Real Life MMD: Should I speak to the boss?

edited 31 May 2011 at 1:08PM in Money Saving Polls
42 replies 18.8K views

Replies

• JoannaS_3JoannaS_3 Forumite
    103 Posts
    tallgirld wrote: »
    I think you should mind your own business.

If you talk to you boss YOU will probably be the one to lose your job. Why you might ask? I tell you why because he will think you are full of yourself and a busy body.

If the company goes bust what difference does it make? He isn't paying the wages anyway!!

Wow another really helpful one!!!! Full of yourself and a busy body for trying to help them make a profit?! Have you gone mad?! When was looking after your bosses interests a sackable offence?! With an employee like you, who needs competitors?! Sheesh!!!!!
    Debt owed £4000, Saved (to pay back) £300, only £3,700 to go!!

My best money saving tip: Good manners cost NOTHING! So please be nice to each other! :happylove
  • CimscateCimscate Forumite
    145 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Combo Breaker
    Quite honestly if the business has only been open 2 months and the boss can't pay your wages I don't know why you are still working there. It is obviously underfunded and I should think the only help he would want is for you to invest so he can keep open for longer. He must be an amazing person to have all these people working for him and not getting paid. I can't see that repricing will make much difference; his whole business plan must be seriously flawed. And yes, I have run my own business so do know what I am talking about!
  • pippinpusspippinpuss Forumite
    98 Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    Quite often a new business has deliberately low prices to entice customers in. Then put them up when the shop is known in the area. I wouldn't worry unless the takings haven't increased in 6 months
  • woolly_wombatwoolly_wombat Forumite
    741 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts
    ✭✭
    ".... as I frequently close up at the end of the day I have an idea how much we take...

I think we underprice lots of our gifts, but others disagree...."

New shops spring up from time to time and you get to realise after a while which ones won't survive because the owner hasn't done their research.

When you speak to the owner be sure to back up what you have to say with concrete evidence of underpricing. Be polite, not pushy.

Be aware that whilst you may well be correct, what you have to say could well be ignored, in which case keep up the good work whilst planning your next job.:A

Good luck!
  • joehooverjoehoover Forumite
    146 Posts
    100 Posts
    Some people here are missing the point, even if someone has been in a job longer does not equate to them knowing better. I've had co-workers for over 10 years and some of them are terrible, they do the minimum required and coast along. Nothing can be done as they don't technically do anything wrong, they just don't show initiative or enthusiasm to help push the business forwards, they are also the ones who moan about their work. Whereas everyone else who gets stuck in and makes more effort are rewarded with better bonuses and greater job satisfaction.

I would rather work with people who are ambitious and moving towards the same goals so the company can be a success rather than people just pocketing their pay.

A new person can also bring fresh eyes and their own experience from previous employment. What's to say the way you do things is correct because you've always done it that way. Companies should have the scope to adapt and change to a difficult market.
  • Marco12452Marco12452 Forumite
    178 Posts
    Any boss worth their salt would be pleased to have constructive input.
    You are risking jobs by not speaking out.
  • nhampsonnhampson Forumite
    133 Posts
    I would welcome input if I were the boss. I would rather have someone say something which was wrong rather than say nothing and it would save the business. Wages may not be being paid but the owner will lose far more.

As other have said you should do some research and find some examples you can use before you speak to him. Think what questions are likely to be asked to you in return and be ready for them.

Firstly be sure that the underpricing is the issue. I would rather make £1 profit per item if it meant a thousand a day were sold rather than a £10 and sell ten. Maybe prices are more competitive as the location/footfall isnt as good and the lower prices are an enticement.
    Opinions are like a**holes, everyone has one.
  • golddustmediagolddustmedia Forumite
    834 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    YES!
    Definately tell the boss. If the boss hasn't realised it already he'll be grateful to know before it's too late and may even acknowledge the insight shown, presumeably there may be future promotion to shop manager for a good employee?

If the boss took this in a bad way at all, well then you'd have to question if you want to keep working there as sooner or later the business would likely fold.
  • nicotgnicotg Forumite
    2 Posts
    You seem to be a lot more enterprising than your boss, why don't you open your own shop online & later an outlet nearby so you can take on the customers when he goes bust.
  • kneelbeforezodkneelbeforezod Forumite
    44 Posts
    Tenth Anniversary Combo Breaker
    YES!
    Definately tell the boss. If the boss hasn't realised it already he'll be grateful to know before it's too late and may even acknowledge the insight shown, presumeably there may be future promotion to shop manager for a good employee?

If the boss took this in a bad way at all, well then you'd have to question if you want to keep working there as sooner or later the business would likely fold.

This :money:

Breaking it down -
    What's the worst that can happen if you say anything? The boss takes offence and you lose your job.
    What's the worst that can happen if you don't say anything? The business fails and you lose your job anyway :(

Since you cash up you will have accurate knowledge of takings and you'll probably know the outgoings too. As someone else said earlier, research competitors' prices. Also, why not consider other ways of bringing customers through the door or expanding into more profitable income streams. If you're in a touristy area, maybe a tea & coffee counter? Tour guide service?
This discussion has been closed.
Latest News and Guides

Best student bank accounts 2021/22

Incl. free 0% overdrafts and railcards

MSE Guide

Next 50% off sale rumour

Here's what we've found...

MSE Deals