5 late payments on credit file.... Please help!

Options
Hi there,

I am looking at buying a new house soon with my partner so I have checked my credit file and there are 5 late payments on my file from Barclaycard! I believe these are not my fault and was hoping to get them removed.

Firstly let me explain why they have been put on my credit file. After transferring a balance from Barclaycard to another credit card unbeknown to me there was a £6 balance left outstanding, royal mail tried to deliver the next statement (first statement after the transfer balance) to my property but could not gain access and sent the statement back to Barclaycard stating 'can not gain access to property'. 5 months later I then get a phone call from a debt collector and paid off the arrears straight away (by then the balance for £59 due to late payment fees!). I have spoken to Barclaycard abd they are saying they can't take these late payments off.

Does anyone know if or how I can get these removed? I can't believe all this hassle for the sack of £6!

Comments

• Tixy
    Tixy Posts: 31,455 Forumite
    Options
    Hi

They don't have to remove these late payments. If a balance was owed that was not paid they are correct to put them on - in fact there could easily have entered a default on the account after 3months which would have had a much more significant and long term impact on your credit file.

Your only hope of getting them removed is to ask nicely for a goodwill gesture and explain what happened. Still I think with it being so many months your chances might be slim.

You say that the £6 balance was unbeknown to you but that isn't really a defence as you should have known what balance was on the account and what interest etc was due to be charged after the balance transfer. I would try to focus their goodwill about the letter not being delivered to you instead. Have they confirmed that no further letters were sent after the first one?
    A smile enriches those who receive without making poorer those who give
    or "It costs nowt to be nice"
  • Phelpsie001
    Phelpsie001 Posts: 229 Forumite
    Options
    You best bet is to talk to them and explain. A single operator at their call centres has a surprising amount of power....
    Original Mortgage Debt - £130,330.
    Current Mortgage Debt - £116,605.
    2010 O/Ps - £5,000. 2011 O/Ps - £1,978.42.
    Original Loan Debt - £6,000. Current Loan Debt - £3,500.
    Original HP Debt - £1,000. Current HP Debt - £240.
  • bengal-stripe
    bengal-stripe Posts: 3,349 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    ......unbeknown to me there was a £6 balance left outstanding, royal mail tried to deliver the next statement (first statement after the transfer balance) to my property but could not gain access and sent the statement back to Barclaycard stating 'can not gain access to property'.

How do you get your mail delivered without having a letter box? :D

How come, you know all these details? - What happened to the next four statements?
  • Earleybird18
    Options
    I live in a flat and the trades button for the security door had been taken off due to burglaries. The debt collector told me all the info when they called. Going to call Barclaycard again today
  • custardy
    custardy Posts: 38,365 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I live in a flat and the trades button for the security door had been taken off due to burglaries. The debt collector told me all the info when they called. Going to call Barclaycard again today

mail isnt returned after one delivery attempt
    you must have an going issue where staff cant gain entry to the property
    have you rectified this?
  • Earleybird18
    Options
    I haven't had any other problems with the mail, maybe he tried a few times but still couldn't gain access. All I know is what the collection agency said when I phoned them.
  • Earleybird18
    Options
    Hi, thank you for your comments on my little problem but just to let you know after many phone calls and persistence not to accept what Barclaycard had done to my credit file they have now agreed to remove the 5 late payments! Happy days!
  • DarnIt_3
    DarnIt_3 Posts: 294 Forumite
    Options
    You can add a notice of correction to the file....and when you go for your mortgage ask for this to be considered. Other than that there is little that can be done. BC will say it is your responsibilty to keep your account in order.

Good luck
    29th June -Beginning Credit Score 422 :( £2575
    12th July - Credit score 471 :p
    22nd August - Credit Score 550 :p Still very poor just but only just!
    Remaining to pay off: £1370.95
  • Earleybird18
    Options
    BC agreed to remove the late markers
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business