Forum Home» UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments

MSE News: Crunch time for Olympic ticket payments

New Post Advanced Search

UK Hols and Theatre

We’re struggling at the moment with the huge volumes of messages we’re getting from Forumites about coronavirus and the impact it’s having on their finances. We’re a small team and we’re doing our best to manage this spike in demand.

It’s an exceptionally tough time for the holiday, travel and events industry, and we are swamped with questions about your consumer rights around cancelled concerts, flights, hotels, theatre shows etc.

We’re a small team and we want to make sure Forumites are getting the answers they need accurately and quickly. So for the time being, we are hitting pause on this board and redirecting everyone to the MSE coronavirus guides that contain all the info we have – these guides are being constantly updated:
Coronavirus Help & Your Rights * Coronavirus Travel Rights

And of course, we have the Coronavirus Boards on the forum:
Coronavirus Support & Help * Coronavirus Travel Help & Info

MSE News: Crunch time for Olympic ticket payments

16 replies 3.9K views
MSE_GuyMSE_Guy MSE Staff
1.7K posts
I've been Money Tipped! Newshound! Chutzpah Haggler
This is the discussion thread for the following MSE News Story:

"Fans who applied for tickets for next year's Olympics have been told most payments will be taken by next week ..."

Replies

• edited 25 May 2011 at 6:13PM
    Fruit_and_Nut_CaseFruit_and_Nut_Case Forumite
    4.6K posts
    Mortgage-free Glee!
    edited 25 May 2011 at 6:13PM
    mse wrote:
    ...very few bidders have reported having had money debited yet.
    "Very few" = "Zero" as far as I can tell from searching the news. :(

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-13545116
    BBC_News wrote:
    The payment process had been due to begin on 10 May, but so far no cards had been debited.
    Are you for real? - Glass Half Empty??
    :coffee:
  • Retro_BunnyRetro_Bunny Forumite
    649 posts
    Nothing from my account yet, meaning £'000s sitting there at 0.5% interest for the time being...
    --- Warning: Grumpy Old Man in Training ---
  • MSE_GuyMSE_Guy MSE Staff
    1.7K posts
    I've been Money Tipped! Newshound! Chutzpah Haggler
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BBC News
    The payment process had been due to begin on 10 May, but so far no cards had been debited.

This was changed to 16 May
  • iceage3iceage3 Forumite
    235 posts
    i think everyone should check there credit cards frauds to easy now.
  • jamesdjamesd Forumite
    24K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You have to admire the timing: the last few days of the month, when people are most likely to be short of money in their accounts.
  • squidworthsquidworth Forumite
    170 posts
    On the standard email i received today it clearly states that if payment cannot be made they will contact you to give you a chance to make alternative payment... which to me means if you haven't got the funds in the right account you have a chance to move it around and won't automatically lose the tickets, which is a big relief!

As annoying as it was not to be told this in the first place, I can kinda understand in order to stop possible speculation (allowing an order to be declined and then deciding if you want it or not)
  • callum9999callum9999 Forumite
    4K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Nothing from my account yet, meaning £'000s sitting there at 0.5% interest for the time being...

So you're happy to spend £100's on olympic tickets but begrudge losing out on a couple of pounds of interest?
  • Caroline_aCaroline_a Forumite
    4.1K posts
    Interesting how there has been so much fuss made about the ballot, with some idiots applying for tickets way more than they can afford. I went to the Athens Olympics in 2004. We had to apply for tickets around 14 months before (and pay for them) and heard a couple of months later whether we had got them or not - there was an identical ballot then.

I don't remember anybody applying for tickets that they didnt get or couldnt afford - it's probably due to the panic buying mentality, and additionally people thinking that they can make a killing on re-selling the tickets. The annoying part about this is that that real sports fans might miss out because some donut thinks he can sell a load of tickets and make himself rich, which of course won't happen as tickets cannot be resold!
  • n1cn1cn1cn1c Forumite
    21 posts
    some movement in the account today, looks like something finally happening with payment for tickets. Amount debited is approx 25% of what maximum could have been :j
  • tygrtygr Forumite
    155 posts
    Looks like about a third of my maximum amount has been debited. I want to know what I've got. Very pleased to have got something :D
    December 2010 wins - 12 month Four Four Two subscription; Alcatel OT 708 phone; Miffy cuddly toy; Nivea gift pack
This discussion has been closed.

Quick links

Essential Money | Who & Where are you? | Work & Benefits | Household and travel | Shopping & Freebies | About MSE | The MoneySavers Arms | Covid-19 & Coronavirus Support