Nationwide account number- too many digits?

Hello
My OH and I opened a Save to Buy account with Nationwide (his idea: there is hope!!) and when I tried to set up a S/O from my Halifax , the account number (XXXX/xxx xxx xxx) just doesn't fit in. I seem to remember from work that with building societies, you drop the first number- as the first XXXX/ is the sort code, am I ok in thinking that I just have to enter the last 8 digits?

Thank you,

A

Comments

• glider3560
    glider3560 Posts: 4,115 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    User these details:
    Sort Code: 07-00-93
    Account Number: 33333334
    Reference: Your whole account number in the format xxxx/xxxxxxxxx
    http://www.nationwide.co.uk/search/DisplayArticle.aspx?article=1206

The bit before the / is not the sort code. It is an internal account number.
  • Reaper
    Reaper Posts: 7,279 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    I don't have the Save To Buy account, just a regular bank account with them.

However bank account numbers are invariably 8 digits, so I imagine it is the last 8 digits you need.

As for the first 4 they are not the sort code, sort codes are always 6 digits.

EDIT: Beaten to it by glider3560, with a much better answer.
  • spikyone
    spikyone Posts: 456 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    My OH and I opened a Save to Buy account with Nationwide

Interesting - I've just looked at this as I have the Santander First Home Saver account and wondered if it was similar.

I have to say that it's a bit of a disappointment. The interest rate is below the top paying instant access saving accounts, and only half what the FHS pays. OK so they have a cashback offer, but it ties you to a NW mortgage and if you're not accepted for the mortgage you won't get the cashback so you can't count it as interest.

If no-one else was offering 95% LTV mortgages it might be worthwhile, but NW are restricting your choice without even telling you what the mortgage interest rate will be!

In short, it's inflexible and the 'benefits' are dubious - I'd advise you to put your money elsewhere. :(
  • spikyone
    spikyone Posts: 456 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    spikyone wrote: »
    In short, it's inflexible and the 'benefits' are dubious - I'd advise you to put your money elsewhere. :(

In fact this is an ISAs thread - hint, hint :beer:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport