We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Best Credit Card Post IVA

Options
2

Comments

  • FavDaughter1
    FavDaughter1 Posts: 300 Forumite
    Options
    Hi, i do hope my post didn't come across as criticism, i meant to urge great care:). my own experience is still terribly raw, to find my husband had such huge secrets & the possible consequences has been terrifying.without my parents help (they lent us £ to do a F&F IVA) we'd have been looking at BR,saving the money up to do this by not paying the mortgage& then forced re possesion:eek:

    he admits he can't control himself with cc's,a big admission that he's found difficult. we've coped with this problem before but never at this level. for me personally i feel safer with our wrecked credit record. i will have to keep a close eye on things especially when the IVA is off our record. but,he's an adult with a wage,the buck stops with him. i never want to go through this again.
    take care x
  • james32_uk
    james32_uk Posts: 1,223 Forumite
    Options
    Agree with everything said above, I recommend you dont get a card to spend on what you cant afford to pay back in full. BUT as no one has actually answered your question I will. Vanquis is the card most likely to accept you. It will take 2-3 weeks to get your card and the limit will be low and the interest high. Capital One will get the card to you sooner (about a week) but are less likely to accept.
    Debt as at 12th July 2006 - £61,345 :eek: :eek: :eek:
    Debt free 21st Oct 2011.

    All thanks to :money:
  • spaceman5
    spaceman5 Posts: 2,716 Forumite
    Options
    james23_uk wrote: »
    Agree with everything said above, I recommend you dont get a card to spend on what you cant afford to pay back in full. BUT as no one has actually answered your question I will. Vanquis is the card most likely to accept you. It will take 2-3 weeks to get your card and the limit will be low and the interest high. Capital One will get the card to you sooner (about a week) but are less likely to accept.

    my vanquis card took less than a week to arrive
    Take every day as it comes!!
  • BillyWilly_2
    BillyWilly_2 Posts: 39 Forumite
    Options
    Hi,

    I have just received my IVA completion certificate and just wandered if this Vanquis credit is still offered if the IVA is still on my credit file? It will be wiped off March 2012.

    Thanks in advance to any response.
  • FoggyBrain_2
    FoggyBrain_2 Posts: 1,121 Forumite
    Options
    Vanquis (and, indeed, lenders in general) are difficult to second guess! I have seen people being accepted soon after completion and others refused. If you do get a refusal, resist the temptation to try other cards as each search will leave a footprint on your record.
  • BillyWilly_2
    BillyWilly_2 Posts: 39 Forumite
    Options
    Thank you FoggyBrain.

    Will the footprint indicate a refusal of credit or does it just say they have had a look at my credit report?
  • FoggyBrain_2
    FoggyBrain_2 Posts: 1,121 Forumite
    Options
    I can only speak for Experian (who I have recent credit reports from) and their records state simply who searched and why, no clue as to the outcome.
  • spaceman5
    spaceman5 Posts: 2,716 Forumite
    Options
    BillyWilly wrote: »
    Hi,

    I have just received my IVA completion certificate and just wandered if this Vanquis credit is still offered if the IVA is still on my credit file? It will be wiped off March 2012.

    Thanks in advance to any response.

    i came out of iva 3 weks ago, and within a week i had a vanquis card, not had my completion certificate yet either, i only got mine to use to pay for things i normlly buy(i.e petrol etc) and pay off straight away, just to give my credit rating a boost, so can get things like a mobile contract in my own name again, learnt my lesson from before, not going down that long road again:T
    Take every day as it comes!!
  • giblet10
    giblet10 Posts: 494 Forumite
    Options
    spaceman5 wrote: »
    i came out of iva 3 weks ago, and within a week i had a vanquis card, not had my completion certificate yet either, i only got mine to use to pay for things i normlly buy(i.e petrol etc) and pay off straight away, just to give my credit rating a boost, so can get things like a mobile contract in my own name again, learnt my lesson from before, not going down that long road again:T

    I came out of my IVA in April this year (2011) - applied for Vanquis last Thursday, they called and approved me on the Friday - just waiting for card now - biting nails as this is my first new credit card in more than six years - I just hope they haven't changed their minds!
    Never argue with an idiot. Especially not this idiot because I'm always right anyway.
  • spriggit82
    spriggit82 Posts: 25 Forumite
    Options
    just applied for a Vanquis card - come up they couldnt make a decision immediately but will come back in 10 - 14 days - does this mean ive been rejected?? if it is a rejection at least I know ...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback
  • 15.1K Coronavirus Support Boards