We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Santander ISA HELP NEEDED

Options
I have just closed a Flexible ISA (Issue 2) with Santander, I needed the money to put towards a house. I put in my full allowance last year of £5100.00. The current rate is 3.2% When I closed it I had only earnt £160.00 interest, is this right????? Doesn't sound a lot of interest to have been made in a year.

Comments

• Lokolo
    Lokolo Posts: 20,861 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    You would get 3.2% of £5,100 if you put the full amount in and it was for a year.

If you put £0 in for 6 months and £5,100 for 6 month you wouldn't get 3.2% on £5,100 as the money was only in there for 6 months.
  • rb10
    rb10 Posts: 6,334 Forumite
    Options
  • Lokolo
    Lokolo Posts: 20,861 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    rb10 wrote: »

Ha I should have checked the maths first of all I guess!
  • Sarahdol75
    Sarahdol75 Posts: 7,717 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Thankyou for your replies, I am rubbish with maths and just wanted it confirmed.
  • Gordon_the_Moron
    Gordon_the_Moron Posts: 1,472 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    To work out your interest for a year use the following sum

X = the average balance of the account over the year (estimate this if you need to, if its full for 9 months its three quarters of the balance, 6 months half, 3 months a quarter work it out roughly from that)

Y =
    1 if you are a non tax payer (just use the ISA calculation though)
    0.8 if you pay 20% tax
    0.6 if you pay 40% tax
    0.5 if you pay 50% tax

Z = Your interest rate

X * 0.0Z (leave the 0 after the decimal point off if your interest is over 10%, it works for debts as well as savings calculations)

If the account is not an ISA use

X * (0.0Z * Y) (leave the 0 after the decimal point off if your interest is over 10%, it works for debts as well as savings calculations)
    If you don't like what I say slap me around with a large trout and PM me to tell me why.

If you do like it please hit the thanks button.
  • Rob_192
    Rob_192 Posts: 289 Forumite
    Options
    rb10 wrote: »

Yep, pitifull isn't it!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.2K Spending & Discounts