Childrens Passport Question

Options

Comments

• rileydog
    rileydog Posts: 147 Forumite
    Options
    How old is the son with no passport? If your ex applies for the passport then when it expires he will have to authorise/approve you applying for the next passport at renewal. If things became difficult for you down the line he could stop you getting another passport for your son when the one he's getting now runs out :o
  • peachyprice
    peachyprice Posts: 22,346 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    rileydog wrote: »
    If your ex applies for the passport then when it expires he will have to authorise/approve you applying for the next passport at renewal.

Are you sure that's correct? Both myself and my ex have renewed our boys passports over the years but have never had to authorise/approve anything.

Maybe it's a new thing, although they were only renewed last summer.
    Accept your past without regret, handle your present with confidence and face your future without fear
  • rileydog
    Options
    If your ex applies for the passport then when it expires he will have to authorise/approve you applying for the next passport at renewal.
    Are you sure that's correct? Both myself and my ex have renewed our boys passports over the years but have never had to authorise/approve anything.

Maybe it's a new thing, although they were only renewed last summer.

My friend is currently going through the process. The child lives solely with her and has done since she was around a year old (8 or 9 yrs old now). There are no formal arrangements with regards access but the child does see her Dad once a week. Mum went to get a new passport for a forthcoming holiday and it's been rejected by passport office as Dad refuses to give the old expired passport or sign the form to say he is happy for Mum to apply for a renewal as it was him that applied for the first passport the child had.
  • GobbledyGook
    GobbledyGook Posts: 2,195 Forumite
    Options
    Do they not do any checks on children's identity for passports? Surely they should query if there is a difference between the address that is the child's main residence for things like child benefit and the stated main residence on an application?
  • peachyprice
    edited 15 May 2011 at 6:33PM
    Options
    it's been rejected by passport office as Dad refuses to give the old expired passport or sign the form to say he is happy for Mum to apply for a renewal as it was him that applied for the first passport the child had.

Ah, I see, that's porobaly the difference, we've always had the old passports to send back and just filled in the forms, and either signed as we both have PR.
    Do they not do any checks on children's identity for passports? Surely they should query if there is a difference between the address that is the child's main residence for things like child benefit and the stated main residence on an application?

No I don't thnk they do, infact they don't even ask if it's the childs main residence, all it says is the address you provided will only be used for correspondence and return of documents .

All you put on the forms is name, DOB, address (which you don't even have to tell them when you move), parents names, DOB and passport numbers, date of marriage nothing else. I even got my ex's DOB wrong last time which they didn't pick up on. They don't even ask if you've divorced.
    Accept your past without regret, handle your present with confidence and face your future without fear
  • shiprob195
    shiprob195 Posts: 746 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    DS2 is only 4 so will need a renewal at some point in the future (assuming he wants to go abroad in 5 yrs time).

At the moment everything is amicable, he did ask me to go halfs on the passports....I declined, saying I didnt need the children to have passports this yr. I agreed to give him some money towards the passports if I was lucky enough to take the kids away in future years.
    :T
    Slimming world new starter 2/1/17
    :D:D:DWeight loss so far 5 stone 8 lbs

:rotfl:Loss needed to get to target NONE!!! TARGET MEMBER :D
  • peachyprice
    Options
    That's the way we've always done it, whoever needs the passports when they're up for renewal pays, seems fair to me.
  • Janepig
    Janepig Posts: 16,780 Forumite
    Options
    How old is the son with no passport? If your ex applies for the passport then when it expires he will have to authorise/approve you applying for the next passport at renewal. If things became difficult for you down the line he could stop you getting another passport for your son when the one he's getting now runs out :o

Could that not work the other way also? If the OP applies for it now and in afew years time the ex wants to renew? Why does the fella always have to be the bad guy?

Jxx
    And it looks like we made it once again
    Yes it looks like we made it to the end
  • rileydog
    Options
    Janepig wrote: »
    Could that not work the other way also? If the OP applies for it now and in afew years time the ex wants to renew? Why does the fella always have to be the bad guy?

Jxx

The sex of the parent is irrelavent really - it's just that the 1 day a week parent could stop the main carer taking their own child abroad by refusing to give the expired passport for the renewal application as has happened in my friends case. Her daughter lives with her full-time yet it's her Dad who sees her once a week who is dictating whether she can have a passport!

She has a child with her new partner and the ex is doing it purely out of spite knowing that if he refuses to renew his own childs passport then the whole family will lose out on the holiday they worked hard to pay for and were so looking forward to.

She had no idea that because the first passport application was in his name she would have trouble renewing if he didn't co-operate. There is no way my friend will take one child and not the other.
  • Janepig
    Janepig Posts: 16,780 Forumite
    Options
    The sex of the parent is irrelavent really - it's just that the 1 day a week parent could stop the main carer taking their own child abroad by refusing to give the expired passport for the renewal application as has happened in my friends case. Her daughter lives with her full-time yet it's her Dad who sees her once a week who is dictating whether she can have a passport!

She has a child with her new partner and the ex is doing it purely out of spite knowing that if he refuses to renew his own childs passport then the whole family will lose out on the holiday they worked hard to pay for and were so looking forward to.

She had no idea that because the first passport application was in his name she would have trouble renewing if he didn't co-operate. There is no way my friend will take one child and not the other.

I would have said that it's the spitefulness of the ex, rather than the amount of contact they have with the child would be the relevant factor here. Although perhaps you could have a parent who isn't happy with the level of contact they have and could use something like this to "get back" that the resident parent. But as I say, this could happen with either parent if they want to bear a grudge. Spiteful in the extreme when you think that it's the child that misses out ultimately.

I really hope your friend is able to sort the issue out with the passport office in some way or other.

Jxx
    And it looks like we made it once again
    Yes it looks like we made it to the end
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.2K Work, Benefits & Business