🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Cordless power drill battery exploded.

Options
Hi all,

I bought a power drill made by the company called Cougar and yesterday the battery exploded while putting in a screw in a timber framed dog kennel which i'm building.

I've had it about 4 years now and it has hardly been used in that time but so i'm not holding any hopes on getting any recourse but nonetheless, an exploding battery wouldn't be what i would expect.

As i stated, i was using the drill as a powered screwdriver, as it's perfect for that use, and will putting in a screw in a timber framed kennel the battery exploded.
Luckily i wasn't holding it at an acute angel because if i had of been, safety goggles or not, it would have done some damage as the outer casing of the battery and a metal contact for one of the internal battery cells blew outwards.

I'm trying to get the contact details for the company so i can send them the photo's i have taken of the battery after it blew and to also make a formal complaint.
If anyone can help me with this as i've been looking on the net for information and so far the best i've managed to do is get Cougar Tools location in Doncaster.

Can you also tell me what my options with a product that's 4 years old now.

I think i still have the original box somewhere and the drill bit accessories that came with it have been stored well and hardly used.

Any help and advice you can give me will be very much appreciated.

Comments

• vuvuzela
    vuvuzela Posts: 3,648 Forumite
    Options
    I would say that your main option would be to recycle it at your local civic amenity centre and buy another drill. After 4 years you've got no realistic chance of getting anything from them.
    Was it something like http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/COUGAR-18V-CORDLESS-DRILL-/280680976471 which is curtrently selling for 40 quid ?
  • liam8282
    liam8282 Posts: 2,864 Forumite
    Options
    After 4 years personally I wouldn't have any high expectations of the manufacturer doing anything.

As you say you have not used the drill very much, therefore could it be something to do with how you have stored the drill and battery, could it be something to do with how you have charged the battery?
  • Chomerly
    Chomerly Posts: 42 Forumite
    Options
    vuvuzela wrote:
    I would say that your main option would be to recycle it at your local civic amenity centre and buy another drill. After 4 years you've got no realistic chance of getting anything from them.
    Was it something like http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/COUGAR-18V-CORDLESS-DRILL-/280680976471 which is curtrently selling for 40 quid ?

It is very similar to that yes.
    Liam8282 wrote:
    After 4 years personally I wouldn't have any high expectations of the manufacturer doing anything.

As you say you have not used the drill very much, therefore could it be something to do with how you have stored the drill and battery, could it be something to do with how you have charged the battery?

The battery was stored in a tool box and as for how it was charged, i could only do it on particular way which was to put it in it's charger (which only fits in one particular way) so not much can wrong there.

Surely there would be an option for redress as doesn't the consumer protection give you up to 6 years, with the onus on me to prove an inherent fault after 6 months, and 5 years in Scotland?
  • somethingcorporate
    Options
    It gives you 6 years in which you can bring action against the retailer, it does not mean that items should last 6 years. The best you can hope for is a proportionate refund, which on a drill that costs £40 and is 4 years old would be a couple of bob and a big apple.

Buy a new one and move on.
    Thinking critically since 1996....
  • vuvuzela
    vuvuzela Posts: 3,648 Forumite
    Options
    Chomerly wrote: »
    Surely there would be an option for redress as doesn't the consumer protection give you up to 6 years, with the onus on me to prove an inherent fault after 6 months, and 5 years in Scotland?

You're right. But they key thing is 'up to' and no-one would see a 40 quid drill lasting 4 years as being a bad thing, surely. Your best result is likely to get a proportional refund, which after paying for your own engineers report would be pennies.
    I'd recycle it and get a different one.
  • liam8282
    Options
    Chomerly wrote: »
    The battery was stored in a tool box and as for how it was charged, i could only do it on particular way which was to put it in it's charger (which only fits in one particular way) so not much can wrong there.

It seems there are a few things that you could have done wrong.

The battery could have been stored in a tool box yes, but if this was in a cold or damp environment, such as a shed or garage, this would surely have a detrimental effect on it.

You can overcharge the battery.

If you use the battery straight from being charged, taking it from the heat inside where it is being charged, to the cold outside where it seems you were using it, this could also cause problems.

The battery could have been dropped, weakening the structure or causing internal damage.

These could all result in the battery exploding, they would all be user error and the manufacturer would not be responsible.

Searching on the internet, it is not a very common occurrence, (drill batteries exploding), but it does happen.

What are you hoping to get from the manufacturer?
  • liam8282
    edited 25 May 2011 at 4:43PM
    Options
    vuvuzela wrote: »
    You're right. But they key thing is 'up to' and no-one would see a 40 quid drill lasting 4 years as being a bad thing, surely. Your best result is likely to get a proportional refund, which after paying for your own engineers report would be pennies.
    I'd recycle it and get a different one.

I agree.

A quick sum for this:

£40 / 6 years = £6.66 x 2 years = £13.33 = Value of remaining life of drill

Cost of engineers report = £25

Cost of sending drill for report = £10

Cost of sending drill to manufacturer = £10

Net loss = £31.67

= Best thing to do, go buy another drill. ;)

£30 from Asda

http://direct.asda.com/9.6V-Cordless-Drill-Driver/001225326,default,pd.html
  • Chomerly
    Options
    :rotfl: i like the calculations.

I'm not really hoping for to much. Perhaps a battery replacement or pro rata discount on buying a new one.

The battery and drill have never been dropped and storage was always in a dry environment.
    I never use a battery for at least 20 minutes after charging for the very reason that you explained Liam.
    It was something that i was told about as part of an induction for the job i used to have as a sat and aerial engineer.

£40 isn't a lot of money for 4 years use of a drill i know but i wouldn't have expected it to explode the way it did.
    I'll just have to see what the manufacturer says as it may highlight an issue they are not aware of from the company who supplies the battery cells.

If anyone has any contact details for the company then please let me know.
  • T_T_2
    T_T_2 Posts: 880 Forumite
    Options
    I think you might be chasing a rainbow here. £40 is scrapping the barrel of budget drills, I'm quite surprised that it lasted 4 years, it must have had the torque of an 8 year old's left wrist. I think you need to accept that you have definately got your money's worth from this drill.
  • Chomerly
    Options
    T_T wrote: »
    I think you might be chasing a rainbow here. £40 is scrapping the barrel of budget drills, I'm quite surprised that it lasted 4 years, it must have had the torque of an 8 year old's left wrist. I think you need to accept that you have definately got your money's worth from this drill.

I guess your right mate.
    It's been such a good drill that i'm going to miss using it.

As far as it goes for using it as a screwdriver its been excellent.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 8 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.6K Travel & Transport