garage fuel pump adds 1p every time-Who can i tell?

Options
buel
buel Posts: 674 Forumite
Hi,
A Diesel pump at my local garage constantly adds 1p everytime a customer puts the pump back. I have complained to a member of staff who said that other customers have complained to the manager/owner but he has no intention of correcting this. Also i feel that i get less fuel for my money than i do at other garages.
Please can someone tell me who i can report this to?
Not yet a total moneysaving expert...but im trying!!

Comments

• vuvuzela
    vuvuzela Posts: 3,648 Forumite
    Options
    If you feel you got less fuel for your money, report them to your local Trading Standards office.
  • PZH
    PZH Posts: 1,599 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    buel wrote: »
    Hi,
    A Diesel pump at my local garage constantly adds 1p everytime a customer puts the pump back. I have complained to a member of staff who said that other customers have complained to the manager/owner but he has no intention of correcting this. Also i feel that i get less fuel for my money than i do at other garages.
    Please can someone tell me who i can report this to?

If you think the pumps are dispensing short measures then approach Trading Standards and ask if they can recheck them. (I think pumps have to be certified and sealed - but might have dreamt that one ?)

As for 1p more - stop at £xx.99 and then put the pump back - or use another garage.
    “That old law about 'an eye for an eye' leaves everybody blind. The time is always right to do the right thing.”
  • redbull5
    redbull5 Posts: 312 Forumite
    Options
    Use another garage - simples
    From England - Live in Edinburgh and work as a bus driver
  • david39
    david39 Posts: 1,968 Forumite
    Options
    The integrity of the pumps will be "spot-checked" by trading standards at regular intervals.
    These checks are unannounced so that the proprietor does not know when they will be made.

The checks cover accuracy of measurement of the pump over different quantities of fuel, dispensed at various rates. Also, various other checks are made such as checking that all the segments of each digit of the display are working so that an 8 does not appear as a 0 etc. Checks are also made on the safety of the pumps and of other parts of the forecourt installation and its signage.

The measuring devices in each pump are sealed by trading standards and the seals must not be broken. If they need to be broken for maintenance of that particular unit, then trading standards have to be told at the time and this results in a very quick response by them to recheck the measurements and reseal them.

If you think that there is anything wrong at the petrol station you should report it to trading standards who will investigate it.
  • buel
    Options
    Thank you for the answers. I will contact Trading Standards regarding the amount.

However, with respect, i dont think simply (or 'simples') swapping garages addresses the problem, which is what i want to do, if not for me then for all the other hundreds of people who have had this happen to them.
    For the record, i dont think the advice of stopping at 99p is helpful. Imagine if the whole world had that opinion on being fiddled out of a penny.
  • buel
    Options
    Thank you David!!
  • Oopsadaisy
    Oopsadaisy Posts: 1,818 Forumite
    Options
    Lol, tremendous wind-up...love it!!!!

Surprised there haven't been more ranters on here.
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why then you're as thick and stupid as the moderators on here - MSE ForumTeam
  • sabz3008
    sabz3008 Posts: 257 Forumite
    Options
    1000 customers - that's £10

they're killing it :|
  • vikingaero
    vikingaero Posts: 10,920 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Contact Trading Standards. They may choose to conduct a weights and measures test.
    The man without a signature.
  • sabz3008
    sabz3008 Posts: 257 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks. :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts