Trusteer Rapport

Options
50Twuncle
50Twuncle Posts: 10,763 Forumite
Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
I am trying to rid my PC (Win 7 64 bit) of this program and am unable to - I have tried using CCleaner too - after ensuring that it is "stopped" - but it is still there - any suggestions as how to remove it ?
It appears to have been installed as part of a wireless PCI card installation - now removed.....

Comments

• System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    21Twinkle wrote: »
    I am trying to rid my PC (Win 7 64 bit) of this program and am unable to - I have tried using CCleaner too - after ensuring that it is "stopped" - but it is still there - any suggestions as how to remove it ?
    It appears to have been installed as part of a wireless PCI card installation - now removed.....

Trusteer Rapport is a security system that many banks use to improve your PC security during online banking (and can be setup for other web pages where you type passwords)

In my opinion, Rapport is a good piece of software to have correctly installed and running if you use online banking. Check your bank's website for confirmation or simply Google it ;)
  • JasX
    JasX Posts: 3,996 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Anyone know if there is a way to stop santander bombardiing me with popups to install this junk when accessing their online banking?

(although thb I'm only with them for a few months to collect the free £100 then I'm off to first direct so I guess I could live with it :p)
  • debitcardmayhem
    debitcardmayhem Posts: 11,858 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    BAA1 wrote: »
    In my opinion, Rapport is a good piece of software to have correctly installed and running if you use online banking. Check your bank's website for confirmation or simply Google it ;)
    Don't google it for other opinions, there are plenty on this forum.:cool:
    My opinion remove it
    🍺 😎 Still grumpy, and No, Cloudflare I am NOT a robot 🤖BUT my responses are now out of my control they are posted via ChatGPT or the latest AI
  • Richie-from-the-Boro
    Options
    JasX wrote: »
    Anyone know if there is a way to stop santander bombardiing me with popups to install this junk when accessing their online banking?

(although thb I'm only with them for a few months to collect the free £100 then I'm off to first direct so I guess I could live with it :p)

Change broswer mate, Crapport can't go on opera, and your bank wont even offer you it any more.
    Disclaimer : Everything I write on this forum is my opinion. I try to be an even-handed poster and accept that you at times may not agree with these opinions or how I choose to express them, this is not my problem. The Disabled : If years cannot be added to their lives, at least life can be added to their years - Alf Morris - ℜ
  • Richie-from-the-Boro
    Options
    Trusteer Rapport is a security system that many banks use to improve your PC security during online banking (and can be setup for other web pages where you type passwords)

It's an opinion, and you are entitled to it. Read up on The Oakie Island Trading Company and their very shady past practices.

Why do you think installing a keylogger on you computer is a good idea, when most of the techies on here pay their mortgages by getting them off other peoples computers ?
    Disclaimer : Everything I write on this forum is my opinion. I try to be an even-handed poster and accept that you at times may not agree with these opinions or how I choose to express them, this is not my problem. The Disabled : If years cannot be added to their lives, at least life can be added to their years - Alf Morris - ℜ
  • System
    Options
    It's an opinion, and you are entitled to it. Read up on The Oakie Island Trading Company and their very shady past practices.

Why do you think installing a keylogger on you computer is a good idea, when most of the techies on here pay their mortgages by getting them off other peoples computers ?

AFAIK - Rapport is not a keylogger.

The majority of the major UK banks recommend Trusteer Rapport.

The negative comments seem to be sponsored by Sophos who are a competitor to Trusteer so no surprise that they would attempt to give it bad press.

Sorry, but I will believe what the major banks say rather than someone I do not know on this forum ;)
  • System
    Options
    JasX wrote: »

First Direct are part of HSBC and both the HSBC and First Direct websites recommend Trusteer Rapport. Not sure if they "bombard with popups" like you say Santander do tho ?
  • ChiefGrasscutter
    ChiefGrasscutter Posts: 2,112 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    AFAIK - Rapport is not a keylogger.

?Really?

So do tell us...
    how does it know to warn you that you are just about to use the same password that you have used previously on your bank site?
    The only way must be if it logs the keystrokes as you are typing the password in to the banking site, then converts them into a hash for secure storage.
    At a later stage it then monitors all other passwords entered on other sites for comparison with the stored hash of the bank password.

I think that's called a key logger
  • System
    Options
    ?Really?

So do tell us...
    how does it know to warn you that you are just about to use the same password that you have used previously on your bank site?
    The only way must be if it logs the keystrokes as you are typing the password in to the banking site, then converts them into a hash for secure storage.
    At a later stage it then monitors all other passwords entered on other sites for comparison with the stored hash of the bank password.

I think that's called a key logger

I cannot find any reviews or info that confirms if Rapport actually functions in the way that you suggest.

In fact, I use the same password on a couple of different websites (not banks) that I monitor with Rapport and it does not highlight the fact that I have used the same password.

Rapport does do the following:
    Keystroke Encryption: Rapport encrypts sensitive information from the moment it is typed into the keyboard until it reaches the browser, thus preventing information from being read or tampered with before it reaches the browser. Keystrokes are encrypted very low in the operating system’s kernel, and are kept encrypted inside the kernel and user space.

The reviews I have read seem to suggest it is a good piece of software, so I am sticking with my opinion.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure