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    McKneff wrote: »
    Apart from anything else the cost must be horrendous over the year especially when you really dont need a fan going when just having a
    wee.
    Hardly - these fans are typically 20W to 35W depending on their extraction rate.

Best option is either to install a separate switch to control the fan independently of the light, and/or get a humidistat fan. However, if this ensuite doesn't have any other means of ventilation, a humidistat isn't going to do much for the toilet user...

Take a look at the Airflow Icon series - their humidistat option also comes with a pull cord. If this is then installed without connecting the light input, then the fan will only come on if the pullcord is pulled (for a fixed period before automatically switching off again) or the humidistat decides the room is steamy and needs to be cleared (only turning off when the humidity is low again).
  • VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Absolutely wrote: »
    So, if I just go to the bathroom for a pee in the middle of the night and put the light on, then get back in my bed, the blooming fan runs for 5 minutes

I have trained myself to pee in the dark, and standing up (I'm a laydee btw). It's a key lifeskill after all.
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • Mankysteve
    Mankysteve Posts: 4,257 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 28 May 2011 at 7:01PM
    Options
    asbokid wrote: »
    do you plan to get very sweaty with your missus, mankysteve?

Lol dirty minded so and so I'm not saying anything. The main reason its that her bathroom is connected to bedroom.
  • Absolutely
    Absolutely Posts: 500 Forumite
    Options
    googler wrote: »
    Find make and model of fan

Consult manufacturer's website, their manual (possibly on the website, or ask the manufacturer how to adjust the delay.

OR

Get a sparkie to install a pull switch to disable it on the occasions when you want to do so, and to enable it when you shower

Never thought of looking up the manual. Ta.

Lots of feedback. Thanks all!
  • bigfreddiel
    bigfreddiel Posts: 4,263 Forumite
    Options
    Absolutely wrote: »
    Hi all

Another thread on here made about bathroom extractor fans made me wonder...

My en-suite has a pull switch for the light, which then automatically turns the extractor fan on. The fan runs for 5 minutes after I pull again to turn the light switch off.

So, if I just go to the bathroom for a pee in the middle of the night and put the light on, then get back in my bed, the blooming fan runs for 5 minutes. Is there any way to alter this? It really bugs me!
    get a torch- keepit by the bed
  • keystone
    keystone Posts: 10,916 Forumite
    Options
    Mankysteve wrote: »
    I think This will have to be done when i Move in with the misses.
    :eek::eek: How many of them are there?

Cheers
    The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's limits. - Einstein
  • macman
    macman Posts: 53,098 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Another vote for the Airflow Icon-I have fitted 2, both with humidistats.
    The vent closing mechanism is rather cunning and quite hypnotic to watch...I really must get out more...
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
  • wattywattwatt
    Options
    I had the same problem, my fan runs for twenty minutes after I switch it off but I wouldn't have it any other way as it's made a huge improvement to my condensation problems ( I can't leave the window open at all times as it's on the ground floor). Anyway, last week I was in IKEA and picked up a pack of two motion sensor night lights which come on when anyone walks by. They are battery operated and I leave them facing into the wall during the day to preserve the batteries and just turn them to face out when I go to bed at night, they don't give out a great deal of light, just enough to pee by!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure