🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

garage fuel pump adds 1p every time-Who can i tell?

Options

Comments

• Googlewhacker
    Googlewhacker Posts: 3,887 Forumite
    Options
    sabz3008 wrote: »
    Thanks. :)

lol, thats the Christmas tip ;)
    The Googlewhacker referance is to Dave Gorman and not to my opinion of the search engine!

If I give you advice it is only a view and always always take professional advice before acting!!!

4 people on the ignore list....Bliss!
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    sabz3008 wrote: »
    1000 customers - that's £10

they're killing it :|

However if they are the sort of business that engages in this sort of practice, how do you know they haven't set the pumps to dispense short measures too ?

This happened at a garage near where I used to work. Word spread and eventually the garage went out of business.
  • sabz3008
    sabz3008 Posts: 257 Forumite
    Options
    charles_w wrote: »
    However if they are the sort of business that engages in this sort of practice, how do you know they haven't set the pumps to dispense short measures too ?

This happened at a garage near where I used to work. Word spread and eventually the garage went out of business.

They might well be doing that...That's why I said what I said, it's an outrage - Out of every 1000 customers, they're earning themselves £10 , considering there's MILLIONS of cars out there that need fuel...And if garages like that engage in this sort of practice, though to some it may just be a 'penny' - It adds up to big big money in the end!
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Not this old chestnut again
  • KierNet
    KierNet Posts: 2,775 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I love people moaning about it, love getting some witty replies in, my favourites are, 'we need to pay for the office party somehow', 'I'm not allowed a pay rise so I press the penny button to everyone and take it at the end of the shift'.

Because the price of fuel is so high, the slightest touch of the trigger will increase it.

If your really upset by it phone trading standards (remember the price of the phone call!).

Its a penny at the end of the day, nothing to get your knickers in a twist with!
    What is pi? Where did it come from?
  • Oliver14
    Oliver14 Posts: 5,878 Forumite
    Options
    In all liklihood the OP is imagining it and when he puts the pump back it is likely 99.8 or 99.9 and as kier says the action of putting the pump back knocks the trigger and hits it to the the next number.
    'The More I know about people the Better I like my Dog'
    Samuel Clemens
  • buel
    buel Posts: 674 Forumite
    Options
    sigh! No Oliver, unfortunately you are quite wrong. I have checked this many many times. Plus other customers have complained too. Sorry to disappoint.
    Not yet a total moneysaving expert...but im trying!!
  • liam8282
    liam8282 Posts: 2,864 Forumite
    Options
    If it is only 1 diesel pump out of how ever many pumps at a garage, it is probably just a fault with the reading on that specific pump.

When you pick the pump up and start to put diesel in, it may not record the 1st 1p, but you will never notice this, you will only notice that 1p clicking on when you put the pump down.

If you really are concerned, contact Trading Standards as others have advised.
  • Hintza
    Hintza Posts: 19,420 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    OP what I don't understand is if it is such an issue you keep going back "many many" times. If a shop, garage or anyone annoys me I vote with my feet.
  • fluffnutter
    fluffnutter Posts: 23,179 Forumite
    Options
    If paying by cash, why not simply give them the £30 or whatever and say 'there you go, you know your pump adds a penny, so I'm paying for what I've used'. Other than that, just go somewhere else.
    "Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell" - Edward Abbey.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 6 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.6K Travel & Transport