How are we all doing?

Options
Hi everyone :santa2:

Just wondered how are all doing. I got quite a bit done today so feel a bit better. I got the trimmings up and have written my Christmas cards (found I bought 29 boxes of Christmas cards in the sales.. oops :o ). I still have quite a bit to do and have a busy week in work ahead so have to get organised.

I thought perhaps like on the OS board we could have a diary to encourage and motivate each other to get these final bits done.

Anyone want to join in? Or are you all super organised and its just me flapping around :D

My goals for this week

1. Wrap presents
2. Do a food list for buffet for Boxing day and divide up between relations what I want them to bring
3. Post or hand deliver Christmas cards
4. Buy the special family cards
5. I need to take a couple of things back that I changed my mind over
6. Return library books and bank some cheques
7. Get those last couple of small presents

Heres to a good week :beer:

Comments

• Frogling
    Frogling Posts: 1,219 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi Zippy - no, you're definitely not on your own, I'm doing a fair bit of flapping around myself lol!

I spent hours making lovely Christmas cards last week, only to finally move everything off the top of my blanket box today and find - lo and behold - 14 boxes of Christmas cards I had bought in the sales last year. So, not as many as you, but definitely more than I need for this year and the next! Felt momentarily ashamed at having spent money on buying all the bits to make my own cards, but then figured what the heck, they look great and I had fun doing them. Plus, Christmas cards never go out of fashion, do they? I'll just have to remember I've got all of those boxes next year (and not buy any more in the sales this time round :o)

I have started wrapping pressies, but still have quite a way to go to finish off. Yesterday I discovered that a little set of Art Drawers we bought for DD2 at Toys R Us are cracked down the side (I took them out of the box to fill them with felt-tips, etc). I bought them at the end of October, so I hope Toys R Us will be okay about exchanging them after all this time. My biggest worry is getting out of there without spending any more money. Plus, they have a Hobbycraft right next door, so spare a thought for me and my purse on Wednesday morning!

I too must get around to posting my cards - must buy more stamps too.

Food list is a great idea - I haven't got around to that yet. I think I will make that my task for the afternoon.

I also need to find a couple more baskets to turn into hampers, and then get all of my hampers made up. I keep finding things to add to them, so the sooner I get them all cellophaned up the better, otherwise they will end up costing me more than I had originally intended.

Tuesday is my most important day this week - we are going to watch DD1 perform in the school Christmas show. She's in the Reception class, and they are all dressing up as angels AZZANGEL.gif and singing a song. I'm so excited, it brings tears to my eyes just thinking about it. How sad am I lol!
  • wearside_2
    wearside_2 Posts: 1,508 Forumite
    Cashback Cashier
    Options
    We have put our tree up in our Florida home for the first time today and begun to open our Christmas Cards! :D

At least all the presents have been sorted, as they are in the Uk for our son to deliver for us:D

We are trying to get our heads round the stores playing carols when we are walking round in shorts and tee shirts:confused:
    To Dare is To Do:beer:
  • computerwoman
    Options
    :xmastree:Hi all I was on another thread the other day and everyone was showing off there trees so it's got me going and everythings got done today I can't imagine christmas in a hot chimate must be abit odd for you but think of the pound against the dollar it's cheaper living over there always wanted to visit america I'm very pro-america, and have brought my son up the same way almost went over there in 1981 to stay and work but my folks were dead against it have regreted it ever since, anyway I started early this year I went shopping at the end of october and got all the pressies and just need to do a shop on tesco's online and I'm done, happy holidays everyone.:rudolf:

Pls be nice to all MSer's
    There's no such thing as a stupid question, and even if you disagree courtesy helps.
    Tomorrow never come's as today is yesterday and tomorrow is today:confused:

MERRY CHRISTMAS FELLOW MSer's:xmastree:
  • D&DD
    D&DD Posts: 4,405 Forumite
    Options
    Hey Zippy :D Well I'm flapping about in one big mess at the moment so much for my 'Next year I'll be organised' mantra I always say..each year I get worse!!!
    I have pressies stashed in every nook and cranny imaginable but have yet to get time to even see what I've got let alone wrap anything..
    Had at least one DS home ill everyday for the last three weeks so even the Elves boxes are bare :eek: much to the youngests disgust..(thankfully he's easily fooled by the Elves have got a tummy bug too routine :rolleyes: )
    OH is on nights which is actually bliss (shhhhh) but have him under my feet then all day and he just doesn't 'do' xmas well..
    So all in all I'm in the :eek: at the moment but hoping to get back on track from tomorrow as will the Elves...
  • *zippy*
    *zippy* Posts: 2,979 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Glad i'm not the only one :D

Its been a while since I went to a nativity as my DD's school doesn't do them when they go into juniors, but in her last one she had the star part (teacher said it was because she had the loudest voice :rotfl: ) It really makes Christmas special, hope you have a lovely evening, don't forget your hankies ;)
  • computerwoman
    Options
    :xmastree:this is a relly good thread thanks zippy

Pls be nice to all MSer's
    There's no such thing as a stupid question, and even if you disagree courtesy helps.
    Tomorrow never come's as today is yesterday and tomorrow is today:confused:

MERRY CHRISTMAS FELLOW MSer's:xmastree:
  • piglet6
    piglet6 Posts: 1,532 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi, Zippy - thanks for starting this thread...it could be just what I need to kick me into gear for the last push to the finish line!! :rolleyes:

This week I must:

- post the Christmas cards I wrote this weekend (includes buying more 2nd class stamps, as I ran out...:j)
    - post a Christmas parcel to Germany (I am particularly bad about this every year, as all the stress of getting it under 2kg and fitting it into a box takes over from the enjoyment of sending it!). It normally takes 2 parcels (we send to a family of 8, so there are lots of pressies involved!) and last year I ended up just giving in and sending one huge parcel (which weighed loads and cost even more - not very MSE!!). I have had all the pressies bought for the last 2 weeks - just need to wrap and pack them and make it to the PO... :o
    - Wrap all pressies for Mr P's side of the family to take up to Mr P's parents next weekend - everything is bought; just needs wrapping. Includes Uncle's b'day presents for Christmas Eve birthday (wrapped those this evening, so feeling quite smug! :p).
    - Write rest of cards.
    - Wrap b'day pressies (2) and Christmas pressies (7) which need to be taken to the PO for various children of friends/family and sent off in time for the relevant big days... :D
    - Buy 2 gifts for 2 couples (1 per couple)
    - Buy 3 part-gifts for 3 different people (have ideas for 1 but need inspiration for the other 2... :confused: )
    - Wrap other outstanding pressies
    - Finalise menus for Christmas/Boxing Day (when all the family are with us) and make shopping lists - most of this is under control, so just a few bits to finalise! ;)

Blimey, it seems loads when I put it down in a list. However, although I shop all year and spend ages preparing for Christmas, I am the world's greatest procrastinator (sp?) so it is not unusual for me to be chasing last posting dates and still wrapping when I get home from Midnight Mass on Christmas Eve... This year, I think I am the furthest forward that I have ever been (OK, so I know I am sailing pretty close to the wind with the parcel for Germany...!!!) and it is mostly thanks to the good people on here, who have spurred me on with the preparations...so thanks, guys!!! :T

I will try and check back in next week, to update how much I have managed to cross off my "to do" list in 7 days. Have a good week, everyone! :snow_grin

Piglet
  • IWannabedebtfree
    Options
    Hi, I'm new at posting here, but been enjoying reading the boards for a few weeks-absolutely fab site, thanks everyone. Just wanted to say that, for 2 years running I forgot about Christmas cards that I bought the previous year in the sales. I now write on 1st December on the calendar(ie:I've just written on my new 2007 calendar)that I've bought cards (or any other xmas stuff)and where they are. I also use it for birthday bargains that I buy during the year, as my memory is rubbish!
  • choccyface2006
    Options
    I feel quite organised, all my presents are bought and wrapped and sorted into family groups. My tree is up as of yesterday, I have bought all my regular cards but not my special ones and I've not written them out yet, although I have got a list so I might do that this afternoon.

I am having a minor op on the 21st and I won't feel great afterwards so I have to get everything completly finished including my food shopping before then.

I won't be doing chritsmas dinner here, we are having one at my parents house and my sisters and I all make something to bring, I am doing the potatoes (roast and mash) and the carrot and swede, sis one is making brocolli and stilton soup and my other sis is making dessert, mum will do the rest and we will all bring some specail cheeses for the cheese borad!

Sarah
  • stefejb
    stefejb Posts: 1,725 Forumite
    Options
    Actually doing remarkably well considering how it all crept up on me again .... i only have eight family members that i give gifts to as everyone else is abroad and then some close friends. everyone knows that i am the christmas grinch so they don't expect anything too much. for the dozen or so girl presents i have made curly scarves, crochet belts and am in the process of making denim bags - the first one took 3 and a half hours yesterday but the next only an hour :) i have also made soaps to put in the bags from the recipe that is here somewhere. Adults are also getting sweetie vodka - so far have done toffee, cola bottles, cherry cola bottles and some vegan apple laces gin. i always find boys harder to make for so have mostly bought theirs. my brother and i have a tradition of giving each other really naff gifts that then have to be displayed prominently at home so i have hit the 90p store for him.

i am volunteering for crisis over christmas so won't see anyone until new year which gives me a chance to buy food and toys after christmas

stef
    I'm going to feed our children non-organic food and with the money saved take them to the zoo - half man half biscuit 2008
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure