MSE News: £500,000 fines for cold-calling

edited 31 May 2011 at 11:34AM in Phones & TV
30 replies 7.4K views
Former_MSE_HelenFormer_MSE_Helen Former MSE
2.4K Posts
edited 31 May 2011 at 11:34AM in Phones & TV
This is the discussion thread for the following MSE News Story:

"New laws to fine firms for bombarding consumers with unwanted marketing calls and messages have been introduced ..."
Read the full story:
£500,000 fines for cold-calling

OfficialStamp.gif

Replies

• TigsteroonieTigsteroonie Forumite
    24.9K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    Does this still only apply in the UK? We get bombarded with junk calls from Ireland.
    :heartpuls Mrs Marleyboy :heartpuls

MSE: many of the benefits of a helpful family, without disadvantages like having to compete for the tv remote

:) Proud Parents to an Aut-some son :)
  • I doubt if they have any jurisdiction in Ireland. If only these were applied to India!
    However this is good news, I can frighten the hell out of UK cold callers now!!:eek:

Hell why not try it on foreigners as well!
  • Hopefully this will stop Fredrickson International pestering me. They are vicious nasty people.
  • Norman_CastleNorman_Castle Forumite
    11.4K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite
    I had six automated calls from nationwide concerning an unknown persons flex account last week,every time I chose the, not at this number option. Two of these were after calling them and asking for them to stop. I then had a further call from a nationwide employee asking for the same unknown person.
    I enjoy accident management calls from india. I once convinced them I had been injured in the street by a bear!. They only cottoned on when I gave the name postman pat.
    Getting funky on the scene
  • marshallkamarshallka Forumite
    14.6K Posts
    They get away with it though and always will. I once called the MOJ about cold calls on PPI reclaiming and they told me that if I had ever signed anything that allowed my data to be passed around (which I doubt I have ever done) then they are not exactly cold calling. This to me said that there was nothing I could do unless I could find the source of whoever was passing data about and ask them to stop. Needle in haystack.
  • photomephotome Forumite
    15.9K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Bake Off Boss!
    Forumite
    I have had loads of call recently from 3 mobile, can I report them
  • MothballsWalletMothballsWallet Forumite
    15.8K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    500k isn't enough of a fine, how about a penalty of 1 billion pounds per verified complaint?
  • damo24damo24 Forumite
    299 Posts
    The idea's great but what am I supposed to do if I get a cold call or text?
  • Dave_C_2Dave_C_2 Forumite
    1.8K Posts
    What a waste.
    This is the same toothless ICO that didn't prosecute BT/phorm, TalkTalk/Huawei, Vodafone/Bluecoat, BT/ACS:Law... etc etc.
    The same toothless ICO that is giving the industry a year to obey the EU law on setting cookies etc.
    This blog sums it up.

Meh, Dave
  • DegenerateDegenerate Forumite
    2.2K Posts
    500k isn't enough of a fine, how about a penalty of 1 billion pounds per verified complaint?

Personally I favour capital punishment for such offenses.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest News and Guides