Real Life MMD: Should I speak to the boss?

edited 31 May 2011 at 1:08PM in Money Saving Polls
42 replies 18.8K views

Replies

• Of course you should tell your boss because s/he may have just not been taking that much notice. Plus if you've helped make business better then surely you're on your way to a big fat BONUS! :D
  • A.JonesA.Jones Forumite
    508 Posts
    Surely the boss looks at the takings at some stage and will notice, at least if (s)he has any business sense. If you are cashing up and the others are not, then I presume you are in when others are not. So why not let the boss know then.
  • PeePee Forumite
    3.8K Posts
    By all means mention your thoughts to your boss, and see what sort of response you get. I imagine that this is something that your boss has considered. If not, if you really think this hasn't crossed their mind, then I would think about looking for another job / start saving to buy the business when your boss goes under, as that will be what happens. Noone minds constructive thoughtful imput about their business, everyone minds someone who acts like a knowall. It's all a mater of how you come across.
  • I can understand your dilemma, but if your employer isn't making money then in a very short time none of you will have a job...perhaps they need a reality check regarding the cost of running a profitable small business....and who knows, if you tackle him/ her about it now it there may be time to turn it around and that will secure all your jobs for the future
  • Augustus_the_StrongAugustus_the_Strong Forumite
    317 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    nicotg wrote: »
    You seem to be a lot more enterprising than your boss, why don't you open your own shop online & later an outlet nearby so you can take on the customers when he goes bust.

Good idea.

In the meantime, tell your boss and try and get sales moving. Underpriced or overpriced? The right price is what people will pay. If they're not buying anyway, why not put the prices up so that if you do sell anything, at least you get a bit more for it. Maybe you need to change the products.

And look for a new job - losing your job doesn't sound much worse than working and not getting paid, does it?
  • Why would you not tell the boss? Seriously, someone provide one justifiable reason.

Sack you - for what? Trying to help the business? Being pro-active? As long as you don't speak to him like he is a muppet, then go for it.

Sack others - really? He knows whether he can afford to employ people or not, better than you. Why would pointing out this issue put anyone at further risk than they already are?

Whoever says "Mind your own business" are probably the type of people who have worked at Fords, Woolworths et al and kept their mouth shut there as well! I would not want employees like those, who clearly do not give a monkeys about the business they work for.

As several others have pointed out, telling your boss could do you a favour. Initiative is not always easy to find in people - just read some of this thread and you'll see my point!:(
  • relaxtwotribesrelaxtwotribes Forumite
    335 Posts
    ✭✭
    "...the owner isn't managing to pay staff their wages" What, not 75% of wages, or 50%? Tell me he is at least paying 25%. No? Not a penny?
    Then ask yourself, if he can't pay any wages now, by how much do you think the shop's takings will need to rise in order to be able to pay the staff their wages (let alone the backpay). Say his weekly wage bill is £500, then he will need takings to increase by at least £1,200 per week to cover it (on an assumed gross profit margin of 50%). You know what the takings are, so you can judge the likelihood of business picking up to that level.
    And that is just to pay the wages. Who knows if the rates, rent, insurance, gas, electricity and phonebills are being paid?
  • pretzelnutpretzelnut Forumite
    4.3K Posts
    Not everyone who starts a business has a clue as to what they are doing, many businesses go bust due to incompetent bosses who havent really looked at the figures, foot flow etc to well.

i suggest you speak to your boss, give him any ideas he may have.

You are on the front line, and deal with the customers everyday and he may welcome the feedback, as he may be stuck behind the scenes.

You have nothing to loose. I'd see it that you were trying to push the business forward. Not many staff would use their initiative and stick their head on the line, they'd just do the bare minimum because they don't get paid to think.

As your a part timer, im asuuming your not their all day, there may be a mid day bank run to deposit funds taken earlier.
    He may turn round and say ''it's ok business is always slow in the 1st few months but I have funds in reserve to cover this period, thank you for showing your concern, now about that idea you had for........''
    :TIs thankful to those who have shared their :T
    :T fortune with those less fortunate :T
    :T than themselves - you know who you are!:T
  • bogwart wrote: »
    With respect, I think you're sticking your beak in where it doesn't belong. You've been a part-time worker at a new business for all of two months and already you've decided that you know better than the owner. Do you not think s/he has not already considered such matters as pricing, especially when the whole thing goes sideways? There is no upside in this for you. Either the shop will go bust or it won't, and you have nothing to gain either way. The business was obviously under-financed at the outset and if I were you I'd be looking for alternative employment.
    I totally agree. Incidentally, why are the people who are not being paid still there ?
  • SheepsterSheepster Forumite
    118 Posts
    Sounds like the "others" who don't think so are the usual muppets you get in every company - just because they have been there a bit longer, they think they are something special.

So often it takes a newcomer to see the bigger picture. Now in the sort of rural business you have, maybe your suggestion would be sneered at and ignored - but you are the one with enterprise, who will land on your feet when this failing business eventually goes belly-up.

As for the patronising poster who put about you keep serving behind the counter and listen to the ones with more experience - grief! Some people just have no idea at all
This discussion has been closed.
LATEST NEWS AND GUIDES

Balance transfer credit cards

Shift existing card debt to 0% interest for up to 31 months

MSE Guides