Length of time an extractor fan runs

Options
Hi all

Another thread on here made about bathroom extractor fans made me wonder...

My en-suite has a pull switch for the light, which then automatically turns the extractor fan on. The fan runs for 5 minutes after I pull again to turn the light switch off.

So, if I just go to the bathroom for a pee in the middle of the night and put the light on, then get back in my bed, the blooming fan runs for 5 minutes. Is there any way to alter this? It really bugs me!

Comments

• McKneff
    McKneff Posts: 38,830 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    It was for exactly that reason that i got a fan fitted that had an isolation switch in a cupboard in the bathroom.
    Not sure that you can do anything about it apart ffrom peeing in the dark or getting a little night light outside the door of the en suite

Apart from anything else the cost must be horrendous over the year especially when you really dont need a fan going when just having a
    wee.
    make the most of it, we are only here for the weekend.
    and we will never, ever return.
  • Absolutely
    Absolutely Posts: 500 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks

I don't REALLY need the light on to have a pee, but I live on my own (apart from 3 young kids) and I have an over-active imagination so I like the light on when I go to the bathroom ........ just to check there are no murderers or demons, or my ex in there :rotfl:

The nightlight thing might work though as there is a plug socket very near my en-suite door. Thanks.
  • CLAPTON
    CLAPTON Posts: 41,865 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    put a separate pull switch for the fan

depending upon the general ventilation in the ensuite, after a shower you need run the fan for at least an hour
  • McKneff
    McKneff Posts: 38,830 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    CLAPTON wrote: »
    put a separate pull switch for the fan

depending upon the general ventilation in the ensuite, after a shower you need run the fan for at least an hour

Hi Clapton.

I have recently found that if I use a squeegee on the shower door and round the tiles the bathroom doesnt take half the time to dry out.
    make the most of it, we are only here for the weekend.
    and we will never, ever return.
  • CashisKing
    CashisKing Posts: 93 Forumite
    Options
    yes it is easy to adjust.
    Make sure the electricity is off, open the front of the fan usually just 2 screws and you will see a little dial to adjust the time
  • asbokid
    asbokid Posts: 2,008 Forumite
    edited 28 May 2011 at 1:39AM
    Options
    could you take out the bulb as a disincentive to turning on the light? Alternatively, when you go to bed, maybe you could poke a pencil between the fan blades to stop them from spinning and annoying you when you do turn the light on?
  • Mankysteve
    Mankysteve Posts: 4,257 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Use a humidistat. Set it too only come when the moisture content of the room is high simples. I think This will have to be done when i Move in with the misses.
  • asbokid
    asbokid Posts: 2,008 Forumite
    Options
    Mankysteve wrote: »
    Use a humidistat. Set it too only come when the moisture content of the room is high simples. I think This will have to be done when i Move in with the misses.

do you plan to get very sweaty with your missus, mankysteve?
  • Mojisola
    Mojisola Posts: 35,557 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Mankysteve wrote: »

We've got a fan that comes on when the humidity reaches a certain level. Works really well. It has a pull string manual over-ride so you can switch it on at other times if necessary.
  • thescouselander
    thescouselander Posts: 5,542 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    asbokid wrote: »
    could you take out the bulb as a disincentive to turning on the light? Alternatively, when you go to bed, maybe you could poke a pencil between the fan blades to stop them from spinning and annoying you when you do turn the light on?

Seriously, not a good idea at all. Stalled electric motors can draw high currents burning out the windings and potentially causing a fire hazard.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure