Pet Insurance guide discussion area

Options

Comments

• gettingready
    gettingready Posts: 11,330 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I was also looking at Direct Line however according to their policy for Advanced cover the £8k vet fees are NOT renewed each year..... can that be correct?

That would be a "per condition cover" as Sheamber explained.

Some people think it is a good cover but it is actually not as if your pet develops any long term problem, the money for that condition would very soon run out. So you would have cover for anything else but not for the one you need once the "pot" is used up.

Life cover is always better
  • Sam_Donovan
    Options
    Thanks both for the explanation that makes much more sense , and yes I dont think it sounds like the best option.
  • sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 19,227 Forumite
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    While not the best option it can benefit someone whose pet has several separate expensive conditions in one year.

It is better than the policies with a 12 month limit on claims for one condition.

Sometimes it is the most cost effective policy for someone who cannot afford the cost of a lifetime policy.
  • sheramber
    Options
    Just had the renewal from NCI for Cleo- was originally AXA but transferred to NCI as had previous cliam for cruciate op.

Last year monthly premium was £26.11.

Renewal this year is £21.64 .

Underwriter has changed from Elite to Aviva. The requirement to contact them if treatment is going to be more than £850 is no longer shown.
  • trevjl
    trevjl Posts: 222 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    sheramber wrote: »
    Direct Line- like many companies- give cover on a 'condition basis'.

This means you have £8000 cover for each condition that arises over how many years it takes to use up the amount.

So, if you have a claim for arthritis of £1000 the first year you have £7000 left to cover any further treatment. If you have no claim for arthritis in the second year your cover for arthritis remains at £7000

However if , in the second year, you have a claim for a skin infection of £2000 then you still have £7000 for arthritis cover ( as you have not claimed anything for it) but you now have £6000 for any further treatment for skin infections.

Each condition is covered separately.

If your dog has five unrelated conditions in one year then you have 5x £8000 available for vet fees as you have £8000 for each new condition.

This cover is generally cheaper than vet fee cover renewing each year as you are limited to £8000 per condition over the lifetime of your pet/ your policy if ceased earlier.

I have been with DL for two years for my two springers. I didn't realise either regarding this and will investigate now as have just received my renewal.
    If you have this policy, be sure to go on their site and put in your details again. First year £23 for both dogs - renewal came through at £35. Went online and got it with them again for £29. This year, renewal has come through at £43, just been online and got a quote for exactly the same for £27
  • sheramber
    Options
    trevjl wrote: »
    I have been with DL for two years for my two springers. I didn't realise either regarding this and will investigate now as have just received my renewal.
    If you have this policy, be sure to go on their site and put in your details again. First year £23 for both dogs - renewal came through at £35. Went online and got it with them again for £29. This year, renewal has come through at £43, just been online and got a quote for exactly the same for £27

New policies usually attract an introductory . Direct Line do statee
    12 months for the price of 9

However, if you have consulted your vet about anything, whether or not any treatment was given, it will considered a pre existing condition and excluded from the new policy.
  • trevjl
    trevjl Posts: 222 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Good point.
    The more I look the more confusing it gets. I quite like the look of a Co-Op policy at about £40 for the two dogs for lifetime £5K but i cant find any info on whether they are good payers.
    Petplan £50 for £4K or £60 for £7K
    John Lewis £50 for £3K or £50 for £7.5K

at the end of the day, I can afford to pay if it goes over so it's not a life or death thing, just like value for my £ anddon't like being ripped off.
  • PhiltheBear
    Options
    The Coop's insurance is a 'badged' version of Pet Plan. No worries about paying out - but do read the policy and make sure that it's the cover you want and the amount you want covered.
  • mrssjs
    mrssjs Posts: 627 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    We are paying around £20 per month for LV's premier policy.

Our Premier policy covers treatment for as long as your pet needs it with cover up to £10,000 for vet fees every year. This will continue for as long as your pet is insured with us.

They have recently paid out for an emergency operation our puppy had to have with no issue.
  • Pet Insurance with PAH can only be in one persons name (even when you live as a couple)
    I have split with my partner and i have kept one of our dogs (my dog has a condtion for life, regular claims are made)
    Insurance is with Pets at Home Lifetime cover
    Does any one know how i get the policy transferd to my name??
    As i am struggling to get the cheques that have been issued to my ex from PAH him even though i have paid the vets he isnt giving me the money back

Thank you
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure